Another Shooting in America

The Fish

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/gun-loving-us-cop-draws-twitter-jeers-after-aggressive-encounter-with-canadians/article4471289/

........the actual letter mentioned in the article

I recently visited Calgary from Michigan. As a police officer for 20 years, it feels strange not to carry my off-duty hand-gun. Many would say I have no need to carry one in Canada.

Yet the police cannot protect everyone all the time. A man should be al-lowed to protect himself if the need arises. The need arose in a theatre in Aurora, Colo., as well as a college campus in Canada.

Recently, while out for a walk in Nose Hill Park, in broad daylight on a paved trail, two young men approached my wife and me. The men stepped in front of us, then said in a very aggressive tone: "Been to the Stampede yet?"

We ignored them. The two moved closer, repeating: "Hey, you been to the Stampede yet?"

I quickly moved between these two and my wife, replying, "Gentle-men, I have no need to talk with you, goodbye." They looked bewildered, and we then walked past them.

I speculate they did not have good intentions when they approached in such an aggressive, disrespectful and menacing manner. I thank the Lord Jesus Christ they did not pull a weapon of some sort, but rather concluded it was in their best interest to leave us alone.

Would we not expect a uniformed officer to pull his or her weapon to intercede in a life-or-death encounter to protect self, or another? Why then should the expectation be lower for a citizen of Canada or a visitor? Wait, I know - it's because in Canada, only the criminals and the police carry handguns.

Walt Wawra, Kalamazoo, Mich.

http://www.theglobea...article4471289/

........the actual letter mentioned in the article

I recently visited Calgary from Michigan. As a police officer for 20 years, it feels strange not to carry my off-duty hand-gun. Many would say I have no need to carry one in Canada.

Yet the police cannot protect everyone all the time. A man should be al-lowed to protect himself if the need arises. The need arose in a theatre in Aurora, Colo., as well as a college campus in Canada.

Recently, while out for a walk in Nose Hill Park, in broad daylight on a paved trail, two young men approached my wife and me. The men stepped in front of us, then said in a very aggressive tone: "Been to the Stampede yet?"

We ignored them. The two moved closer, repeating: "Hey, you been to the Stampede yet?"

I quickly moved between these two and my wife, replying, "Gentle-men, I have no need to talk with you, goodbye." They looked bewildered, and we then walked past them.

I speculate they did not have good intentions when they approached in such an aggressive, disrespectful and menacing manner. I thank the Lord Jesus Christ they did not pull a weapon of some sort, but rather concluded it was in their best interest to leave us alone.

Would we not expect a uniformed officer to pull his or her weapon to intercede in a life-or-death encounter to protect self, or another? Why then should the expectation be lower for a citizen of Canada or a visitor? Wait, I know - it's because in Canada, only the criminals and the police carry handguns.

Walt Wawra, Kalamazoo, Mich.

That's astounding. How does he interpret two men saying that as ones who may have pulled a gun on him? :lol:

Over in this country you'd probably look a bit awkward and say 'yewut? Stampede?' and keep on walking but certainly not think that you were about to get a gun pulled on you.

The access to guns is far too easy and it just breeds unnecessary paranoia like the one displayed in that letter. That mentality where you know everyone is probably armed so any show of aggression/abnormal behaviour/daring to talk to a stranger in the street is construed as a possible threat to your life is ridiculous. How very sad.

On my way home from New Cross last night I was approached by a bloke who literally said "You're a big fella so I'm not going to try and punch you, but have you got 10p so I can get a bag of chips?" :lol:

I speculate he did not have good intentions when he approached in such an aggressive, disrespectful and menacing manner. I thank the Lord Jesus Christ he did not pull a weapon of some sort, but rather concluded it was in his best interest to leave me alone.

On my way home from New Cross last night I was approached by a bloke who literally said "You're a big fella so I'm not going to try and punch you, but have you got 10p so I can get a bag of chips?" :lol:

I speculate he did not have good intentions when he approached in such an aggressive, disrespectful and menacing manner. I thank the Lord Jesus Christ he did not pull a weapon of some sort, but rather concluded it was in his best interest to leave me alone.

I was walking down Northumberland street when one of the groups of punks came and and said "Alreet big man seeing as how you're a bit to big to mug could you spare a quid?" Laughing my arse off I gave them a fiver. I was flush at the time.

Did you give him 10p though??

He's already blatantly told you that he thought you were a 'big fella'. Maybe he's also thanking the Lord Christ you didn't pull your weapon out.

He's already blatantly told you that he thought you were a 'big fella'. Maybe he's also thanking the Lord Christ you didn't pull your weapon out.

As the man started walking away bow-legged and still without the 10p he'd originally came for, Meenz patted him on the backside and whispered 'awooga'.

Do you think these things are more prevalent or that international 24hr media coverage ensures you hear of them all....despite numbers actually falling.

weapons.png

Killings are down on all gun types and...and any other method for that matter.

Well that graph shows it was starting to increase from 04-05 slightly and who knows what it is 05-12? Prob need to see if way it was reported changed as well.

Well that graph shows it was starting to increase from 04-05 slightly and who knows what it is 05-12? Prob need to see if way it was reported changed as well.

But over 35 years, if anything the number of killings drop...using any weapons. There may be a spike in the last 5 years. it would be interesting to see the data, but overall the trend is for a fall.

The argument you often hear is often that semi-automatic weapons should be banned. Hand guns and rifles aren't capable of causing the carnage you see in these sprees. However hand guns are still by far the biggest killers, even as semi-automatic weaponry becomes more affordable and popular, so a ban on the hi-tech weaponry will have little relative impact.

It's also interseting that this decline goes hand in hand with population growth, so I would guess the number of gun killings per head in the US is dropping even more dramatically over the same period.

• 2 weeks later...

From the Beeb

Several people shot at New York's Empire State Building

Several people have been shot near the Empire State Building in New York City, the authorities have said.

Local news media are reporting that the gunshots were heard before 09:00 (13:00 GMT). The Associated Press news agency said the shooter was dead.

It is not clear how many people were wounded or what their conditions were. The shooting occurred at 34th Street and Fifth Avenue.