Newcastle United v Wigan Athletic

Christmas Tree

whats the excuse this week for the fans not turning up?

i know quite a few had tickets for the Turner Prize award ceremony this evening.

personally, i was at Team Northumbria 3 Bishop Auckland 1 in Northern League Division 1; good game

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Positives - Anita, Bigi and Jonas all played well.

Negatives - Cisse still looks like his confidence is shot. Got himself into some decent positions but blazed most of his chances. Still lacking the clinical composure we saw last season. Definitely a confidence player. He'll need to step it up if Ba is out for a while.

Overall a good game all things considered. Still too much fannying on in the middle and the movement is still pretty shit but plenty of green shoots there tonight. Felt sorry for Cisse who was continually looking to make runs only for the ball not to come. He ran himself ragged closing players down in the first half.

Santon continuing his good progress and unlucky not to get a goal tonight (had him at 12-1).

Star man for me was Marveaux who looked a cool calm presence in the middle, distributed the ball well and made some very dangerous jinky runs at goal that should have been rewarded with a goal. Certainly seems great in that role to me and should get better the more he plays it and develops and a better understanding with those around him.

Referee was the worst one Ive seen there for a while.

Anita was comfortably our best player for me, ahead of Ba and Marveaux (who did tire towards the end). I thought again Jonas offered too little going forward but as always puts in a good shift.

Having not seen a replay I thought the sending off looked a bit harsh but Caldwell should have certainly seen red.

Overall a very good result given what we've been through recently and hopefully it will raise confidence and not be at the cost of three more injuries to key players!

Give it up man :lol: Even Pardew had to send the big hook for him. He offers absolutely nothing going forward, not even his 30 yard runs and fouls. And as for defence he simply hunches over and skips from side to side.

Give it a rest. Be nice to enjoy a post-match thread without you and the usual suspects moaning incessantly about the same old things.

Give it up man :lol: Even Pardew had to send the big hook for him. He offers absolutely nothing going forward, not even his 30 yard runs and fouls. And as for defence he simply hunches over and skips from side to side.

That last bit is called jockeying. :lol:

A9OSlD7CEAAbtl2.png

:o

Good team performance. Thought Simpson was really good today. Marveaux has the ability to make some lovely jinking runs, but rarely makes the right decision and has no power in his shot. Tiote looked closer to last season. Bigi looked good when he came on. Ferguson still looks lightweight and was simply brushed off the ball on a couple of occasions. Williamson is turboshit. Cisse need patience, if he had a little more composure the space would have opened up a little and he could have had the ball on his favoured right, in the box, a couple of times.

Oh, and CT, Jonas was pulled off because he's 1 yellow away from suspension, you tool. He had an all right game, busy and available all game, he's not a MoTD player so a highlight reel of his game would be him covering every blade, dragging defenders out of position and simple play-building passes... not exactly highlight reel material, but certainly valuable.

Some of the movement was great tbh, we played some good passing football.

The passing play that led to the penalty was a thing of beauty. The other day LBT challenged anyone to come up with a goal we had scored that came from a good passing approach. He ignored the 4 or 5 I listed, but that was the best example yet.

It was incredible how annoyed the crowd were getting with the players for passing it about though. Makes it really hard for them to work up chances by passing it around. Seems some people aren't happy unless the ball is played forward towards the opponents box within 10 seconds of winning possession. My cousin commented to me the arseholes should count themselves lucky they don't follow Barcelona :lol: he was spot on like, all that passing about and holding on to the ball and tiring the opposition and waiting for a good opening rather than trying to force one and losing the ball.

What a massive relief that. Should have been a more controlled performance given we were at home, against a crap team, and against 10 men. But 3-0 will do fine thank you considering our form. Didnt start out too well, we needed that bit of fortune because in the beginning we were letting them have space in front of our defensive and it was all a bit nervy. Also shocking how much time we sometimes give the opposing team to set themselves and have a nice shot on goal. Anyway the passing and movement was loads better. Some encouragement at long last.

Marveaux and Anita had their best games for us I think, easily. Jonas, Tiote and Cisse did better than recently but there's still loads to improve there though.

Oh and what a class goal from Bigi! :nufc:

The passing play that led to the penalty was a thing of beauty. The other day LBT challenged anyone to come up with a goal we had scored that came from a good passing approach. He ignored the 4 or 5 I listed, but that was the best example yet.

It was incredible how annoyed the crowd were getting with the players for passing it about though. Makes it really hard for them to work up chances by passing it around. Seems some people aren't happy unless the ball is played forward towards the opponents box within 10 seconds of winning possession. My cousin commented to me the arseholes should count themselves lucky they don't follow Barcelona :lol: he was spot on like, all that passing about and holding on to the ball and tiring the opposition and waiting for a good opening rather than trying to force one and losing the ball.

Can see both sides of this. I would hate to watch a team like Barcelona week in week out. All that passing about yuk. Much prefer the Keegan tally ho approach.