Aston Villa vs Newcastle United

Aeris

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still in the pub so haven't read the thread, but how come we are great until Pardew gets hold of them at half time

3 points though

:)

On the soft drinks I hope.

Still in the pub so haven't read the thread, but how come we are great until Pardew gets hold of them at half time

3 points though

:)

It was more a case of Villa changing tactics for the second half. If they'd played that formation in the first half, I reckon we'd have got beat. They allowed us too much space in the middle and we looked all over them until they changed it in the second half.

It was more a case of Villa changing tactics for the second half. If they'd played that formation in the first half, I reckon we'd have got beat. They allowed us too much space in the middle and we looked all over them until they changed it in the second half.

Villa couldn't have played like that for 90 minutes, they'd have run out of steam after a half like that.

Pardew Post-match:

Alan Pardew paid tribute to Newcastle United's board after the signing of five players this month spurred them on to a vital 2-1 win over relegation rivals Aston Villa at Villa Park.

New arrivals Moussa Sissoko,spacer.gif Yoan Gouffran and Mathieu Debuchy all started and Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa came on as a substitute as Newcastlespacer.gif recorded their first away win of the campaign.

Pardew thanked the club's board for freeing up the cash to sign them - and then heaped particular praise on French midfielder Sissoko, whose sublime pass set up Papiss Cisse's opening goal.

Pardew said: "There has been a lot of work and effort to get that win, not just from the staff and the players, but the directors and [Newcastle managing director] Derek Llambias.

"It was obvious when Demba Baspacer.gif went, in the position we were in, it was a blow to the personality of the team. But the new players have given us a lift.

"Sissoko was magnificent in the first half. He is going to be a powerful player in the Premier League.

"Sissoko made a difference today with his power and control, and he helped Papiss, who has been a bit isolated, especially since Demba [ba] left.

"I have always had my eye on him. That's a nice little aperitif that he showed tonight."

Cisse's strike was followed by a brilliant goal from Yohan Cabayespacer.gif as Newcastle enjoyed one of their best halves of football of the season so far.

However, Villa fought back superbly in the second half and the visitors were forced to hang on for victory.

Magnificent

"In the first half we were magnificent," Pardew added. "We would have given anyone a game with that performance. We played as well as we have played all year.

"In the second half, we had to show another side to our game - to battle, to fight - and everybody played their part.

"We were disappointed to give a goal away after three minutes. It knocked us a little bit. We haven't won for a while, so we were a bit rash with our clearances."

Despite the victory, Pardew insisted his side are still a long way from being out of relegation danger.

He is confident of escaping the drop, though, and believes Villa will also be safe.

"Fair play to Villa," Pardew said. "They got clapped off at the end - and quite right. They gave it everything. I don't think they will go down. They have got too much quality.

"But it was our day today. It is by far not over for us. We have got 14 cup finals to come, but it's a start."

Edited by Andrew

I'm old and getting older, my memory's dim and getting dimmer, but I can't remember any Newcastle match I have ever seen that had two so un-like halves.

First half we were decent and took a 2 goal lead. Second half we were utter shite and hard to believe we slumped away with 3 points(for which I'm grateful).

Pardew's changes were absolutely shite driven, he doesn't have a clue on making substitutions. Mind you it was refreshing to see he didn't put Obertan on.

From the second half kick-off it looked like we were going to do another Reading and lose after leading.

Pardew's changes were absolutely shite driven, he doesn't have a clue on making substitutions. Mind you it was refreshing to see he didn't put Obertan on.

:D

I'm having an argument elsewhere with people saying he should have brought Obertan on.

All this despite him not even being on the bench anyway, so entirely moot.

what happens at half time?

All the players go into the dressing room on a high and pardew turns and says something that puts a downer on the team or tells them that the match is already won and take your foot off the gas they wont score,or does he just say nowt and let obertan give the team talk in french?lol

I think we shouldn't forget that after a potentially dodgy pen, we withstood 45 minutes of a spirited attack from a team absolutely desperate and doing everything to score, that's more than we've been able to do all season.

We just need to build on that and be able to play our way back into control of games like that.

All the players go into the dressing room on a high and pardew turns and says something that puts a downer on the team or tells them that the match is already won and take your foot off the gas they wont score,or does he just say nowt and let obertan give the team talk in french?lol

Spot on I fear

Ok, so I was watching the game in a pub on a dodgy channel that froze up literally every 3 minutes until half time(missed both goals live).

However second half we seemed t come out with a "lets sit back and protect this lead attitude" which totally fucked us up and relied upon a few world class saves from Krul to keep us in the match.

I just feel this should have been a comfortable win, but Pards made it so hard.

Im also not seeing this fantastic debuchy that everyone else is seeing. Cost us a goal and looks very average so far.

I think the half time effect was more down to Villa than us. Agbonlahor & Weimann's introduction have them (effectively) 4 up front, and It looked like they got the hairdrier treatment too.

What would you say to that NUFC team at half time? "Carry on as you are"? "Don't take your foot off the pedal"? As Mackay said, 2-0 is a dangerous scoreline.

I think he comes into the dressing shouting "so french lads, the main part of the second half you will be hoofing longballs up to my bearded best pal here, Strola. Thats how we do here in Newcastle ;)"

Edited by Aeris