Atromitos Athens v Newcastle United

Christmas Tree

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looked like a pre season game for us too tbh. Obertan is right up there with the worst footballers I've ever seen play for us. Not because of a lack of ability (although I see nothing particularly good) but because he has no heart whatsoever. I've never seen anyone so scared to take his man on. It's quite pathetic really!

I don't have much patience left for Gosling either, he's not had much of a run but he's also shown fuck all.

I'm confident we'll beat them next week but I'm not at all confident that any team that has Squidward and Gosling in will do much more.

First sold in the summer like. You can almost see Pardew getting sick of them game by game. Thought Amalfitano showed more promise in his cameo than Gosling has in 3 years.

Nice solid performance though with a couple of shakes from Tavernier who will soon get those mistakes stamped out of him. Anita looks tidy as owt, Marveaux needed more of the ball in the 1st half instead of going down the right with no reward.

Away goal and we can knack them at home no bother. Happy days.

Guest CabayeAye

Everton won't be laughing at us - they lost a player they wanted to keep and got no fee for him.

But they haven't had to pay the wages of a non-player for three years. How much have we paid him for what amounts to a sum total of fuck all value added?

I dont think it should be expected at all to be honest. He should have positioned himself better after the 2nd time it happened. 3rd was a goal. he did seem to get his act together in the 2nd half though. Maybe pards told him how to handle him. Looked decent on the ball though.

From what I've gleamed;

Positives: An away goal. No injuries. Good run out for those needing fitness. Good opportunity for those needing experience. Going off this performance we'll beat them at home.

Negatives: Could have put the tie to bed with a two goal win and the side we put out should have been capable of that. Dodgy defending/'keeping cost us that win, rather than them being brilliant. Obertan, isn't good enough. Williamson is a walking foul-machine. Harper seems rusty and old.

Chelsea on the weekend is a massive game in my eyes. Get a result there and we can build momentum for 4 very winnable league games.

Marveaux has a good touch on him. Wish it was Obertan that came off for Jonas instead of him. Would have liked Amaltifano and Campbell giving a little bit longer together. Their link up play was excellent towards the end of the game.

Keeps Harper reasonably sharp if he's called upon.

Maybe but even when he's sharp he's so slow moving nowadays is it worth it?

I missed the first half though so didn't see either goal as they happened, no idea if he was at fault but you'd think our first choice keeper would be better choice behind a second string defence as it were.

Guest CabayeAye

From what I've gleamed;

Positives: An away goal. No injuries. Good run out for those needing fitness. Good opportunity for those needing experience. Going off this performance we'll beat them at home.

Negatives: Could have put the tie to bed with a two goal win and the side we put out should have been capable of that. Dodgy defending/'keeping cost us that win, rather than them being brilliant. Obertan, isn't good enough. Williamson is a walking foul-machine. Harper seems rusty and old.

Chelsea on the weekend is a massive game in my eyes. Get a result there and we can build momentum for 4 very winnable league games.

Totally agree. The positives really are important here. The key thing is that we will still need our 2nd XI for cup/Europa games and to backfill the 1st XI when injuries kick in. I think to progress we need to get a solid 2nd XI. This means replacing Tavernier (not ready yet), Obertan (embarrassingly bad), Gosling (won't make it) and Harper (past it). We could also do with another striker so we don't have to fatigue/risk Ba or Cisse against clogger teams on pie pitches in 1000 degree heat on a Thursday night.

The solution is to buy Debuchy, Carroll and a CB in the next week (come on Mike!), or more realistically, to start Amalfitano over Obertan and start to cut Abeid's teeth rather than that duck egg Gosling. We could do with Ameobi staying fit too, but he's getting on a bit now, and has always had injury problems.

In all, we're in for a long season, and we're going to need our athletes (Colo, Jonas, Cabaye, Cisse) to play a lot of games this year unless we get a piss easy draw in the cups and Europe and our 2nd string sort their act out.

On the plus side, a draw away on a hot Thursday night in Greece with our second team is a good result. We'll hammer these at home.

We didnt get beat thats the main thing and we have any away goal.

Williamson needs to be told about giving away so many needless free kicks, he is thick as fuck.

Great goal by RTaylor, but after so many wasted free kicks and thrown in's and corners to Williamson who needlessly gave them away, we need to have a plan B for set peices.

I was impressed with Bigirimana and Anita, tidy play. Obertan though, well, we all have the same opinions on him, i.e he is shit.

I wish the commentators would shut up to with the "Oh they are tired out there" FFS Man, its the start of the season! If they look tired now were fucked come Christmas!

It was 38 degrees wyki.

As for Williamson, this will be his first game dealing with European refs who are typically pickier than PL ones and certainly football league ones where he's spent most of his career so far. Its about experience.