Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've always thought it was a shame my mam decided to give up citizenship of her birth country when she settled here (the law there at the time didn't allow her to hold both), but when you see things like this you start to wonder.

4 hours ago, Sonatine said:

Isn't Brexit all about free trade with the rest of the world? It hasn't crossed the mind of any of the Brexiters that the trade might be inbound.

1 hour ago, Meenzer said:

I've always thought it was a shame my mam decided to give up citizenship of her birth country when she settled here (the law there at the time didn't allow her to hold both), but when you see things like this you start to wonder.

You might not have been a horrible, racist cunt if you voted leave, but make no mistake about which side you're on

• Like 1

On 20/03/2018 at 18:46, Renton said:

BTW, anyone watched Soft Border Patrol on iPlayer? Peter Kay-like mockumentary about this issue. Not as funny as the  real life situation. :)

Seen a couple of episodes and enjoying it. Little bits of local humour thrown in.

Plus Karen Hassan. :wank:

10 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

They've done as much to wreck this country as anyone, unfortunately.

In a way, but I feel they are just tapping into the rotten core of English nationalism and geriatric nostalgia. Guess I'm questioning are they the cause or the symptom?

In medicine we usually are forced to treat symptoms; tackling the cause is always more difficult and often involves surgery. Maybe the failure of Brexit will be the surgery we need. It's just a shame we all have to go under the knife. 

Edited by Renton

I think they're both - they're a symptom of what's probably a relative minority of genuinely outraged people, but they also act as an enabler for those whose views are more moderate or just less passionately held, but who get emboldened by seeing stuff like this in the public discourse all the time.

I remember that Gloom would make this argument a lot - the media just following the trends of how people are. I can see that side of it for sure, and maybe it's like a vicious and expanding circle to a degree. You start off with some racist, nationalistic fuckheads - the newspaper panders to them - and then more people are 'won' over by increasingly sensationalised bullshit.

What makes me think that the media don't lead as much now though, is the prevalence of relatively far right (alt right) platforms and individuals now beginning to gain traction with the mainstream. Conventional media has clearly enabled them and set the scene in people's minds for a conversion further to the right, but I think control may be out of their hands to some degree now.

The Daily Mail, IMO, only really speaks to old people who don't like to be challenged, and stupid people, who don't like to be challenged. I doubt anyone of any intellectual capacity considers it to be anything other than unmitigated shite.

Regarding blue passports, I wonder if the mail have mentioned:

1) if the government had chosen to, it could have kept this in-house, like the French do.

2) Government contracts our out to tender are subject to international competition via WTO rules, not EU.

Or maybe they will blame it on the evil EU? 

It's an entirely hypocritical position. They seem to be asking for the government waste money on a more expensive British option on the one hand, whilst on the other demanding that they curtail benefits and cut down investment into public service.

Actually tbh I'm not sure about that last bit, I could just about imagine that the DM come down on the side of public sector workers on some things.

Why is the British option so much more expensive anyway? Surely it's not long for this world if it can be undercut so much by this French manufacturer. Those 40 countries will, you would think, go elsewhere.

Edited by Rayvin

6 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

It's an entirely hypocritical position. They seem to be asking for the government waste money on a more expensive British option on the one hand, whilst on the other demanding that they curtail benefits and cut down investment into public service.

I'm not having that at all. You can denigrate women, indoctrinate us with your plans for a communist utopia but I won't listen to you call the Daily Mail hypocritical, the very notion is absurd.

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

I'm not having that at all. You can denigrate women, indoctrinate us with your plans for a communist utopia but I won't listen to you call the Daily Mail hypocritical, the very notion is absurd.

:lol:

I do have a broad spectrum of beliefs. Don't remember denigrating women like, unless you believe feminism = women.