Loic Remy signs for QPR

Tooj

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But unfair of that article to single him out because he has a heart problem. Most French players have one.

Yeah I can't believe that never came up in Obertan's medical. It's clear to anyone who's seen him play that he has a massive problem there!

Remy has obviously been scouted for months by the club in case of the eventuality of Ba leaving. Yet here we are a week later and 3 days shy of our next game and we are yet to make a bid. We should have been on the phone before the ink had dried on Ba's contract!

From BBC:

TRANSFER LATEST Marseille coach Elie Baup has suggested that striker Loic Remy might resist Newcastle's overtures to stay at the Ligue 1 club.Magpies boss Alan Pardew has identified Remy as his preferred replacement for Demba Ba, who left Tyneside to join Chelsea earlier this month. But Baup believes that Remy, who has been linked with moves to Tottenham and QPR in the past, is not lost to his side just yet.""For a year, every transfer window, we have been talking about his departure," Baup told La Provence."But he is still there. Maybe he still will be in the summer."

That's a bit of a nothing quote really. He's hardly issuing a massive denial that he's leaving.

I agree that it seems ridiculous that we haven't been able to put a bid together for anyone yet. We've known for months that there was a fair chance Ba would be on his way so surely we should have been ready to jump straight into action once Ba's departure was confirmed.

We should have also been preparing a bid for another striker if Ba was staying anyway because Ba & Cisse with Shola and Ranger as backup was never enough!

I really don't want us to spend £10m on Remy tbh

i'd rather have a player like Bojan on loan at AC, Zarate, someone with a bit of pace and guile compared Cisse, basically a finisher who plays on the shoulder.

That's what Remy is?

That's a bit of a nothing quote really. He's hardly issuing a massive denial that he's leaving.

I agree that it seems ridiculous that we haven't been able to put a bid together for anyone yet. We've known for months that there was a fair chance Ba would be on his way so surely we should have been ready to jump straight into action once Ba's departure was confirmed.

We should have also been preparing a bid for another striker if Ba was staying anyway because Ba & Cisse with Shola and Ranger as backup was never enough!

You cant make a firm offer to a player until, in our case, a firm offer for Ba had come in. The player cant truly reflect upon uprooting his life from the south of france to Newcastle until a firm offer has been received. If we sent a firm offer to the club the day the offer for Ba was accepted, then you need to give 2 to 3 days for that to be resolved (in super quick fashion, real money on the table presents a calmer, slower decision in all contexts) before the player can receive his fixed offer. In this case, he has 'reflected long and hard about it' according to La Provence, notably resolving itself in the coming days. There is no other way of doing things unfortunately unless you expect us to make firm contractual offers for players we might not need. Yes, we all knew Ba was leaving but until it becomes official your offer to the selling club cant be 100% official. Only then will the player start to make the decision.

To be honest if it was resolved by the weekend in our favour that would suggest weeks if not months of work went into it ahead of time.

Edited by ChezGiven

It seems like 433 with ?/Cisse/Ben Arfa Is the preferred formation. Remy seems to fit the outside left role we need. Like Henry earlier in his career

He can play right, left and centre. His best position is on the right.

You cant make a firm offer to a player until, in our case, a firm offer for Ba had come in. The player cant truly reflect upon uprooting his life from the south of france to Newcastle until a firm offer has been received. If we sent a firm offer to the club the day the offer for Ba was accepted, then you need to give 2 to 3 days for that to be resolved (in super quick fashion, real money on the table presents a calmer, slower decision in all contexts) before the player can receive his fixed offer. In this case, he has 'reflected long and hard about it' according to La Provence, notably resolving itself in the coming days. There is no other way of doing things unfortunately unless you expect us to make firm contractual offers for players we might not need. Yes, we all knew Ba was leaving but until it becomes official your offer to the selling club cant be 100% official. Only then will the player start to make the decision.

To be honest if it was resolved by the weekend in our favour that would suggest weeks if not months of work went into it ahead of time.

I completely understand that we were never going to make this level of purchase until Ba leaving was confirmed but that happened on Friday (at the latest) and I would say that the bid should have gone in then. I accept that then Remy would have to make the decision (although the way these things usually work seems to be that a player is sounded out as to whether he would be interested before a bid is made so I would assume we already know if he's remotely interested) but from what we are being told in the press, we are still readying the bid. I just can't understand what there is to ready. Surely we should have had all of our ducks in a row so that the bid could be made immediately and as long as the player or his club didn't stretch it out (neither of which seems to be the case at this stage) we should have at least been speaking to him by now.

I've never seen remy play so I have absolutely no idea what he's like.

The thing I do know is that we need a forward who can hit the ground running. We don't have the luxury of of signing a player who needs a year to adapt to the premier league and life in Newcastle or he'll be playing in the championship. Unless he has a release clause covering relegation, which may very well happen if pardew doesn't get the team to get it's act together.

aye that's more the type of player he is, like a crap Henry :D

we're either getting him cheaper than it's being quoted

or we're using the fact he's expensive for a "we tried but well ya know" scenario

no way the clubs going spend £10m on him, i wouldn't and obsv i think we need 1-2 strikers desperately

L'OM bought him for 16m didnt they?