View from the Opposition - WBA fan

LiamBaggies

Hi,

First of all I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules and I hope I've placed this topic in the correct place.

I am a moderator on www.westbrom.com and we run a weekly View from the opposition where I ask questions to the opposing fans and they respond with their answers. I then take the answers and create a finished article which shall be posted in this topic later on this week. For an example of what we do click the link: http://westbrom.com/...hp?topic=9533.0

1. What have you made of your start to the season so far?

2. What are your opinions our our start to the season so far?

3. We've recently seen Alan Pardew given a new eight year contract, what are your reactions to this?

4. Mike Ashley always seemed an unpopular figure around your parts, what are your opinions on him?

5. What are your opinions on WBA as a football club alongside its supporters?

6. Which players in your side should we look out for, and which players in our side do you fear?

7. What are you expecting for the remainder of the season?

8. What are you expecting from WBA for the remainder of the season? Do we have a chance of Europe?

9. What side is Alan Pardew most likely to put out?

10. And finally, score predictions.

Thank you for taking part and here's to an entertaining game.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in line with what i expected. we overachieved last season

i'd say you're doing better than you probably imagined you would. i see your lot staying up but almost certainly slipping down the table a bit.

3. We've recently seen Alan Pardew given a new eight year contract, what are your reactions to this?

more pr guff from our clueless owners. the contract is meaningless. if ashley wants rid, he'll sack him. there are bound to be clauses in there protecting the ower from paying out a massive compensation fee. i wouldn't be surprised if pardew does stick around though. he's a yes man and hasn't rocked the boat ... yet

4. Mike Ashley always seemed an unpopular figure around your parts, what are your opinions on him?

tosser that knows nowt about football and doesn't care about pissing off the support. he's a gambler by nature. he completely rebuilt the team last season, bringing in players that were untried in the premiership and scored backjack - we discovered some gems and they gelled. this year he's gambled again by adding few of the necessary additions the squad needed. so far we are about par. last season we were very lucky with injuries. this season we haven't been and the lack of depth in the squad that we were all worried about is being exposed.

good family club; well run, good support. i can't think of anything bad to say about your lot. the owner has made some astute decisions in recent years over which managers to bring in and you look to have shed the reputation of being a yo yo club, which is an excellent achievement given your financial constraints. you remind me of charlton a decade ago.

6. Which players in your side should we look out for, and which players in our side do you fear?

ben arfa is our match winner. ba and cisse when on form will score goals. our two most influential players imo are colo and tiote. take those two out of the picture and we're nowhere near as hard to beat. i've got to be honest, i don't know enough about your side to say. - i only tend to watch our games these days. shane long seems to have scored a few goals this season so i'll say him.

more of the same. i expect us to draw games we were winning last season. we've still got enough to finish in the top half but i think it'll be a few places lower than last time around. the squad isn't deep enough to cope repeat last year's heroics with the added uefa cup fixtures.

8. What are you expecting from WBA for the remainder of the season? Do we have a chance of Europe?

nah, i expect you'll drop off to the mid table region, possibly vying with us somewhere between 8th and 12th.

Krul, Simpson, Colo, Taylor, Santon, Ben Arfa, Perch, Cabaye, Jonas, Cisse, Ba

2-1 home win

Edited by Dr Gloom

1. Disappointing overall.

2. I'm definitely impressed, it was clear there's some talent in the side, with the likes of Long an Olsson, not to mention the talent Lukaku seems to have, but I thought Clarke wasn't the best of choices. Still 6th in the leagues proved me wrong so far!

3.Ashley also gave Nile Ranger a long contract which we now can't get out of! He does it to get the most out of any potential buyout from a 'bigger' club I think and also to make out like he's some super owner who cares about what we think, then slyly announces something horrible, like the Wonga deals.

4. Only thinks of himself, however thanks to staff like Graham Carr, his stingy as fuck outlook paid off last season, whether it can last who knows, but if it does he deserves credit where it's due. Shame he has to ruin it with sports direct/giving us a joke of a loan shite etc.

5. Always had a soft spot that I can't put my finger on, especially considering i loathe most West Midlands sides (especially Villa). Your attendances for a town of your size are good but I've never been to the Hawthorns so fuck knows atmosphere wise etc.

6. Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Ba and Cisse are four players envied by the premier league. Longs a good player like.

7. Top ten.

8.You do have a chance of Europa if you keep up this form. That said we've all seen enough teams with Indian summers to know a few bad games and you could well be in the bottom 5.

9. 4-4-fucking2, if it doesn't work, try and try 620 times in a row.

10.2-2

Relatively slow start, but not too different from the start we made last season. The performances haven't been brilliant, but we've only been beaten by Chelsea and Man Utd so far. Disappointed not to pick up three points at Sunderland and at home to Villa though - that would have left us on the cusp on the top 4, level on points with yourselves.

Solid start to the season. I wonder how much of it is "new manager syndrome". Great home form, not so good away (hopefully that continues...).

Nice gesture, but ultimately meaningless. If we went through a prolonged period of failing, I'm sure he'd get the boot fairly swiftly. His contract is supposedly largely bonus driven rather than any monstrous annual salary, so the likely pay off - if it came to that - would not be astronomical.

He's made some horrendous decisions in his time, but he's now largely doing good for the club. We're not throwing money after players unnecessarily, we're paying relatively sensible wages and we have some very fair deals on season tickets at the moment. We could do without the Sports Direct branding on every bit of free space inside St James Park, but football seems to be going that way. I certainly prefer Ashley to Freddy Shepherd and Douglas Hall.

Never really had much interaction with WBA fans. As a club, you were alongside us in the year in the Championship, where we were clearly the best two sides in the division. Since then, we've both established ourselves as Premier League clubs. I doubt many people have bet money on either of us going down this season.

Hatem Ben Arfa and Demba Ba are two obvious players in terms of attacking threat. For WBA, Shane Long seems to be having a canny season so far, and Mulumbu has looked impressive.

Personally, I'm expecting us to pull together some sort of consistent form, continue to be strong at home and finish between 6th and 8th in the league. I'd probably settle for that too.

Everyone in that middle group has a chance of Europe. All it takes is a couple of favourable games on the fixture list, playing the right teams at the right time, and you can find yourself 6-9 points better off. It can make all the difference.

Krul

Simpson - Coloccini - Taylor - Santon

Ben Arfa - Anita or Perch or Bigirimana - Cabaye - Gutierrez

Ba - Cisse

2-1 to us

Very stuttering start, it seems like the Europa League and extensive international breaks are stopping the team find much fluidity. The fact that we've yet to consistently field our strongest 11 has also factored in to a slow start.

I had WBA down for the drop, but at the moment your lot look like a tidy outfit. Definitely an outside shot at finishing mid table without having to worry about looking over your shoulder. Still think Long is absolute gash though.

Hopefully it'll guarantee some long term stability which is something this club needs. 8 years seems a bit excessive, 5 would've been more appropriate given it's only his second full season.

Money-grabbing, tight-fisted twat who ultimately wants to protect his investment. He's definitely improved now that he's got the club to a stable footing but his reluctance to really invest in the defence this summer has so far been a very poor decision.

Always ranked them as an inoffensive yoyo club but I enjoyed watching the team with Jason Roberts and Koumas having a real go a few years back. Maybe this is the season your team can be taken more seriously.

Ben Arfa will be a real test for your defence but he's up against Ridgewell who I wanted us to sign - decent prem full back. Definitely our most dangerous player. Yacob had a very good game against Reading so be interested to see how he does. I don't, have never and likely will never view Long as a premiership footballer but I think his strength and running will be too much for Williamson if he plays. Lukaku looks like some player too.

If Colo and Saylor start I don't see WBA scoring tbh...

Semi final of the Europa League, top 8 finish in the prem is realistic. Would kill for a cup win though.

Only through the cup. Comfortable mid table though.

Krul, Santon, Saylor, Colo, Simpson, Jonas, Bigi, Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Ba, Cisse

2-0 Newcastle because I'm still bitter about the Reading game (home town club). :P

A. So so. I'm not disappointed as we have had injuries to deal with.

A. Shocked to be honest as I had you lot down for relegation.....just kidding. I am not surprised at where you are to be honest as some teams come out of the blocks earlier than others.

