Check 'em, lads.

Mac-Toon

I expect a few of you already know through twitter and perhaps it's been mentioned on here over the past few months, but I was diagnosed with testicular cancer back in august and have been undergoing chemotherapy treatment since early october.

I've written all my journey in a blog at http://obiwancajone.tumblr.com and would love it if you could read it for your awareness.

Fortunately, I caught it early and have seen my tumour markers normalise over the course of the chemotherapy treatment.

Cheers

Edited by Mac-Toon

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read all your blog entries there. Really good stuff, and nice to see you've kept a sense of humour throughout. Most important thing is you seem to be on the mend, which is great news,

I've been for numerous scans in the past 3 years cos of a bit of a lump at the bottom of one of mine, but every time I've been they say there's nowt sinister showing up and that its probably just a cyst. It's painful as well, which I gather isn't the norm if its the bad shit (which I guess is why you miss it altogether if you aren't checking), so I'll go along with their assessment. Doesn't stop us sitting wondering/worrying about it from time to time though. :blush:

Anyway aye, let your story be a lesson to everyone on here to check their plums.

Just read all your blog entries there. Really good stuff, and nice to see you've kept a sense of humour throughout. Most important thing is you seem to be on the mend, which is great news,

I've been for numerous scans in the past 3 years cos of a bit of a lump at the bottom of one of mine, but every time I've been they say there's nowt sinister showing up and that its probably just a cyst. It's painful as well, which I gather isn't the norm if its the bad shit (which I guess is why you miss it altogether if you aren't checking), so I'll go along with their assessment. Doesn't stop us sitting wondering/worrying about it from time to time though. :blush:

Anyway aye, let your story be a lesson to everyone on here to check their plums.

Thanks a lot, mate. Worrying as hell, but so important to keep an eye on your gear and get checked if unsure.

My friend's got similar to what you described and has to have the cyst's drained every so often.

Me mothers going through bowel and stomach cancer at the moment and know how fantastic they all are there at the freeman Mac .

Been through the SBR bit a fair few times now and every time I swear I cry at how awsome it all is . Seeing his montage on the wall sets me away .

All the best with it man - they're nothing if not magicians in there and it's fucking doable .

Do it . ;)

Tell y what Mac - She's 70 and hard as nails with what's gone on and she's now on top of the c*nt thanks to the things they're doing at the Freeman .

You just keep your focus mate and you can be through the storm with them steering the ship ney sweat .

The great man is on all our shoulders with this shit . Take whatever strength you want from that but Im telling ya , its fucking true and you've got great support in your friends and family which just runs alongside nicely with the magic of the consultants and staff there .

You've won already .

That's a brilliant blog, going to make sure it gets passed around and (most importantly) acted on. Good to hear things are going the right way now and good on you for being so open about it, that's exactly what the subject needs :good:

Aye, can only echo the sentiments of others. Good luck to you mate and the same to LTB's mam. I hope everything turns out ok for the pair of you and I'll have a look at your blog, Mac.

I have a feel of mine quite a lot mainly for pleasure / because I'm bored but tbh have no idea exactly what to look for other than a lump.

Is there a certain bit that you need to check more than others... i.e. is it usually on the main bit of the nut rather than where the tubes join etc, or could you get it anywhere on the little fellas?

Aye I had something similar a couple of years ago which turned out to be a cyst. Was still quite nervous though waiting to find out what it was. So I can't even begin to imagine what Mac-Toon is going through.

I have a feel of mine quite a lot mainly for pleasure / because I'm bored but tbh have no idea exactly what to look for other than a lump.

Is there a certain bit that you need to check more than others... i.e. is it usually on the main bit of the nut rather than where the tubes join etc, or could you get it anywhere on the little fellas?

Mine was a lump, about the size of a petit-pois on the bottom of my right testicle (RIP, little fella). Nothing specific to look out for apart from getting checked if anything changes or feels strange. You will have tubes attaching at the top of your nut, that's normal.

I know Lance Armstrong left his until it had swelled to the size of a satsuma, the stupid cunt. By the time they investigated it had spread to his lungs & brain. Same for John Hartson.

About 2000 men in the UK will be diagnosed with TC each year, & if caught early it has a 99% survival rate if it hasn't spread. Fortunately I wasn't a dickhead & got checked as soon as I noticed the lump & it's saved my life.

I start my final cycle of chemo tomorrow, so only another 2 weeks left & I'm sorted. (Touch wood - something I've not done for 9 weeks now)

If you're in any doubt or worried; go to your doctor. They appreciate people being pro-active & getting checked earlier rather than leaving it until it's "too-late".

Edited by Mac-Toon

The blog is fantastic, it's written with humour, honesty, it grips you and is written in the style of what Gemmill would describe as a professional geordie.

I met Mac before he got his cancer, and you could never imagine someone so young and full of life could get it, but it happens every day, will happen to 1 in 3 of us, and I'm honestly couldn't be happier that it's almost defeated. Chemotherapy is nee picnic, and it takes immense bravery, and soul searching to sit in a hospital for weeks on end being treated, it really must be like purgatory. I know this because I visited me dad every day for 3 months at the start of the year, he beat his bowel cancer, but it's now lung cancer, they won't treat it but till now it's extremely slow growing so he may be alive 6 months or maybe even 10 years.

How people deal with cancer is different, but Mac has dealt with it better than I would have, he's remained positive the whole way through, and positivity beats it. I'd be moaning the whole time that I wouldn't see the toon win a trophy and end up deed. Magnificent the way you've dealt with it Mac, and you've gained massive respect off even people that don't really know you on twitter, for how you've handled it.

Great blog, I do a lot of fundraising for Macmillan and it's important that those who are fighting and surviving are telling their story.

I had a scare earlier in the year when I found a lump so was sent for the old scan. I think you have to forget the embarrassment factor. I remember being in the waiting room and my name being called out by a very young and pretty blonde lass and thinking 'fucking typical.' They were massively professional at the scan though, this young lass and an older lady did it and they were very conscious of how sensitive an issue it could be. I wasn't arsed though, the importance of what they were potential looking for was the priority, they've probably seen a million ball sacks.

Anyway, like Gemmill, just a cyst thankfully! The point is though, there was no harm done.

If you're in any doubt or worried; go to your doctor. They appreciate people being pro-active & getting checked earlier rather than leaving it until it's "too-late".

Exactly. So many people have this phobia about not wanting to "bother" the doctor, and men in particular can be such idiots about their own bodies too. If something's wrong or different or just doesn't feel right, get it checked out. Simple.

I had those thoughts when I first found out & was convinced it would've spread all over my body, but once I found out it was confined to my bollock I was confident I could smash it. Everyone says I've handled it well, but you just get on with whatever you're dealt with. I'm lucky really, people have it far, far worse than me.

I thought the chemo would be horrendous, but it's more like having a constant hangover which is manageable. I guess it's been made easier for me with all the support I've had around me & getting the "Good luck, mate" letter from Pardew last week was a massive lift.

Two more weeks to go & I can get my career back on track & have a pint. Haven't had a sip since august & it might sound stupid, but I can't wait to sink one.