If you're depressed and think you can't go on.

Kevin Carr's Gloves

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If people are interested they should look up the sociological definitions which are freely available. It's not about income but there's obviously a positive association with money. My Dad was middle class (lecturer) but we had much less money growing up than our working class chip shop owning neighbour.

Wolfy's comment was as ridiculous as GC's btw. And the op was fairly ridiculous too, what point is it making?

you say that, but plenty of people on benefits and with no or low income jobs will have the above.

I don't think it's so much about classes anymore as it is about income and wealth in my opinion, my parents came from low income areas with family who were a proper working class background(laborers/farmers etc ), and then when mum/dad went to work they started off on the bottom rung of the company they worked for and then worked their way up, after leaving school at 16/17.

Does it make them middleclass because they ended up eventually earning good money and having the things that go along with it? or working class because of the background they came from and how they got there?

Or me, i pretty much did the same (rare for people my age nowadays in fairness), but coming from growing up in small houses when i was a kid, leaving school without a-levels/going to uni but then ending up where i am now.

Am i working class because of the background i had/education level i stopped at or am i middle-class because i was intelligent enough to get to where i was without them and earn the kind of wage i do now?

i think in previous generations it was a mixture of the two, the less professional jobs paid less money so the two would come hand in hand, where as now you can be a laborer/cab driver/whatever and make pretty good money, so it's pretty much blurred.

edit > see people already pretty much said what i did, only home and not read feck all on here today so skipped to the end :blush:

and geneclarks post was one of the most idiotic i've read on here classes have absolutely fuck all to do with killing people, hence why the educated white lad from suburban america gunned down a load of people going to batman, sick/insane people are simply that, wealth/class/education has nothing to do with it.

Good post.

If people are interested they should look up the sociological definitions which are freely available. It's not about income but there's obviously a positive association with money. My Dad was middle class (lecturer) but we had much less money growing up than our working class chip shop owning neighbour.

Wolfy's comment was as ridiculous as GC's btw. And the op was fairly ridiculous too, what point is it making?

1 it was a rant.

2 owning a chip shop is not working class you fuckwit.

Can we please pack it in with the personal abuse, not just in this thread but there's been a lot of it the last few days. Is it rag week for all blokes or something?

1 it was a rant.

2 owning a chip shop is not working class you fuckwit.

Just checked and you're right. Owning a chip shop in wallsend makes you middle class apparently. What about being a plumber then?

The point I'm making is, there isn't any such thing as class. There is such thing as people having more money but that shouldn't be a reason for people to put themselves into a class.

The point I'm making is, there isn't any such thing as class. There is such thing as people having more money but that shouldn't be a reason for people to put themselves into a class.

:lol: Have you heard of / believe in the monarchy?

Guest CabayeAye

Upper class - Royalty, Aristocracy.

Middle class - Professionals, public school, quality graduates.

Working class - Grafters, good lads.

Underclass - Charvers who don't intend to ever work.

This is the reality. In execution, people generally think they are one step above what they really are, i.e Charvers think they are working class despite having never worked a day in their lives, someone who works in Tesco thinks they are middle class etc.

i was born among the working class; my father was an electrician for the council & my mother a shop worker; we lived in a council estate (2 heatherwell green in felling if you are interested). i knew by my teens i was better than those i lived around; hence by the time i was 13, i was reading "the daily telegraph," which i filched from ralphie dixon's paper shop in felling (i had a morning & afternoon round there), while my dad read "the daily mirror."

i watched bbc2, regardless of programme as they watched itv (other than when i watched football) & i listened to radio 3 while they listened to radio newcastle. i drank coffee while they drank tea. i was a vegetarian as they ate meat.

while they came home tired & dirty from work, i read french & russian 19th century novels. while they paid rent, i bought property.

yes, i left the working class behind