A. Absolutely over the moon. I think Pardew can take this club to the next level, so he needs time and the security to be able to do that. I think the contract shows the faith that the club have in him to propel us even further forward.

A. One of the best owners a club could have to be honest. He's brought the fickle fans back down to Earth and is showing how a football club should be run.......He's no mug and takes no shit from no one and along with Llambias, plus the management team they have put together and the way they have dragged this club screaming into reality, we can only benefit from it.In time I can see us flirting with the top sides for a stab at the title in maybe 3 /4 or 5 years.

A. A decent club with decent supporters.

A.All of them.......................I don't fear anyone in your side.

A. I never expect anything but I hope that we can finish strongly and nick a champions league place.

A. If you can steer clear of major injuries and suspensions, you have a very good chance.

A. Not too sure if he will opt for Cisse instead of Shola and Anita should probably replace Tiote. The rest should be the same as against Sunderland, injuries permitting of course.

A. Biggest win of the season for us, I'll go for 6-1

Utter shite. 4/10. We've played well once, and that was against Bordeaux. Having said that we've only lost twice, and they were to two teams who will expect to get to the last 8 of the Champions League.

Seems like Steve Clarke has taken to management well, (his last management toe dipper was a 6-0 defeat as manager of NUFC) early days though, you have some half decent players, if Lukaku was more prolific you could even be higher.

He's proved himself as a manager with us so reasonably pleased, he won't get emotional if they give him little money to spend, I like him as a manager, but he can't go a month without praising the most disgusting owner in British football.

Absolute cunt. I could say things about him here, about what I would like to happen to him that would get me locked up.

I've always liked WBA. I'll be honest with you I find the West Midlands boring, once you've spoken to a Villa fan you've spoken to them all, Wolves utter wanks I remember when they came up in 2003, and they were saying they'd be Champions League within a few seasons, they really believe they are a big club, while Birmingham City are nothing more than a generic non-entity with a sprinkling of hooligans, although I hope Clarkie does well. WBA have always been the most likeable of Midlands clubs, my first memories of them are turning us over 0-1 in the League Cup, then a week later we beat you 1-5 at the Hawthornes in the league. Modest fans, they have few OOT's, but have always had a solid 15000-20000 in almost all circumstances. For me WBA are just as big a club as Villa.

Without sounding arrogant I'm sure you know most of our players well, HBA can beat anyone on his own on his day, I think Demba will be itching to score again though, I think he might. I think a very underrated player for you is James Morrison, his deliveries are good, and pops up with the odd goal and plenty assists.

I don't know to be honest. If we plod on like we have we won't lose many but we'll be a disappointing 9th or 10th, whereas if we start playing like we're more than capable of, then 6th or 7th will be more than possible. I think Everton's bubble will burst.

I think you'll be 9th-12th good start for Steve Clarke.

Will be the same one as yesterday, maybe with Cisse in for Shola.

2-1 to the toon. Will be a shite game imo.

A. One of the best owners a club could have to be honest. He's brought the fickle fans back down to Earth and is showing how a football club should be run.......He's no mug and takes no shit from no one and along with Llambias, plus the management team they have put together and the way they have dragged this club screaming into reality, we can only benefit from it.In time I can see us flirting with the top sides for a stab at the title in maybe 3 /4 or 5 years.

What a cunt.

Poor, we failed to capitalise on last years great form and bring in the defensive cover we needed and it's cost us this year. We've also played poorly with underperforming players in the majority of our games. At least we're not losing mind.

Very good start, you have a very capable side which seems to be especially good on the break. Could be 'new manager syndrome' or just a purple patch but who cares? you're doing well.

Happy enough I guess as he's locked down if we do carry on improving but as others have mentioned Ashley will have put in all sorts of clauses so he can drop him if we start underperforming.

Horrible (Even though he's lost weight) fat bastard. He's turned us around financially and for that he does deserve credit, lots of it, but he's also fucked around and made a lot of decisions that, at times, seem only to piss the fans off in order to generate exposure for his brands. Still we could have the Venky's...

