Colo Gogo

Banshee

I think if it was something people would have sympathy for then he'd have made a statement to the fans (he wouldn't even have to say what the issue was if it was something like you suggest) IMO. The absence of such a statement (and the letter to SL fans) makes me extremely reluctant to give him the benefit of the doubt.

As SLP says he's taking the piss until there's strong evidence to the contrary, and if it were a viable option I wouldn't want him to play for the club again.

Agree with all of this and Ant's post. I cannot understand why it wouldn't have been stated if his wife was ill or he had depression or something similar, it just seems very shady that he wanted out and didn't want to just go home he could only go to San Lorenzo and he wasn't willing to do a Tevez or sign for any another club in Argentina. So basically he had serious enough personal problems that he couldn't continue here, couldn't just ask for extended leave, had to return to Argentina but they weren't important enough for him to buy out his contract or sign for any club besides San Lorenzo. Like others have said all of this means I cant give him the benefit of the doubt on this, the letter apologizing to the San Lorenzo fans is even odder and surely he'd have said something if it wasn't written by him.

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way footballers live, I think it's pretty reasonable to assume that he genuinely couldn't afford to buy himself out of his contract.

Nah, Coloccini lives a fairly modest lifestyle considering his salary. He isn't a flash bloke at all.

I still reckon there's more to the story than has been revealed, and I'm sure the truth will come out at some point.

Nah, Coloccini lives a fairly modest lifestyle considering his salary. He isn't a flash bloke at all.

I still reckon there's more to the story than has been revealed, and I'm sure the truth will come out at some point.

Aye maybe, even if he can't afford it the situation is still very odd.

I hope so and I hope it was genuine reasons but at the moment I find it hard to be sympathetic to the bloke as I don't really understand the point in keeping the general subject private. Obviously I understand people don't want their whole life exposed but like Luke said earlier just some sort of hint towards it would be enough if it's as bad as it's made out to be.

Edited by Howay

He'd still need £7m (the figure I've heard quoted) of cash on hand. Which I doubt he has.

And no offence, but how do you have a clue what his lifestyle is like? How much money he sends back home, what his financial commitments are etc.

Drives his kids to school in a bright red Bentley. As you do.

I know a couple of lads who work at the club, I know a lad whose girlfriend provides a regular service to him and I know a lad whose kid goes to the same school as his. All paint a very similar picture of the sort of bloke he is.

Both Coloccini and Jonas are down to earth people. They don't wear flash clothes or try to promote the flash lifestyle that many footballers do.

Drives his kids to school in a bright red Bentley. As you do.

Aye, he has a car which probably cost him two weeks wages.

He could afford to buy out his contract, but he'd need to liquidise some assets.

The point I'm obviously failing to make is that I don't believe he has blown all of his salary on prostitutes in Vegas or buying champagne for everyone at a bar. His money might be tied up in assets, but they're assets that still have considerable value.

He could afford to buy out his contract, but he'd need to liquidise some assets.

The point I'm obviously failing to make is that I don't believe he has blown all of his salary on prostitutes in Vegas or buying champagne for everyone at a bar. His money might be tied up in assets, but they're assets that still have considerable value.

3.5 years left on a £60k pw contract is just under £11 million. He took home less than ten milion during the four years of his previous contract. I very much doubt he'll want to be buying out his current deal.

3.5 years left on a £60k pw contract is just under £11 million. He took home less than ten milion during the four years of his previous contract. I very much doubt he'll want to be buying out his current deal.

In normal situations, it would cost far less than that to buy out the contract. I suppose NUFC might want full value given his value to the side and the potentially dubious reasons he has for wanting away.

I was more responding to the claim that he's down to earth, not that he should be able to pay seven mill on demand.

The way footballers live, I think it's pretty reasonable to assume that he genuinely couldn't afford to buy himself out of his contract.

Not like you to generalise all footballers now is it? :lol:

He'd still need £7m (the figure I've heard quoted) of cash on hand. Which I doubt he has.

And no offence, but how do you have a clue what his lifestyle is like? How much money he sends back home, what his financial commitments are etc.

He does give some of his salary to finance an orphanage back home which he can be commended for.

Obviously not on the levels of Drogbar or Eto'o but at least he's actually giving something back.

I was more responding to the claim that he's down to earth, not that he should be able to pay seven mill on demand.

As far as footballers go, that's pretty down to earth! Most people earning that sort of money will have a nice car, whether they're a footballer or a businessman. The difference is that outside of football, he doesn't spunk his money up the wall on drink and flashy clothes.

Moot point I suppose, given that it's probably unrealistic for him to buy out his own contract.

Aye, Jonas. But there are conditions to the Webster Ruling regarding how long you have to have served of your contract before you can buy it out. For a player of Colo's age I believe it's 2 years.

The letter to SL doesn't lend itself to any of the above though

no need for it whatsoever, he's either got football far from his mind or he doesn't it doesn't swing itself both ways like

Spot on Ant. I don't think fans are being objective with this because it's Colo. Like the lass you love but she shags around.

My instinct is to be pissed off with him, but I just have a feeling there's more to it than meets the eye.

Part of me wants to know the full story. Part of me thinks it's clearly a private matter and is probably best left that way.

It's an unusual situation though, that much is clear.

I'd forgive him pretty much everything apart from that letter

if the letter is authenticate then he's a dick no matter what his situation is, as there is no need for it whatsoever

Looks like the rambings of an emotionally unstable man to me. The sooner this lass in Killingworth is bought off the better.

"When you interpret one language from another, while the words can look the same, the interpretation can be slightly different and I think the interpretation of that was slightly lost, if I'm honest," Pardew said.

"It's his home-town club, of course, and he's got friends and family there, and I think he just wanted to say, 'Thanks for your offer of help if I needed it'.

"Unfortunately for them, it hasn't happened; fortunately for us, he remains our captain and committed to the cause, make no mistake about that."

he surely spouts some shite some time...

Make no mistake of that!

At least he has addressed it in some way. Trying to spin it in the most positive way for the club is only logical. Whether or not Colocini is committed to the cause will be seen in his performances.