Aston Villa vs Newcastle United

Aeris

Of course I only got home in time to watch the dire second half.

Penalty was a dive for me like, thanks Dean. If they didn't get that we could've killed off their early attacks in the second half and controlled the game as we apparently did in the first.

The Mbiwa sub was an utterly baffling one. Inexplicable is the right word. He looked completely lost in central midfield (as well he fucking should, as he's a centre-back!) and that was no way to give a class player his debut.

Disgraceful fouling from Villa especially the one on Jonas which went unpunished (actually it was punished - Jonas got a yellow) but you have to give them credit for realising the hole they're in and picking it up. I wonder if that would ever have happened to us before the new signings came in. Certainly we saw no sign of it happening against Reading.

Massively relieved to pick up the 3 points but there were definitely shaky moments tonight - too many for comfort.

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like how you don't give Villa any credit whatsoever. Nor do you realise the factors that came into play in the second half - their subs, their h-t teamtalk, their early goal leading to our nervousness. Not to mention the fact they were playing at home and were technically even more desperate to win than we were. If the roles were reversed and we were at SJP, I'm sure it'd be a similar situation.

It's not just a case of Newcastle either play good or bad.

Ok, so I was watching the game in a pub on a dodgy channel that froze up literally every 3 minutes until half time(missed both goals live).

However second half we seemed t come out with a "lets sit back and protect this lead attitude" which totally fucked us up and relied upon a few world class saves from Krul to keep us in the match.

I just feel this should have been a comfortable win, but Pards made it so hard.

Im also not seeing this fantastic debuchy that everyone else is seeing. Cost us a goal and looks very average so far.

We didn't even get a chance to sit back....they hit us with wave after wave of attack immediately after the break. 2 top class saves and a penalty conceded in the first few minutes. It was backs to the wall stuff.... And needed given the rockets villa had wedged up their arose.

We didn't sit that deep as a tactical choice and invite an average villa to attack. A spirited villa put the gas on and we were forced to defend for our points.

Disappointed we didn't ride a short storm and then put our foot on the ball a bit more, but no wonder we're edgy with our away record.

Excellent first half, a little aided by the fact they had a hollow midfield and what looked like 5 at the back and left Aggy out.

Second half they remedied all of that and went for it and on another night might have got something. Our poise and tempo in the first half was superb with nearly everybody doing good things - Collo was immense at the back and Gouffran looked lively and full of running upfront - giving us many options. Cabaye has come back like a man on a mission till his legs gave out around the 70min.

Sissoko for his first PL game, looked confident and assured and did everything that was asked of him inc setting up a great goal.

We really did panick at 1-2 but a lot of that I put down to nerves and a side that has forgotten how to win away at home. Pards should have swapped Guti for Anita and left it at that imo, but he perhaps had a better idea how tired the 2 French lads were.

Gouffran and Sissoko are already looking like stone cold bargains.

3 points. No injuries. Job done. Excellent debut for Sissoko, good one for Gouffran and they'll all know what this league is about now.

Would have snapped your hand off for all of that yesterday, today and tomorrow.

Excellent first half, a little aided by the fact they had a hollow midfield and what looked like 5 at the back and left Aggy out.

Second half they remedied all of that and went for it and on another night might have got something. Our poise and tempo in the first half was superb with nearly everybody doing good things - Collo was immense at the back and Gouffran looked lively and full of running upfront - giving us many options. Cabaye has come back like a man on a mission till his legs gave out around the 70min.

Sissoko for his first PL game, looked confident and assured and did everything that was asked of him inc setting up a great goal.

We really did panick at 1-2 but a lot of that I put down to nerves and a side that has forgotten how to win away at home. Pards should have swapped Guti for Anita and left it at that imo, but he perhaps had a better idea how tired the 2 French lads were.

Gouffran and Sissoko are already looking like stone cold bargains.

Spot on.

While u do blame Pardew for his halftime instructions against Reading I don't blame him tonight. Second half was all about Villa and they deserve credit for it. What I do blame Pardew for is panicking and bringing that fuckwit Shola on and resorting back to hoofball when we needed to keep a hold of it.

That said It was pleasing to see we were up for the fight and the spirit is there.