Good club, no complaints with any of your lot I've met and you all stick with your club good and bad. Can't say the same about your neighbours Villa mind, total bunch of fucking tramps.

Obvious one is Ben Arfa, the lad can do whatever he wants if he's in the mood and there's literally nowt the opposition can do to prevent that. Ba is very prolific, Cabaye has a fantastic range of passing plus wont be put off by being roughed up like some players can and Santon is really growing into a top player. Of your lot I'd say Long, he's quick and looks a tidy finisher, Mulumbu is a bit of a beast, McAuley seems to be creating a bit of bother for sides and Odemwingie I know he doesn't play every game but his past record against us is good.

Hopefully an improvement in our performances and with some strengthening in January I think we'll be comfortably top half.

Honestly no idea, you could do what dick heads like Mark Lawrenson expect and crumble or you could make the Europa like we did. I'm not going to give it the old 'it's only temporary' as it pissed me off when it was said about our form last year, you're performing at the minute and that's what matters there's no reason your lot can't make it, a 8-12th finish at worst.

Krul-Simpson-Colocinni-Taylor-Santon-Jonas-Cabaye-Bigirimana (probably Perch though)-Ba-Cisse-Ben Arfa

If we turn up I can see us winning 2-1, without Colocinni in the side I'd fear another rout from Williamson + Taylor being hopeless against quick counters.

Disappointing but not as bad as some are making out. Performances still aren't there, but it'll come. Big players will hit form and we'll start picking up wins.

Excellent start, Clarke has done really well. Only Chelsea, Arsenal and sunderland have conceded less and being strong at the back is a far sturdier foundation than relying on a striker being amongst the goals. I think you'll struggle away from home, but should have a decent season.

Shows a degree of faith from both parties in the other. Ashley knows contracts aren't ironclad, but this kind of deal is as much a warning to other clubs as it is a reward for Pardew's good work. I'm not expecting him to be here for 8yrs; We're Newcastle, some carnage is only ever just round the bend.

A man who couldn't give a shit about Newcastle United, but simply wants to be successful. He's ruthless when it comes to business, so if Cabaye were to do something untoward, he'd get no special treatment. Nobody is untouchable, nobody is bigger than the Fat Man's vision for the club. Wish he was more flexible when it comes to transfers as we have needed a centre half and a right back for the past three windows, but because those that've been on our radar haven't been available at the trice he's willing to pay, we've missed out. A good centrehalf instead of Williamson and we may have got Champions League last year, and wouldn't have been as porous this time round.

Echo what most have said; you seem a decent set of lads who don't take themselves too seriously and who are more concerned with their own team than that of their neighbours. Plus, you've rarely got players or managers who I'd take a dislike to. I don't think you'll ever challenge for the title, but I think you've enough to establish yourself as a Premier League mainstay now, shaking off that Yo-Yo tag.

Ben Arfa can be a game winner with a turn and a dribble but he needs to fancy it, Cisse can score from pretty much anywhere but is in lousy form, Ba is a good striker but needs service more than the previous two, but to be honest the most important players are Krul, Colo and Tiote. Those 3 play well and I don't worry about conceding really.

I worry about Long and Odemwingie as they're both players capable of finding the net, but I've rated Lukaku for a while and if he can play regularly I reckon he'll be a real goal threat. Not a huge fan of your defense and I think your current stoicism owes as much to the coaching as it does to the players.

Man U will win, City will be close, Chelsea will do well and the rest of the top 6 spots is anybody's guess. QPR, Southampton and Reading will go down. We'll do all right in Europe and the FA Cup, maybe a final. Probably end up 7th-8th unless we really strengthen in January.

I think you'll have a good season and get deserved plaudits, but no, I don't think you'll get into Europe unless you do well in the Cup. Not because you're a bad side or owt, but there's just too many pigs at the trough this year. Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Man C, Man U, Newcastle, Spurs will all be challenging for those places I reckon.

Not unlike the side that played against sunderland. Maybe Cisse for Shola, depending on what happens against Brugge. We might play a young side on Thursday so we can field a stronger side against you, especially given your good form.

If we can score we'll win. I reckon 2-0 Cisse with a brace.

