The Good The Bad And The Ugly

Happy Face

It's not about whether he's a brilliant player, it's about whether he's a successful signing.

He has been flawless the last 10 ish times I've seen him play. He cost relatively little and he's earning a relatively low wage. He can play right across the back four and also cover central midfield. I'd say he's a successful signing.

How are you defining ugly? We never really saw enough of Kuqi to work out if he was bad or not.

Bad and ugly are much of a muchness really, never put much thought into it. Could formalize it as ugly means they've had too many injuries to be blamed for being a bad signing.

The bad outweigh the good, but its impressive how well we do when we spend....and interesting how bad when we go very cheap.

Can Santon, hand on heart, truly be called a good signing?

No he can be called a superb signing, we signed him for £5m and there have already been enquiries about him with far greater figures quoted than that. He was very good towards the back of the season, you can't expect a 20 year old kid to be up to the pace of the Premiership 5 games in, he got better and better, he'll play for games for Italy and his next club will be Juve, Inter or Milan. People who attend games will have been able to see his progress better than people who don't go.

I think a few of the "ugly" ones are strange.

Marveaux - Looks good what we've seen though dont think he's been seen for a few days!

Abeid - Looks a good player but one of the bairns, should see more this season

Perch - I hated him when he joined and for a while after. Proved me wrong last season. Our new Aaron hughes.

Gosling - See Abeid.

Bad and ugly are much of a muchness really, never put much thought into it. Could formalize it as ugly means they've had too many injuries to be blamed for being a bad signing.

The bad outweigh the good, but its impressive how well we do when we spend....and interesting how bad when we go very cheap.

I think you've been harsh on Abeid and Marveaux and perhaps even Gosling. Also, there hasn't been a signing that is as bad as Cabayer (say) is good.

Aye cant put Marveaux in that category because on that basis then at this time last year HBA would have been an ugly signing! Dont agree on Gosling or Abeid either, too early to judge! And yes, harsh on Perch.

Cabaye has to be bad.

look in these eyes ....

cabaye.jpg

and tell me they're not the dead eyes of a cold assassin

lee-van-cleef-03.jpg

:lol:

Mortimer is my all time favorite villain. Imagine being in the bar pulling with that stare. Men wet themselves. Women too.

Aye cant put Marveaux in that category because on that basis then at this time last year HBA would have been an ugly signing! Dont agree on Gosling or Abeid either, too early to judge! And yes, harsh on Perch.

This time last year HBA was an ugly signing, he'd hardly played any games. Even now, he's still only managed 24 starts in 2 years, which despite his moments of genius hasn't justified his fee....though you can see he clearly will, if he can keep starting games.

This time last year HBA was an ugly signing, he'd hardly played any games. Even now, he's still only managed 24 starts in 2 years, which despite his moments of genius hasn't justified his fee....though you can see he clearly will, if he can keep starting games.

His fee was £2.5m. We've done worse - we had Joey Barton in his position a few years back, who managed about 24 games in 4 years.

The points he's won us, the shirts he's probably sold, the extra incentive for fans to buy tickets knowing they'll see an exciting player and most importantly the boost he gave to our French/Europenan profile have justified the fee already imo

Might not have got Cabaye that summer if it wasn't for our treatment of Ben Arfa.

edit: even if he never played for us again for some bizarre reason

Edited by jonasjuice

Perch would be hovering somewhere in between. Was certainly bad/ugly initially but since his second coming he's been in the good side. Limited yes, but for the price has done very well especially when you consider how horribly poor he looked. To this day I am still astounded with how far along he has come - but still not totally convinced that we'll see old Perch come out again on occassion.

Given Santon's age and coming from a different league I don't thin you could say that his signing has been anything but good. The best part about it as far as I'm concerned is that he's continually getting better.

Interesting about Santon. Definitely like the look of him going forward but cant say I've noticed greatness from him with regard to defending. Was watching a few clips of the Spurs game in the pub last night and he looked a bit all at sea to me when challenging Defoe for their goal and earlier when the cross came in and Bale headed off the bar.

Really struggling to recall any great defending prowess. (I have the memory span of a Goldfish however).

The points he's won us, the shirts he's probably sold, the extra incentive for fans to buy tickets knowing they'll see an exciting player and most importantly the boost he gave to our French/Europenan profile have justified the fee already imo

I think that's optimistic tbh. Ben Arfa has sold plenty of shirts and he's my nephews favourite player (cos i told him he is), but our entire merchandising and other commercial income is £15m. If every fan in the stadium had Ben Arfa on their back the income off it would only be £2m gross....then you'd have to deduct the other costs like material, staff, JJBs cut etc.

No chance Ben Arfa is single handedly responsible for over a third of our commercial income.

Interesting about Santon. Definitely like the look of him going forward but cant say I've noticed greatness from him with regard to defending. Was watching a few clips of the Spurs game in the pub last night and he looked a bit all at sea to me when challenging Defoe for their goal and earlier when the cross came in and Bale headed off the bar.

Really struggling to recall any great defending prowess. (I have the memory span of a Goldfish however).

Thank you; that's rather similar to my own take on him.