Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

34 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

I know, banker wankers yadda yadda, but we're talking about the country's tax base here. Not much point in a Corbyn-shaped redistributor taking charge of a country that has nothing left to redistribute.

That said, I increasingly don't see the point in a second referendum even if it results in a Remain vote. The damage, both actual and reputational, has already been done.

BAU tbh

May apparently seeking an extension until 24th May. Which is nothing other than a ploy to run down the clock until it’s way too late to do anything other than accept her deal.

1 hour ago, Meenzer said:

I know, banker wankers yadda yadda, but we're talking about the country's tax base here. Not much point in a Corbyn-shaped redistributor taking charge of a country that has nothing left to redistribute.

That said, I increasingly don't see the point in a second referendum even if it results in a Remain vote. The damage, both actual and reputational, has already been done.

We're a relatively small bank and not that asset based but we've spent a fortune moving stuff to Dublin - fuck knows what the big boys have spent. 

As you say, even if we now remain why would anyone trust the UK when the next leader could be Rees-Mogg or Johnson and the shit starts all over again?

Edited by NJS

2 hours ago, NJS said:

We're a relatively small bank and not that asset based but we've spent a fortune moving stuff to Dublin - fuck knows what the big boys have spent. 

As you say, even if we now remain why would anyone trust the UK when the next leader could be Rees-Mogg or Johnson and the shit starts all over again?

Or Corbyn. ;)

We've suffered huge damage and loss of reputation, no doubt, will take years to fix. But this is only the beginning, if we take this irreversible step we'll break the country for good, literally. 

Conservative and union party. Good for business. What a sick joke. 

Without any specifics it all sounds like bollocks. Drama cooked up between Brussels and London to make it sound like negotiations were going terribly but for a ‘last minute’ break through’.

Though I imagine the legally binding agreements will only be in relation to intentions rather than anything that anyone can be tied down to.

More willy-waving. :rolleyes: #EasiestDealInHistory #WeHoldAllTheCards

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47523611

"Is this a crunch week? Is this not a crunch week? What does this have to do with us any more?" an EU diplomat from a country traditionally close to the UK asked me this weekend.

"Are you having meaningful votes? Are you not?" says another. "Does one cabinet minister agree with the other? Exactly what do you want changed to the backstop? Is the backstop really the only objection to the Withdrawal Agreement? It's up to you British. The EU has no magic wand to wave."

"How can we move forward with the UK?" another EU diplomat spluttered in frustration.

"We held talks this weekend, yes. But with whom? UK civil servants representing whom? Theresa May only?"

"How can the EU conduct negotiations, when the other side (the UK) doesn't have one position but many? And they keep changing and contradicting."

The mood in the EU, I can assure you, is not one of a bloc that is poised to "blink" at the last moment. And there is huge irritation in EU circles that UK government fingers of blame are pointing at Brussels for what they see as EU intransigence.

EU officials reel off with an eye-roll the number of Brexit secretaries, intermediaries and, most recently, the UK Attorney General, Geoffey Cox, who have rolled into Brussels from London, with the perceived attitude of "telling the Europeans what's what" but without (I'm told at the highest levels here) a clear understanding of European law and of how the EU works.

So it looks like the UK have got a legally binding agreement that the EU won't use the backstop to trap them in the customs union.  Which is what the EU have been saying all along.

This really moves the ball into the brexiter's camp. If they are so certain that they have alternative arrangements that mean the backstop won't be needed then they'll have no objection to May's deal. It's a test of whether they actually believe what they've been saying or they're all a bunch of Karen Bradleys.

32 minutes ago, ewerk said:

So it looks like the UK have got a legally binding agreement that the EU won't use the backstop to trap them in the customs union.  Which is what the EU have been saying all along.

This really moves the ball into the brexiter's camp. If they are so certain that they have alternative arrangements that mean the backstop won't be needed then they'll have no objection to May's deal. It's a test of whether they actually believe what they've been saying or they're all a bunch of Karen Bradleys.

As I said a couple of weeks ago,  they know they have overplayed their hand and are fearful that they won't get their precious Brexit. A lot of them will be desperate for an excuse to stand down. 

From what I can tell, nothing has changed sin e the last vote, its all smoke and mirrors. I'll be interested to see if Cox is willing to sacrifice his professional reputation to get this deal through. 

Seeing as Cox has been in Brussels negotiating in the last month he'll undoubtedly have given the green light to May bolting out to Strasbourg last night and will rubber stamp it today in Westminster. No time for parliament to ask a lot of questions at that point...like a big game of call my bluff....

I don't understand how Cox is giving a legal interpretation of something he helped negotiate. Normally this would be a conflict of interest and you'd want someone independent to do it. Still, this is Westminster, normal rules don't apply. 

Does anyo e on this board want this to go through? I don't, it will enable a hardliner to replace May and fuck us all. As well as keep Brexit in the headlines for decades to come. I'm willing to twist rather than stick. I'd probably prefer the shock of no deal tbh. 

I disagree that it will allow a hardliner to fuck us over. It completely ties the hands of the UK in the next stage of negotiations as without the unicorn alternative arrangements then the UK is still trapped in a relationship with the EU. One option available to a hardliner is to sell out NI once the DUP are no longer required and revert back to NI only arrangements.

8 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I disagree that it will allow a hardliner to fuck us over. It completely ties the hands of the UK in the next stage of negotiations as without the unicorn alternative arrangements then the UK is still trapped in a relationship with the EU. One option available to a hardliner is to sell out NI once the DUP are no longer required and revert back to NI only arrangements.

Agreed and I think the latter is inevitable. I can see a populist tory cunt like Johnson getting elected, jettisoning NI and the EU, and making us the 51st state.

But also all this does is drag out the whole sorry mess over years. We'll have continued disinvestment and like a boiling frog not have the moment of crisis or resolution we perhaps need. We can't go on like this. 

Would another crushing defeat tonight be enough to finish her? The one job she had to do since she became PM was to get a deal and get it passed and she will have failed completely in doing that. The EU aren't going to offer any more concessions so a third vote would be pointless.

Edited by ewerk

14 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

DUP and ERG both making negative noises. Looks like May has achieved a perfect failure yet again. 

Will she fuck off now? There's nowhere left to go. No more can kicking. 

This surely has to be the end now. She has to resign and Brexit has to be postponed until after a new election can be held. 

How can the DUP continue to supply confidence to a leader whose deal they will have voted against twice? She and her cronies have insisted that their "complementary agreements" or whatever bullshit are legally binding - the attorney general has just said they aren't. This deal is going nowhere. This country is going nowhere. She has to go immediately.