Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There are literally no grounds to believe this. You seriously believe all 27 member states are going to agree to the UK having it's cake and eating it, to the detriment of all said states? :lol:

That's the crux right there. Continuing free trade is the least detrimental thing that can happen for all 500 million.

I think I've been pretty consistent that economics will prevail all along. Nothing yet changes that view.

Leaving the EU was a political move, not an economic one. The article states , with reasons, why the response will be political as well. The UK must be truly reviled in Europe by now.

Leaving the EU was a political move, not an economic one. The article states , with reasons, why the response will be political as well. The UK must be truly reviled in Europe by now.

But what about all those convincing economic arguments the leave campaign made? All that extra money every week for the NHS etc

Is it worth pointing out that Jar Jar didn't know which way he going to vote until a few days before the referendum?

:CT:

I didn't buy that at the time. always fancied he'd vote leave

That's the crux right there. Continuing free trade is the least detrimental thing that can happen for all 500 million.

Wrong. The economic hit will be much harder in relative terms for us than the EU. The biggest risk to the EU is political, and free trade is inextricably linked to free movement. Break this and the EU is finished, so it won't be allowed to happen. Virtually everyone knows this except you it seems.

Negotiations are going to be fierce as there is a lot at stake. Historic moment and all that.

Honestly, people put far too much stock into us being a powerful country. Our economy is smaller than Frances. Outside of the SE, we're a second or even third tier state. Better butter our cheeks for a good hard brexiting.

Don't have much to add to whats been said but i was in Brussels last week meeting with a Policy Officer from DG Sanco (a Directorate of the commission). She gave me the sense that there is an incredible amount of caution in the EU and that their own 'balancing act' is just as tricky. She referred to the 'sense' in the commission that pushing for 'too much Europe' would be politically counter-productive. From this, on a separate subject to Brexit, i would infer that the entrenchment of Europe post-Brexit discussions where the union appears to be ever more binded together is not an impression they want to give out. I think this is, among other things, going to give the UK some leverage to achieve concessions. The position of the EU is very much up for grabs right now as those vested interests that want to protect the project are not necessarily going to be gung-ho in negotiations. 

Don't have much to add to whats been said but i was in Brussels last week meeting with a Policy Officer from DG Sanco (a Directorate of the commission). She gave me the sense that there is an incredible amount of caution in the EU and that their own 'balancing act' is just as tricky. She referred to the 'sense' in the commission that pushing for 'too much Europe' would be politically counter-productive. From this, on a separate subject to Brexit, i would infer that the entrenchment of Europe post-Brexit discussions where the union appears to be ever more binded together is not an impression they want to give out. I think this is, among other things, going to give the UK some leverage to achieve concessions. The position of the EU is very much up for grabs right now as those vested interests that want to protect the project are not necessarily going to be gung-ho in negotiations. 

A lot of the bluster is for public consumption on both sides. Right now the 'project' is at a crossroads and I can well imagine saner voices getting more play as things develop.

Other than that there is a fanatic wing of the EU their lead negotiator being a leading light. As a poker player I read this as a gigantic tell. As you say they are probably as frightened as our lot are.

Interesting, am just wondering if it's something to do with the French elections next year?...do you think Le Pen will win? And if she does is she likely to go for "Frexit"? :unsure:

The EU is finished if France votes to leave.

:lol:

What we have here are two bureaucracies neither skilled in the old skool ways of grand politics but paper pushing mice and frightened children wondering how they have manufactured themselves into a position where they are actually going to have to make momentous decisions (the very thing they have avoided their whole careers). :lol:

[emoji38] Save yourself some time by just getting an "I'm sorry" sandwich board made, Rayvin.

I was raised Catholic dammit, if we aren't taking responsibility for every negative thing that's happening around us, we're going to hell. :lol:

CT, surely you must be able to say that this isn't quite what you had in mind? The Tories have taken this vote and are about to create and isolationist, protectionist hellhole.