Newcastle sign four year shirt deal with ''Wonga''

Holden McGroin

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see anything wrong with season tickets. I've had one since the mid eighties and me dad's had his since the mid seventies.

Standing is a miss like and I think it would be universally welcomed back.

Don't think for a moment it would be universally welcomed back.

Older people, women, your discerning punter, people with kids etc etc

Can't see many of them wanting to stand. Should be a standing section but definitely a lot are very happy with a seat.

Interestingly CT quite a lot of old school football fans are annoyes at those groups turning up at football grounds, still, standing would be brilliant, keep Leazes and Milburn seated and have the rest standing would be my scenario. Only ever stood twice at professional football in my life, once at Griffin Park and once at York Street, two of the most enjoyable footballing experiences I've had and the fact that the FA think its 'unsafe' while allowing anyone below the championship to stand shows just how little they care about the teams that aren't earning them money from around the world.

Don't think for a moment it would be universally welcomed back.

Older people, women, your discerning punter, people with kids etc etc

Can't see many of them wanting to stand. Should be a standing section but definitely a lot are very happy with a seat.

I didn't mean to suggest a desire for all standing stadia, just as you say standing sections.

I'd be fully behind a couple of standing sections. The Bundesliga have terraced areas don't they? Thought I read somewhere that Aston Villa were looking into it as well.

Been standing at AFC Wimbledon games for the past few years and it's class. Sing louder, celebrate harder and you chat more to the lads around you.

I'd be fully behind a couple of standing sections. The Bundesliga have terraced areas don't they? Thought I read somewhere that Aston Villa were looking into it as well.

Been standing at AFC Wimbledon games for the past few years and it's class. Sing louder, celebrate harder and you chat more to the lads around you.

You can stand at a football ground without suffering a horrific death? I don't believe you.

Guest Your Name Here

Sentimental twoddle ;)

I certainly wouldnt want to go back to the days of standing in the gallowgate with people pissing down your leg and cement barriers threatening life and limb each time a goal was scored. And lets not even get started on food and refreshments.

Or watching some of the turgid players on turgid surfaces playing turgid football. Alan Shoulder or Papisse Cisse?

Unfortunately we can not choose the bits of the modern game we like. Its a package.

But looking back to the eighties as though it was some golden time of football. No thanks.

An Alan Shoulder goal was celebrated with all the verve that meets a Cisse goal today, possibly more as everybody in the ground wanted to be there. Unlike today with it's Season ticket culture.

It's true the facilties weren't great, but improved sanitation has brought a sanitised experience. There was no need for singing sections in the 80's. And it was (your mate?) Maggie Thatcher and her cages that posed the greatest threat to public safety.

I'm with Howman. Match-going is a pale shadow of what it used to be. An expensive, soulless experience smeared in the kind of greedy money obsessed shite we've seen the week.

I prefer the away games simply because we stand throughout. I for one would try and get my season ticket moved into any "standing section". People who are against it, simply look at how many games for how many decades people stood and compare that v tragedies suffered at matches. If safety precautions are met then there is no problem.

Sentimental twoddle ;)

I certainly wouldnt want to go back to the days of standing in the gallowgate with people pissing down your leg and cement barriers threatening life and limb each time a goal was scored. And lets not even get started on food and refreshments.

Or watching some of the turgid players on turgid surfaces playing turgid football. Alan Shoulder or Papisse Cisse?

I've always thought tIf you can't go 2 hours without eating something theres something wrong with you - had a diabetes test lately?

Alan Shoulder or Gabriel Obertan is a comparison where you'd lose.

Interestingly CT quite a lot of old school football fans are annoyes at those groups turning up at football grounds, still, standing would be brilliant, keep Leazes and Milburn seated and have the rest standing would be my scenario. Only ever stood twice at professional football in my life, once at Griffin Park and once at York Street, two of the most enjoyable footballing experiences I've had and the fact that the FA think its 'unsafe' while allowing anyone below the championship to stand shows just how little they care about the teams that aren't earning them money from around the world.