As I expected to be honest, although it's taken us a while to get out of the lethargy of preseason mode. We've missed Colo so much and that has shown with some dodgy performances at the back. I think last season's effort was brilliant, but we we got a few lucky breaks (for example, lack of injuries). Not taking anything away from the team, as I haven't enjoyed seeing us play like that for a long time, and in a league where the 'business ends' are pretty much written before the season begins, it was exciting to see not just any team, but MY team going against the grain and causing trouble for the usual suspects at the top end of the table.

You look tidy like. Clarke knows the crack and I wish him all the best. Seems like there is a bit of purpose in your defensive set up, which is the first thing a team should always look to if they want to push on.

I'm glad he's pledged his future to the club (as I do believe he is one of the best up and coming British managers - even if he is 50 odd), though I'm skeptical as to whether there is other motives in both the offer of and the signing of the contract (years of lies have bred suspicion). Don't expect him to be with us in 8 years time, though for the time being I'm happy that he is manager. Gets a bad rap from the media I think sometimes.

He's a good businessman... and in the same sentence a terrible 'football man'. He has our transfer policy spot on - he is stubborn when he needs to be (like not letting clubs take the piss out of us with transfer fees...See Debuchy), yet has educated men taking care of scouting the talent and bargains out. Yet his disrespect for the club only suggests arrogance. There is so much to say about Ashley, though I think the most infuriating is that we never hear it truly from the horses mouth. It's always through a filter, which I find adds to his profile as a 'reluctant' supporter of the toon (obviously he always will be as he a cockney, but my point is that that distance would be reduced if he told it like it is). Sometimes I wish that he would address the fans as a man amongst men rather than let us know through Llambias what unsavoury thing he is going to do next with our club.

I don't know the ins and outs of your club, but I do appreciate you as a Premier League club. Your supporters seem canny enough lads - i.e. not taking football too seriously - though I haven't met enough of you lot to form a good opinion sorry. Perhaps the greatest/most backhanded compliment I could offer is that there are many, many more clubs I would like to see (and, right now, would expect to see) relegated before WBA.

Ben Arfa, Cabaye seems to have upped his game with the mackems. Demba Ba looks like he is really really enjoying his football at the minute.... Cisse will return to form sometime soon as well.

I'm expecting top 10 finish. Id be chuffed with top 7/8.

Why not? It doesn't take a miracle, just some good results and a bit of luck. You certainly look solid. Mind, would like the toon to get there in front of you :)

Apart from Cisse for Strola i can't imagine it being too different from the mackems. Hopefully a 4-3-3 though.

2-0 toon.

Edited by ADP

We've been uninspired but we're getting points, hallmark of a good side they say. we've suffered from a couple of players not firing like Cabaye and Cisse and our lack of sqaud depth, no tiote, colo or krul makes us a much poorer side.

I haven't seen much of you so I couldn't say much about how you're playing but you're up at the right end of the table which you wouldn't expect from WBA a few years ago.

I think its more for other clubs than it is for us or Pardew, there will be plenty of get out clauses in there if Ashley feels the need to sack him though it is interesting that the coaches and Graham Carr have been provided with similarly long term deals.

He can't seem to go very long without doing something to piss the fans off but when you look back at some of them and how they've turned out. Sacking Hughton and bringing in Pardew, we finish 5th missing out on the CL on the last day, changing the ground name, its now back to being SJP and generates revenue. I still think hes an arsehole though.

I didn't like you during the championship season, our closest rivals and you kicked the hell out of us during our matches.

now though Im pretty much neutral on you, which is about as good as it gets for other clubs.

Ba is in great scoring form, HBA can turn a game in an instant, Cabaye scored against sunderland and has started looking more like his last season self at times lately.

for your lot I'd be wary of Lukaku and Ive always been a fan of Zoltan Gera

Our big players to start performing, Cabaye and Cisse need to start shaping up more regularly particularly, if they do then I can see us getting Europe again. if not, top half finish.

no reason you don't if you keep your form up as youve started, there are a lot of good sides competing for it at the moment though.