The first half on the other hand was superb. We completely bossed the midfield. Sissoko was really impressive and Gouffran looks a good addition to the squad (certainly a lot more usefull than Obertan).

Overall I'm just delighted to get the win and hopeful we can get something on Saturday too.

So happy to get 3 points - it was more important to get a win than having a dump after holding it in for a week.

However, let us be honest now - the second half was gash, we are all shocked at what we saw and consider ourselves very very lucky to walk away with three points (about time we had some luck mind). Remember this:

• these came into this game without a win in their last 4

• they just got beat off Millwall and Bradford

• their manager today got the dreaded vote of confidence

• it was us who made 4 new signings this week and hence received this new IMPETUS that Pardew said was required after the Reading game

• did we have a shot in the second half? I don't frickin recall any

• given our brilliant first half and their equally poor half, the fact we were two nil up, our confidence should have been sky high and they should have crumbled

So let's not delude ourselves guys. We simply could not cope with their pace and direct attacks. Our defence got exposed way to often.

I stress I'm over the moon with the win and could not wait for the second half to start and was feeling positive about the Chelsea game. In reality overall, our keeper was far busier and kept us hugely in the game.

And please do fuck off you absolute bore. Its a genuine opinion from a match going fan so fuck off with your Gemmil rip off shite.

Let's get something straight here. Football grounds all over the country are packed with stupid cunts with idiotic opinions about the game that they're watching. The fact that you turn up at the ground doesn't mean a thing, so knock the superfan act on the head.

If further evidence were needed about how clueless you are, people need look no further than your attempts to blame the second half entirely on Pardew's half time team talk. Reading your posts about football is like going to someone's house to watch an England world cup match, and having to listen to a lass who only watches football once every 4 years give her expert opinion on things.

So there. :lol:

Let's get something straight here. Football grounds all over the country are packed with stupid cunts with idiotic opinions about the game that they're watching. The fact that you turn up at the ground doesn't mean a thing, so knock the superfan act on the head.

If further evidence were needed about how clueless you are, people need look no further than your attempts to blame the second half entirely on Pardew's half time team talk. Reading your posts about football is like going to someone's house to watch an England world cup match, and having to listen to a lass who only watches football once every 4 years give her expert opinion on things.

So there. :lol:

Oooh get you Mr Grumpy Pants :lol:

How Villa performed against Millwall or Bradford is irrelevant, I'm sure everyone involved with their club is 100% focussed on staying up and could care less about the cups.

Also 'having a feeling' that we 'should' have done better in the second half isn't a reason why we should. As noted by certain match reports, the Villa that turned up in the second half was the one that beat Liverpool away and gave Man U a run for their money.

You cant just look at us re the second half, it was a different Villa side that came out, different formation (442 from flat 5 at the back) and an early pen gave them a huge lift. They gave 100% to fight for something as a team getting a lot of stick and we struggled to cope with that. We brought Shola on to give some height and strength I think and he done ok but we seemed to be tired second half. You have to give some credit to Villa for their performance and it wasnt all about us being poor. Im content. Such an important win for us for many factors.

Same here. Just been reading the match thread on NO and a lot on there and here seem to think that Pardew did something at half time which caused the second half performance. No offence to anyone but i really dont understand how anyone can look at a match like that and conclude it was Pardew's interventions at half time that led to Villa coming out and scoring within 3 minutes of the re-start.

Then there are the views that hold that the substitutions were to blame. Thats right, the substitutions that start in the 70th minute are to blame for the events in the 45th to 48th minutes. Its funny how people just see what they want to see. Pardew has many faults and there is fair criticism as we were poor in the second half but that was a huge away victory under the circumstances that both clubs were in.

Edited by ChezGiven

I don't really think we were poor at all in the second half. Yes we didn't keep the ball well at all but that was mainly down to what Villa were doing rather than us being poor.

For me the only poor thing was Pardew. His substitutions were again bewildering and his tactic of lumping long balls up to Shola who was isolated and is one of the least mobile players I've seen in a long time.

But this was in reaction to what Villa were doing, it wasn't the cause of them getting on top in the second half.

Edited by David Kelly