Newcastle United v Wigan Athletic

Christmas Tree

and what about The Turner Prize?

as you're no doubt a bit of a Grayson Perry aficionado / lookalike, how do you feel about Elizabeth Price winning it?

Not asked of me but... I seen Elizabeth Price's entry & a couple of her other videos at the Baltic in March & i think she thoroughly deserves it. " The choir" was pretty terrifying at times.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and what about The Turner Prize?

as you're no doubt a bit of a Grayson Perry aficionado / lookalike, how do you feel about Elizabeth Price winning it?

Not asked of me but... I seen Elizabeth Price's entry & a couple of her other videos at the Baltic in March & i think she thoroughly deserves it. " The choir" was pretty terrifying at times.

Grayson Perry :lol:

I expect Gene had these on his bedroom wall, Tom probably wasn't born in 86...still, Liz has come a long way...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/shortcuts/2012/dec/04/elizabeth-price-talulah-gosh-turner

Yeah he was on something on BBC2 I watched a while ago.....seems to be a bit Eddie Izzard ish....a mainly straight forward arty type who's just compelled to dress up as a woman...

Turner prize is taken seriously by those who win it by the looks of it. To everyone else its a joke. No one normal can understand how Tracy Emins manky bed can win a prize. As long as these arty types take it seriously and have lackies in the media to give it coverage then it'll remain a piss take too.

I remember that Grayson Perry from an article in the Sunday Times. He looks like a rugby player on one of their hilarious nights out rather than a proper drag queen. Not sure which looks worse like. I can't get me head round most contemporary art like (as opposed to modern art). I've been to the Baltic a few times and seen the odd thing I thought was canny but on the whole I've felt like I'm missing out on a joke. I'm more into photography like.

Turner prize is taken seriously by those who win it by the looks of it. To everyone else its a joke. No one normal can understand how Tracy Emins manky bed can win a prize. As long as these arty types take it seriously and have lackies in the media to give it coverage then it'll remain a piss take too.

Hosted by Lauren Laverne. Clearly someone on the inside is in on the joke.

Tbf, Lauren Laverne is indisputably the best thing to come out of Wearside...pretty much ever. Kenickie were fab too. But she's got gigs that are far in advance of her abilities. Don't care. I don't think about her with my brain ;)

Grayson Perry :lol:

I expect Gene had these on his bedroom wall, Tom probably wasn't born in 86...still, Liz has come a long way...

http://www.guardian....lah-gosh-turner

Well i never.....

i was very much in to C86 music, as you'd imagine; it was the sound of my final year at University to be honest.....

i didn't actually own anything by Talullah Gosh, preferring The Shop Assistants for my girly indie group & i still think this sounds tremendous

Well i never.....

i was very much in to C86 music, as you'd imagine; it was the sound of my final year at University to be honest.....

i didn't actually own anything by Talullah Gosh, preferring The Shop Assistants for my girly indie group & i still think this sounds tremendous

Thats classic jingly jangly indie...quite good too..heard of them but not any of their stuff :good:

Marychain,Cult,Bunnymen...think 86 was my goth phase :lol:

I was a cool as you fuckin like tragic second year apprentice....I think it was hip-hop the following year.....

Edited by PaddockLad

I moved to London when I finished Uni in July 86 from County Derry, via about 3 days back home in Felling, which was a bit of a culture shock. I arrived with the idea of making it big as a music journo who also played in a band, but ended up working in a second hand record shop in Notting Hill (Record & Tape Exchange). Meant I was exposed to a zillion types of music; gigs I went to were uniformly indie / twee stuff, but bought lots of early hip hop then; still got the 12" singles. Moved to Leeds in 87 to go back to university; Goth Central, but I loved Age of Chance & The Mekons from that area rather that Sisters of Mercy shite.

Still love the melodic indie stuff now; Teenage Fanclub my favourite band

I remember that Grayson Perry from an article in the Sunday Times. He looks like a rugby player on one of their hilarious nights out rather than a proper drag queen. Not sure which looks worse like. I can't get me head round most contemporary art like (as opposed to modern art). I've been to the Baltic a few times and seen the odd thing I thought was canny but on the whole I've felt like I'm missing out on a joke. I'm more into photography like.

There's a lot of shite but from what I gather Art circles are quite tightly knit i.e the same person lecturing at the University will have an installment somewhere local, friends will recommend the work of friends & there's a lot of money kicking about. In any art gallery I've been in the bad out weighs the good & a lot of the time - though the theory & hyperbole would suggest otherwise - it's simply a piss take & there's nothing to get.

Otherwise you get some great stuff which isn't trying to be clever but just looks nice. Like the work of a Sculptor in the Hamburger Baunhaf (sp?) His work was class but there was little meaning behind it.

The Laing's normally decent tbf. The Baltic was a wasted opportunity imo. It wanted to be anti-popularist, eschewing mainstream modern art and the sort of exhibitions you get at the Tate Modern to be purely 'contemporary'. It's public money, you cheeky fucking cunts.

The Laing's normally decent tbf. The Baltic was a wasted opportunity imo. It wanted to be anti-popularist, eschewing mainstream modern art and the sort of exhibitions you get at the Tate Modern to be purely 'contemporary'. It's public money, you cheeky fucking cunts.

Just like hanging around the Tate Modern. The place has a wierd otherworldy vibe.

I moved to London when I finished Uni in July 86 from County Derry, via about 3 days back home in Felling, which was a bit of a culture shock. I arrived with the idea of making it big as a music journo who also played in a band, but ended up working in a second hand record shop in Notting Hill (Record & Tape Exchange). Meant I was exposed to a zillion types of music; gigs I went to were uniformly indie / twee stuff, but bought lots of early hip hop then; still got the 12" singles. Moved to Leeds in 87 to go back to university; Goth Central, but I loved Age of Chance & The Mekons from that area rather that Sisters of Mercy shite.

Still love the melodic indie stuff now; Teenage Fanclub my favourite band

Think you would have made a good music journalist if your idea of your own self importance is anything to go by. ;)