Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

24 minutes ago, ewerk said:

So this week we got a look at what the USA want from a U.K. trade deal. The highlights include:

Full tariff free access for their agricultural produce and removal of non-tariff barriers. So pretty much the decimation of our farming sector and inability to export of agricultural goods to the EU.

Full access to our service sector while maintaining restrictions on our ability to export services to the USA.

Reform of NHS drug purchasing prices with the result being increased pricing in the U.K.

Restrictions on currency fluctuations of the pound.

Severe restrictions on any future trade deal with China.

What are we actually going to get if benefit? I'm not sure I fully trust the competence of Dr Fox. 

A FTA would add 0.3% to our GDP. That’s based on a fair agreement. Of course we aren’t going to get a fair agreement so will likely be less than that. We’re basically getting fuck all from it but Liam Fox gets to visit the States a few times and meet with some right wingers so there is that.

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

A FTA would add 0.3% to our GDP. That’s based on a fair agreement. Of course we aren’t going to get a fair agreement so will likely be less than that. We’re basically getting fuck all from it but Liam Fox gets to visit the States a few times and meet with some right wingers so there is that.

I know. In fact, the impact of FTAs are generally very limited. The beauty of the single market, which is appreciated by nearly every other European country, is that it effectively acts as an extension to the domestic market. Hence our industry has free access to half a billion customers rather than 60 million. I know you know this but its amazing that hardly any Brexiters get it. 

We'd have to be mad to leave the SM. I think Daniel Hannon said that. 

On 01/03/2019 at 19:29, Renton said:

Listening to Brexicast this morning, and it is increasingly looking possible May will get her deal through, without the EU making any legal changes to the WA. Basically the ERG and DUP have shat their pants and realise they might lose their precious Brexit altogether, and enough labour rebels to get it over the line. Got to say, if that happens, she's played a blinder.

Not sure how i feel about this. On the one hand, i really want to avoid no deal which i fear would be catastrophic. On the other hand, it could well be either a delay to another crash out after the transition period, or a slow decline of our country. Or worse, a swing to the right  by cunts like Johnson and Mogg. Either way it looks like we have years of this shit ahead of us. :(

This is maybe what they were talking about: 

The plan has been drawn up in conjunction with Nigel Dodds, the Westminster leader of the Democratic Unionist Party (DUP). If May can secure the backing of the DUP and ERG, the deal will go through.

The document, seen by The Sunday Times, demands:

● A “clearly worded, legally binding, treaty-level clause which unambiguously overrides” the text of the withdrawal agreement

● Language that “must go beyond simply re-emphasising/re-interpreting the temporary nature of the backstop” and a change to Cox’s legal advice that it would “endure indefinitely”

● A “clear and unconditional route out of the backstop if trade talks fail”, which could mean “a time limit or a unilateral exit mechanism”.

I can’t see that happening though. The best the EU could do is to agree to independent arbitration as to whether the backstop is still needed and even that is a stretch. Plus the ERG leaders must realise that these alternatives arrangements aren’t  viable and even if they were would take many years to put in place.

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

This is maybe what they were talking about: 

I can’t see that happening though. The best the EU could do is to agree to independent arbitration as to whether the backstop is still needed and even that is a stretch. Plus the ERG leaders must realise that these alternatives arrangements aren’t  viable and even if they were would take many years to put in place.

Agreed, the EU and Ireland aren't going for this. Thing is tough, the ERG do not really give a shiny shit about NI or the backstop. If the DUP can be bypassed by whatever mechanism (such as getting enough labour rebels on board), they will be. 

Labour will whip MPs for second referendum vote. How meaningful this is I don't know, but it's a statement of intent at least. We need to hope that there are at least a some balls amongst the Tories now and that they don't get sucked in by May's lunacy.

Just now, ewerk said:

I know you’ve all probably seen this before but it’s fucking depressing that his vote was worth the same as mine.

Sigh.

Yes, yes it is.

Yes on a re-read, I agree. Still though, it's better than a free vote.

And honestly, those Labour MPs have a responsibility to the country at the end of the day. While precisely none of them will actually see it that way, it doesn't stop it being true.

Edited by Rayvin

If Blair hadn’t dragged us into Iraq he’d be remembered as a great PM. It was a great time to live in Britain. Quite a contrast to the last decade of austerity misery and Brexit chaos under the Tories. Unfortunately his legacy will always be Iraq, just as Cameron’s will only ever be calling the referendum.