Krul, Simpson, Williamson, Colo, Santon, Anita, Cabaye, HBA, Jonas, Ba and Cisse

I think we can win this one, Im hoping to see a clean sheet as well 2-0

Sluggish, key injuries and not playing the optimum formation to suit certain players however signs are we could be getting back to normal.

Haven't seen you much so hard to say, I certainly wont patronise you, you have the points on merit.

Most have echoed my feelings, Is Ashley's man, wont rock the boat and is also a part time PR man for the regime which can annoy some of us. Done a good job though and this contract is all about maximising any fee from a predator, nothing else.

He should be strung up by his balls on Barrack Road for the Sportsdirect Arena shit alone, never mind the rest of the stuff including decimating our away support which is a fucking disgrace as well. I feel he's cheapened NUFC, de-valued the 'brand' and revenues show this. Mr Tacky.

Best of a bad bunch from the West Midlands. You're a decent club, supporters seem canny enough lads though you need to assasinate cabbage-heed Chiles next time he turns up at the Hawthorns as his patter would make an onion cry. First game I remember you lot was a 4-1 win at SJP where Jeff Clarke scored a half volley lob from outside the box, also remember you beating us 1-0 in the LC up here.

I'd be wary of you as a TEAM rather than players as you are obviously playing for each other and it plays a big part.

7-8 and getting knocked out the cups as we 'rest' players and continue the NUFC tradition of not winning a cup in my lifetime.

If you keep winning you've a chance!

Depends on injuries/suspensions.

Normally a draw with you lot lately (at home) but we need a win and I think we'll get it, just.

He should be strung up by his balls on Barrack Road for the Sportsdirect Arena shit alone, never mind the rest of the stuff including decimating our away support which is a fucking disgrace as well. I feel he's cheapened NUFC, de-valued the 'brand' and revenues show this. Mr Tacky.

This is a simple post, but the sentence I've highlighted IS THE BEST SENTENCE this board has seen this year. Wanks like Toonpack refuse to grasp it too. We're massively cheapened. A club who were making £93m a year in 2002, should be making £200m now, but we're not we're making fucking less! It's unreal. "Yes but we're making a profit." Fuck off. Wanks.

Edited by McFaul

Hi,

First of all I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules and I hope I've placed this topic in the correct place.

I am a moderator on www.westbrom.com and we run a weekly View from the opposition where I ask questions to the opposing fans and they respond with their answers. I then take the answers and create a finished article which shall be posted in this topic later on this week. For an example of what we do click the link: http://westbrom.com/...hp?topic=9533.0

If it was a school report it would say "must try harder". I think injuries hit us early and just about every fan was screaming out for investment when it didnt come. We have a paper thin squad and it has showed. Early days though.

Off to a bit of a flyer though dont see it lasting

We cant have it all ways. Fans went mental (rightly) at us changing manager every 5 mins so this is the flip side. 8 years is a fucking long time though but it will give stability.

He's a cunt.

Bare in mind he is the owner. Forget about the football etc. The club, the name, the history means fuck all to him. He is ruthless and will do whatever he wants to get things how he wants. Fans dont like it but then you dont get success being loved. But you shouldnt mix our feelings for him with the feelings for the club overall. Its become tacky as some have said. My own stance is Im ignoring the stuff he does and concentrating on the team and supporting them. you cant knock what we achieved last season and Pardew is doing well.

*shrug* Always thought of you as a side that played "football" and used to be canny to watch. Away fans used to be canny as well. Both seem to have been dampened of late.

Probably HBA for going forward and attacking you, Tiote for your hospital bill. I cant think of any one stand out player for you so have to assume you're playing well as a unit which is a better thing.

Embarrassment from the owner and hopefully a decent run in europe with a 7-8th finish.

Mid table

Krul - Simpson - S Taylor - Colo - Santon - Jonas - Anita - Cabaye - Ba - Cisse

2-1 to NUFC

Thank you for taking part and here's to an entertaining game.

Good to see Fatty getting the slating he deserves in nearly every response here. The FAT CUNT. I don't want him to die or anything like that, but I would love some circumstance dictating that he has to sell the club. I don't care if he gives £1bn to charity, I don't care if we win the league, I'll never ever ever accept that disgrace of a man. There's things money can't buy, respect is one and he'll never have mine.

