Aston Villa vs Newcastle United

Aeris

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That penalty (which was never a penalty) knocked the stuffing out of us and filled their sails. That doesn't excuse our complete inability to get, use or hold onto the ball.

Subs were baffling, Jonas should have gone off for Haidara or a pacy wing player, If Perch was tiring bring on Anita not Shola, Baffling.

Haidara or a pacey wing player (aside from Sammy) weren't on the bench. I assume Shola came on to hold the ball up in their half.

The bench is still a bit shit even with the new arrivals obviously still missing Ben Arfa in a big way. Still think we need another quality striker.

So happy about the result. Forget the second half performance. Villa were always going to throw he kitchen sink at us and we were always going to get nervy. Horrible to watch though. Like defence v attack for most of it.

It's just a huge result. Puts a bit of breathing space between us and he bottom three and hopefully gives us a bit of confidence now we've won away, despite the second half performance.

The subs? No surprise either of the new 2 went off, or that the other new lad came on. So the complaints are Perch came off or Shola/Anita came on.

There was no-one else on the bench I particularly fancied coming on.

As I said, I would have preferred Perch off for Anita. Jonas should have gone off earlier on and been replaced by one of the new lads. Fair enough Gouffran and Sissoko were tiring badly, but I reckon the former could have stayed on til the end without impacting us too badly. Shola had a negative impact on our ball retention. So even another midfielder and sticking with Cisse up top would have been preferrable for me.

Cabaye was knackered after the first half and we fell apart as a result. However, he needs game time to get properly up to speed, so I'm relieved / glad that we managed to scrape through.

That said, if Villa played like they did in the second half from the first minute, they'd have had 2 or 3 players sent off by the time the full time whistle was blown.

The result is the main thing. Onwards and upwards.

Had to turn on a Spanish stream as couldnt stand listening to Brian Little. Fuck me that was painful but lots of players went missing second half as Villa massively upped their game.

Claiming that Villa are just shite doesnt really tell the story, they are more than capable of taking points at home and being behind and getting a goal back put a massive amount of momentum behind them. Its not unusual for a side coming back to 1-2 down at home to then dominate the rest of the match. In fact its quite normal, a lot of the distress from that second half is clearly based on watching and expecting the match to continue down the same path as the first half. Goals change games and their goal did that, its to our credit we held on. We are not suddenly amazing, we need the players coming in to settle down and get used to the pace of the league. I thought Anita's energy was used well in closing down their defence allowing Shola to drop deeper to defend the long ball. M'Biwa made one or two superb interventions in the box, Shola was Shola though so frustrated in any attacking sense.

Totally agree with Barney and HF's assessments. Some very OTT reactions to our first away win of the season.

Tayls first night back from injury, don't forget. He struggled with Benteke at times. Most players would have. He's so much more composed than Williamson(don't want to flog a dead horse too much).

I actually think Villa would have been all over anyone in that second half, it's like the penny dropped and they realised that they're actually going to go down. I think we did well to hold it, it was always going to be a containment job from then on. Hell of an entry to the new boys, if they didn't know what to expect from the PL, they do now...

ref let them kick their way back into it in the firsts 5 mins of 2nd half, Debuchy should have let the ball rolll out of the box before challenging (if indeed a challenge was needed, nowt wrong with jockeying him in the corner when hes facing wrong way) One telling point in 2nd half was Cabaye telling Debuchy to hump it long when he was free to receive (although Cabaye was fucked like)

I actually think Villa would have been all over anyone in that second half, it's like the penny dropped and they realised that they're actually going to go down. I think we did well to hold it, it was always going to be a containment job from then on. Hell of an entry to the new boys, if they didn't know what to expect from the PL, they do now...

Spot on.