If you're depressed and think you can't go on.

Kevin Carr's Gloves

And it looks like Gene's blocked me, for saying he's a prole like the rest of us :lol:

Howman why are you literally posting (about) shit on here instead of enjoying your holiday?

LTB I think the bloke with the sellotape may be on secondment at BAE Portsmouth...

i've not blocked you at all!!!!!!

i wouldn't know how to do so!!!!

and my holiday ended 3 days ago, sadly

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And it looks like Gene's blocked me, for saying he's a prole like the rest of us :lol:

Howman why are you literally posting (about) shit on here instead of enjoying your holiday?

LTB I think the bloke with the sellotape may be on secondment at BAE Portsmouth...

Bairns and missus were having a siesta and I got bored. Going out for last night now though. (sniffs /sobs).

i've not blocked you at all!!!!!!

i wouldn't know how to do so!!!!

and my holiday ended 3 days ago, sadly

oh sorry old son, it wouldnt let me quote you a few minutes ago.

I was a member of the eetpu, now Unite as you say. Are you the ghost of Len Chapple?

oh sorry old son, it wouldnt let me quote you a few minutes ago.

I was a member of the eetpu, now Unite as you say. Are you the ghost of Len Chapple?

Len Chapple being the offspring of Frank Chapple & Len Murray? If you were from south of the river, my old fella would have been your branch secretary, treasurer & who knows what for all time.

i'm from AUT, or UCU as we now are

See, as a Gosforth child with a dad who's a dyed-in-the-wool Lib Dem, I was all ready to tar myself with the middle-class brush until I read what NJS said about "good working class values (community/humility/work ethic)" - because that's precisely what's been instilled in me, from my dad and the generations before him, even with my relatively comfortable upbringing. And I can't imagine feeling at ease with it being any other way.

I suppose (as others have said) it's a question of whether aspiration - and success - means automatically surrendering your class status. My folks are now, and will retire, Gosforth stock but they bought their first house in Benwell for next to nowt after years on a mortgage waiting list and grafted their way up to the comfort they were able to provide me as a kid. So I've never wanted for a safety net, but equally I've never been spoiled (if anything, they were over-keen to ensure I wasn't :lol:).

But I think I would still automatically tend to equate "middle-class", or at least "comfortably off", with precisely that safety net - if you know you could go back to your mam and dad in the worst-case scenario and have them bail you out, even if you'd never have the brass neck to actually go through with it, then there's an argument you've edged into middle-class territory. Question is, is that so bad?

Totally agree that income is nowt to do with it. I'd say it was more a state of mind and general way you live.

I do ok financially, run a business, live in a canny house and have the usual trappings. But like fuck am I middle class :lol:

Brought up 50/50 between Benwell then West Denton and had my first flat in Newbigging Hall.

Certainly class myself as "working class" but the classes are not what they were at all.

Read once somewhere that upper class people see middle class as working class people who were too stuck up and wanted to be upper class but weren't.

We had this entire thread a couple of years ago. We live in the classless society now anyway imo

I was thinking that as I typed my post, bit of de-ja-vu.

We had this entire thread a couple of years ago. We live in the classless society now anyway imo

Very naive to believe that imo when this country has the largest aristocracy in the world. There's obviously a blur between working and middle class though.

JawD can describe himself as working class of he wants but he really isn't. But there's always been an inverse snobbery on football messageboards.

Also, I'd like to know how the virtues that NJS and Meenzer assigned to the working class are specific to them. Completely agree that both the working and middle classes adulation of royal parasites is one of the worst things about this country, but also why the class system is not dead.

Also, I'd like to know how the virtues that NJS and Meenzer assigned to the working class are specific to them.

I don't know that they necessarily are. Maybe it's more the case that we should all be in it together against the toffs.

Very naive to believe that imo when this country has the largest aristocracy in the world. There's obviously a blur between working and middle class though.

JawD can describe himself as working class of he wants but he really isn't. But there's always been an inverse snobbery on football messageboards.

Also, I'd like to know how the virtues that NJS and Meenzer assigned to the working class are specific to them. Completely agree that both the working and middle classes adulation of royal parasites is one of the worst things about this country, but also why the class system is not dead.

:lol: Does he bathe in asses milk or something?

I'm much the same as him, doing well at the moment, but its in a traditional working class business which now pays very well. My old man was a joiner and my mum was a home help. Our house was and is a shrine to literature, theres books everywhere. Is that middle class? It seems like it might be to some on here, but trying to educate and improve yourself or just simply taking an interest in the world around you isnt the preserve of doctors or lawyers, its for everyone if they choose to do it.

:lol: Does he bathe in asses milk or something?

I'm much the same as him, doing well at the moment, but its in a traditional working class business which now pays very well. My old man was a joiner and my mum was a home help. Our house was and is a shrine to literature, theres books everywhere. Is that middle class? It seems like it might be to some on here, but trying to educate and improve yourself or just simply taking an interest in the world around you isnt the preserve of doctors or lawyers, its for everyone if they choose to do it.

Well seeing as KCG called me a cunt for describing a Wallsend chippie owner as working class, I'm canny sure as a small business owner with several employees, and living in Lanchester, JawD is middle class!

You sound like your from a poor bohemian family. ;)

You can't be Bohemian and working-class.

Heck, you can barely be Bohemian and working.

Yes, then you become bohemian-bourgeoise or bo-bo as we call it over here. I'm bo-bo.

Edited by ChezGiven

Not something I can articulate easily but I always felt that working class people made the best of life despite being "poor" to whatever extent and concentrated on building loving families more than anything whereas I see middle class values as being a bit more materialistic - especially the obsession with property values. Middle class people value people by their wealth imo whereas working class people value more human qualities.

Of course this could be generalised, biased bollocks because I came from a "good" working class background where especially my Mam always saw the good in other people.

As an aside I always find it funny now how politicians and media go on about the "middle income families" as if there are great numbers of them usually defined as not much above higher tax band. In fact only 11% pay 40% or more which means there are a lot of people on pretty average/modest earnings who still see themselves as middle class - maybe that's just a result of wanting to put distance between themselves and the underclass.

Woah fucking WOAH! Am I bollocks middle class :lol:

My Da's a bus driver from Slaty depot and my local used to be the Whin Dyke until it was knocked down. On that alone how the fuck could I be :lol:

As said, classes are bollocks these days anyway.

Agree with PaddockLad btw.