This is a simple post, but the sentence I've highlighted IS THE BEST SENTENCE this board has seen this year. Wanks like Toonpack refuse to grasp it too. We're massively cheapened. A club who were making £93m a year in 2002, should be making £200m now, but we're not we're making fucking less! It's unreal. "Yes but we're making a profit." Fuck off. Wanks.

:D - Pish

Spend £120Mill to make £93 Mill would equate to something like spend £300Mill to make your £200Mill, yeah dead easy.

We are cheapened because WE HAD TO cut our cloth

P.S. We'll have our biggest turnover EVER under Ashley, who is a complete and utter bassa, but folks don't make his sort of cash "nicely". Best owner we've ever had, seriously.

Your misinterpretation of how Ashley has cheapened us speaks volumes.

Nope, it's just I'm not a hate everything he's done merchant just because he's Ashley and his brand is Sports Direct and on this forum to a greater degree that is the top and bottom of it.

We are a football club, we were skint, we had to go through the bargain basement phase (unless Ashley was prepared to continue to pump in £20 mill a year, which he wasn't), we will make our highest ever revenues under Ashley.

We have just agreed a new more lucrative sponsorship deal, we're on the up.

I work down south, the only people I hear whinging about "cheap" is on here, to everyone else we are Newcastle United the big club up north.

Go on, I'll have a stab seeing as I quite enjoy reading The Fish's questions going the other way..

It's a bit after the Lord Mayors show which is kind of what I feared it might be. We haven't been as coherent and clinical as last year and look a bit lackadaisical. Disappointed we haven't looked at building on last season. Still early doors though.

Quietly going about your business with a group of players relaxed and playing for each other. Always had a soft spot for the Baggies, must be the strip.

Bit of a weird one (the length of it really) but no complaints that he deserves to be rewarded for last season. I was one of those who went 'what the fuck?' when we employed him but fair play to him. I once went to a Rob Lee talk in before Pardew was ever employed here where he stated he was the most arrogant man he'd ever met in football, so I probably have pre-perceived views on him. He seems passionate to the cause though, you only have to see his reaction to in last years derby at home when he goes after O'Neil...

I've moved from hating him to seeing him as an evil genius. The club will do someone sensible (moving Milburn statue back to the ground) followed by something stupid. I think the ground naming has to be the stupidest of them all. I have no problem with the club keeping tight though for survival, I was no fan of the Shepherd's and the crazy spending which may have dropped us in the financial shit. I still don't trust him as far as I could throw him, and he's a big fella.

If I lived in the midlands then WBA would def be the club I would go and watch where possible. Seem to have more character than evil Birmingham (boring club despite Clarky) and Aston Villa who I despise for many reasons. If I'm being honest I would still see you as a yo-yo club at present, although you're doing your best to dispel that myth!

Of your players I really like Morrison. Of our lot if Ben Arfa is on song then he's unplayable. Really impressed with Santon now as well, become a massive asset to us, looks a player.

Hopefully that we gel as a side as last season instead of the fits and starts we've seen so far. If we can battle through these Europa League qualifiers perhaps we'll then step up a gear in them and maybe a cheeky push towards Amsterdam?

I don't see why not. I think the top 3 are probably already decided (both Manchester clubs and Chelsea) and other than that it's fairly open. We proved last year that a team that gels well together, get's a bit of luck, with players constantly good without being superstars or world beaters that you can push on.

Our strongest minus Tiote, who will be a big miss. He's our engine and grafter. Be interesting to see who he puts in there instead. Perchino has been stepping in and doing well in there but he bought Anita from Ajax to play ion the centre of midfield but doesn't look convinced by him there and has been switching him to full back. Hopefully Colo will be back, as the man is a rock.

10. And finally, score predictions?

3-2 to us or a score draw.

We were in the Champions League that year, but spent massively to get there.

Imagine this situation. You buy 30 high end sports cars using money borrowed from the bank. You then sell them for 70% of what they cost you. You look flash as owt, and look like you're a real player, but in actual fact you've just lost a fortune and still owe the bank the money.

NUFC no longer works like this, thankfully.