Newcastle v West Ham

topcat

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does your team have an unfair reputation for long ball football this season? The Mail even put your total long ball tally between that of Barca & Real Madrid's last month (when NUFC and a few other teams had attempted more long balls). Has Fat Sam finally moved his ProZone long ball slider from 'often' to 'mixed' or is the football still the same old same old?

Newcastle is named as such because there is a castle in the city. Where is the corresponding ham from which West Ham gets its name?

Sorry, gad to google.

A settlement in the area named Ham is first recorded as Hamme in an Anglo-Saxon charter of 958 and then in the 1086 Domesday Book as Hame. The earliest recorded use of West Ham, as distinct from East Ham, is in 1186 as Westhamma. It is formed from Old English 'hamm' and means 'a dry area of land between rivers or marshland', referring the location of the settlement within boundaries formed by the rivers Lea, Thames and Roding and their marshes.[2]

They are a bit more adventurous then Sam's teams usually are. Nowhere near as dour to watch as Stoke or Sunderland at the moment.

Dunno about that like. I've watched three of four of their games this season, and their tactics consisted of passing the ball back to James Collins, who would then lump it up to Carroll for a flick on.

They're quick at closing people down in midfield mind, I'll give them that.

Hi, I am the owner of the West Ham blog called We love you West Ham. I was on here last season, asking members on here what we can expect from Kevin Nolan. I really enjoyed myself here,, which is why I decided to stay for a bit and make a few more posts.

The reason I am back is to ask if one of you would be up for a Q and A session with me to hold on our site before our match. Thanks a lot :)

Edited by RexHammer

Like the Thistle guys,I hate the OF and have stopped watching my Scots team,The Accies due to the board's grovelling over The Rangers Yes vote

after a trip to SJP you the the missus should get your arses back and support the accies at NDP - don't let the pandering to the blue filth stop you from supporting the lads - being 2nd bottom they'll need a bit of encouragement through the winter (unless you've got a taste for shopping that is) - enjoy the game at the weekend - we're up the other end in the Sir John Hall near enough to smell the london sheep shaggers and hopefully shove their fkin bubbles right back up their arses!

Hi, I am the owner of the West Ham blog called We love you West Ham. I was on here last season, asking members on here what we can expect from Kevin Nolan. I really enjoyed myself here,, which is why I decided to stay for a bit and make a few more posts.

The reason I am back is to ask if one of you would be up for a Q and A session with me to hold on our site before our match. Thanks a lot :)

You got a message-board suggestion for the next "Gone Fishing" article?

I think people are getting a bit emotional about Nolan's comments to be honest. Let's face it he'd probably be robbing old grannies or have a criminal record longer than the Great Wall of China if he wasn't a footballer given where he's from, but he was a good lad and a good player for us. He was slow as fuck, but one of the wisest players and best finishers we've ever had. He was a good captain, he got the hattrick against the mackems he should be remembered in a positive light.

The actual comments, well he's right. Playing for Newcastle and playing for West Ham are two completely different things. One is in a medium sized city, where every move they make in scrutinised, where the media focus locally and nationally because of the size of the club must take some getting used to and acclimatising to, whereas the other are in the biggest city in Europe, playing for a medium sized club few recognise or have any knowledge of. There's absolutely no comparison between West Ham and Newcastle, one are a community club, and the other basically represent a huge geographical region of the country. Newcastle United are the largest institution between Manchester and Scotland. West Ham are like the scouts in comparison. He might find it a lot harder to "just disappear" playing for Chelsea or Arsenal, but he's at West Ham, where the expectation levels are lower, he's back in a style of football he suits, with a manager he likes, on a bigger salary, so everyone is a winner really. The only deluded comment he made was he thinks he'd walk in our current team. I think Cabaye has the edge on him personally.

Got time for Nolan for his time here, bar his cowardly displays when we went down. But he only left because they were stupid enough to pay him that ridiculous contract he's on. He's probably a bit bitter because in his heart, just like AC, he'd much rather be playing for us.

And he fucking loved the attention up here because he's a massive fanny rat.

Edited by Alex

Think this is a canny enough side in midfield and up front. Defensively they're amongst the worst in the league on paper, but that Diame has impressed me, and we know all about the others. Also Big Sam has a good record against us, I'd take a 2-1 win right now.

---------------------Jussi-----------------

O'Brien----Reid----Tonks-----McCartney

------------Noble----Diarme---------

Benayoun--------Nolan---------Jarvis

-------------------Carroll--------------

Is this McFaul fella for real or what? There's more Toon fans in the central belt of Scotland than Old Firm fans combined? Newcastle are the massivley well known team of the North of England, while West Ham are just a community club that nobody's ever heard of. What backs up these claims, apart from a massive massive bias? I've lived in Newcastle, London and Scotland, and I think he's full of shit frankly. I'll be going to sample the atmos, but I fear this will be the game where one or more returning players score against us. Probably Nolan doing the chicken in the 85th, mark my words.