Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't believe for a second a lot of the people in places like Hull would work in the industry anyway given the chance. If we somehow had a massive fishing industry again then you'd get loads of people from places like the Phillipines working the boats. Obviously the process requires less workforce than in the past too

Plus without EU access to UK coastal waters our fish would face large tariffs if we wanted to export them into the EU. The dream where we drive out the forenners and sell freely anywhere we want isn't possible. Which I suppose is true for pretty much all of the economy.

19 hours ago, Alex said:

I used to love watching Dick Emery (then again I was about 5 at the time). I'm guessing it hasn't aged well as I never seem to the shows repeated anywhere.

No, I’ve never seen them since. Probably too risqué for 2018. 

19 hours ago, ewerk said:

It’s the symbolism of a border between the north of Ireland and the south. At the moment the border is invisible, travel is entirely free flowing. If you start installing CCTV at 200 points along the border it is moving us away from the feel of one country.

The cameras wouldn’t be up 24 hours before many of them would be torn down. This would happen over and over until they’d become more fortified with a possible human presence to protect them. This again escalates the conflict whereby the people protecting them are warned that their life is at risk by doing so.

And that’s without mentioning that a system of CCTV alone is entirely unworkable as a customs solution.

I think we’ll end up in a customs agreement anyway.

18 hours ago, Renton said:

These are going to be magic x ray cameras though.

CT, when are you going to get that there is no technical solution to preventing smuggling and regulatory misalignment. Also, May has already categorically stated there will be no infrastructure at all, and she specifically vetoed the use of cameras.

Did you bother to read that Richard North blog I kindly posted to try to get you to understand the issues involved?

I just do think it’s going to be the issue you think it is. I think that if we are pretty much aligned, have trusted trader schemes and pre cleared goods, the tiny bit of smuggling (not sure what’s getting smuggled) will be left to customs and excise / police to sort out.

I appreciate you think that’s impossible so we’ll just have to see what transpires.

It isn't just about customs though. The agri-food sector is a big part of the NI economy and is an all-Ireland industry with food and beverages constantly crossing the border. How do we allow that free movement without regulatory alignment?

14 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

No, I’ve never seen them since. Probably too risqué for 2018. 

:lol: Give owa, man. Frankie Boyle's regularly appeared on the Beeb doing stuff 100x more controversial than a bloke in drag making innuendoes

4 minutes ago, ewerk said:

It isn't just about customs though. The agri-food sector is a big part of the NI economy and is an all-Ireland industry with food and beverages constantly crossing the border. How do we allow that free movement without regulatory alignment?

But we may have regulatory alignment.

She was pretty clear that any future government that wanted to stray would have to weigh up the consequences in the future.

I still think come New Years leave none of us will really know the difference other than we will have more control domestically and be able to trade freely around the world.

I think we’ll be a better friend to Europe as well rather than the moaning Brits vetoing everything.

10 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

I did :lol: It was a very drawn out discussion on the movement of meat etc I just don’t think it’s insurmountable.

That's how we've ended up here. People assuming something they have little to no understanding of will magically get sorted out. Sorted out by incompetent, self-serving and generally disengenuous politicians as well.

15 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

I did :lol: It was a very drawn out discussion on the movement of meat etc I just don’t think it’s insurmountable.

Apparently their was a BBC documentary about by David Williams in 2014. I’ll have a watch and refresh my memory.

11 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

She was pretty clear that any future government that wanted to stray would have to weigh up the consequences in the future.

I still think come New Years leave none of us will really know the difference other than we will have more control domestically and be able to trade freely around the world.

I think we’ll be a better friend to Europe as well rather than the moaning Brits vetoing everything.

So a customs union and regulatory alignment? That's exactly what the NI back stop proposes. The UK may wish to diverge in the future and that is entirely our right but the EU will not want the possibility of this happening in NI and a hard border being needed 5-10 years down the line which is why they insisted that the UK agree to the legal text that set out clearly what was agreed in December.

And your last two lines are utter rubbish with no substance or tangible benefits.

We're leaving the EU to be a better friend of the EU. I would say you couldn't make that shit up, but you have

Edited by Alex

5 minutes ago, ewerk said:

But we'll have more control, despite the fact that we apparently have loads of control as it is seeing as we're supposedly vetoing everything.

We'll probably get a slightly modified version of the status quo with less control. Perhaps some headline grabbing short-term immigration control bollocks too. Even though immigration will continue to rise and it'll be non-EU which will probably form the majority of it (which could've been controlled anyway, if anyone in power wanted that but because of the skills shortage in loads of sectors, they don't).

I’m sorry you both feel that way but the only way we are going to have a fairer society, better public service and fair immigration is by having fully accountable U.K. politicians ( who can be chucked out every 5 years), making the laws.

Its not enough to simply grow certain sectors without thought for the skills of the current workforce or the knock on effects on society that uncontrolled immigration can have.

This is the approach Blair and governments since have taken which has contributed to a section of society that feels left behind. 

Sure, domestic politics such as not enough housing, plays its part two, but the whole system needs rebooting.

12 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

I’m sorry you both feel that way but the only way we are going to have a fairer society, better public service and fair immigration is by having fully accountable U.K. politicians ( who can be chucked out every 5 years), making the laws.

Its not enough to simply grow certain sectors without thought for the skills of the current workforce or the knock on effects on society that uncontrolled immigration can have.

This is the approach Blair and governments since have taken which has contributed to a section of society that feels left behind. 

Sure, domestic politics such as not enough housing, plays its part two, but the whole system needs rebooting.

Okay, so what is your problem with immigration? Seeing as it wasn’t a big issue previously. And what can we do post-Brexit to help those left behind that we can’t do now?

1 hour ago, Christmas Tree said:

At last. This is BRINO. Glad we are finally agreed.

BTW, Canesten is usually prescribed for vaginal thrush. Thanks also for clarifying you are a irritating fanny. ;)

Edit: beaten to it by AH. :mad:

Edit2: You could also be a smelly cunt.

Edited by Renton

13 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

We already do.

How is that the fault of the EU though? The EU doesn't stop a UK government having the foresight to have enough people trained in emerging sectors. Not having enough people trained in those sectors leads to immigration though, to fill the gaps. What's the EU's role in the massive influx of people from the Subcontinent in the IT sector and the NHS?

How's that the fault of the EU?

Good example there, i.e. something else which isn't the fault of the EU. Also nicely nonexistent on detail. It's not a fucking laptop

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

We could control immigration from the EU currently if we wanted to. Other EU countries do, even those in Schenghen. Like blue passports. You've fallen for a pack of lies. 

Edited by Renton
  • Like 1