Todays game is about todays supporters. Most "old school" football fans are tucked up with a blanket in the east stand. Really depends which school you call old. Standing if for teenagers, some twenty somethings and a handful of thrity somethings who should know better.

I think you would find the vast majority of the 52,000 in SJP do not want to stand (or sing for that matter :lol: )

Well the fact that most away fans stand tells me theres a correlation between wanting to stand and passion/dedication or whatever you want to call it.

Edited by NJS

Why should these 30 somethings know better? Wanting to create an atmosphere is something childish?! I'd say a lot more want to sing than do sing, but if you're in the East Stand and you're surrounded by old farts with sandwiches you're hardly gonna start standing and screaming at the top of your lungs. Standing areas would get the rest of the ground involved too, with a better atmosphere those nearest to the areas are more likely to sing, with a trickle effect all around the ground, rather than small groups trying to start chants and fuck all coming of it. That's why away supports usually sound so loud regardless of what ground you go to, they're all standing, all passionate fans together and with everyone around singing more are likely to get into it. Being in your 30's, 40's or however old you are and wanting to stand shouldn't make you some immature thug who should start bringing prawn sandwiches and spend your time at the game talking about your kids.

Todays game is about todays supporters. Most "old school" football fans are tucked up with a blanket in the east stand. Really depends which school you call old. Standing if for teenagers, some twenty somethings and a handful of thrity somethings who should know better.

I think you would find the vast majority of the 52,000 in SJP do not want to stand (or sing for that matter :lol: )

"Should know better". Why should they know better? Shouldn't people have a choice over whether or not they stand or sit at a football match, regardless of their age? Our full away support stands for 90 minutes at every match, and has done for quite a few years now. I think you'd be surprised at how many people would choose to stand if they were given the choice, and weren't treated like a criminal for doing so.

Edited by TheDimpleboy

Also known as youth

Bollocks, it's passion. You'll find geriatrics who want to stand and relive some of their youth. You're just a "modern" fan. You want to sit in a comfortable chair, eat a couple of hamburgers and a nice cup of tea and chat to your neighbours as you quietly observe the carefully branded and cleverly marketed product that's presented before you.

I'm a snob and instead of the above, I'd rather stand behind the goal, the sweaty arm of a fat chav slung round my shoulder as we sing until our lungs collapse.

Bollocks, it's passion. You'll find geriatrics who want to stand and relive some of their youth. You're just a "modern" fan. You want to sit in a comfortable chair, eat a couple of hamburgers and a nice cup of tea and chat to your neighbours as you quietly observe the carefully branded and cleverly marketed product that's presented before you.

I'm a snob and instead of the above, I'd rather stand behind the goal, the sweaty arm of a fat chav slung round my shoulder as we sing until our lungs collapse.

Not one for this "this" "+1" or other variations but that about nailed it.

For a lot of away games CT, not counting the Charver national holidays of Wigan etc, the majority of the away fans are the old timers like me (not me anymore but certainly mates of mine) who though they may enjoy the niceness of home games on occasion also appreciate and enjoy a chance to go fucking mental. Its sad that that option is now only really available on a minority basis and I'd love to see a chance for it to come back for more people.

However I also know that the twats who run football now will never let it happen. Sadly its with the help of people like you who think football is some kind of modern theatre experience rather than what it should be - tribal warfare.

One thing you will notice if we continue to play in Europe is that by and large continental fans haven't lost the passion that too many British fans have - thats why the atmospheres are generally much better.

Whatever :lol:

Been there, done it, got the T. shirt. This modern fan was standing in the gallowgate when Keegan played, when Mirandhina kicked Dave beasant in the back and when Johnny rep sent a 30 yard volley in in the 70's. As for you, the closest you've probably been to a chav is watching Eastenders so dont go all soopafan on me ffs.

And as for some kid stood in his Wills joggers been more passionate than some 50 or 60 year old sat in his seat kicking every ball, give over.