Anorthernsoul

Yohan Cabaye

All sensible points, but would that really get us into the Champions League? Regardless of who we have as manager and DoF, without spending £30-40m more a season, every season, I don't see how we could possibly sustainably qualify for the CL. The gap is just too big.

I would target a trophy before before a CL spot. You know, the shiny silver things that everyone in football loves to get and what everyone wanted before people were brainwashed into believing that participation in, (but not coming anywhere near winning), a CL campaign had more glory attached to it. It doesn't.

This!

I think some of that is incorrect. Its commercial income from sponsorship, hospitality boxes etc that are down. When i used to go to the Metro radio box around a decade ago, i couldnt believe the sorts of companies that had boxes at SJP. Those companies are long gone since the crash and perhaps before. I think matchday income from ticket sales has been steady, there are clubs who have hiked the prices to show some big growth but we freeze ours. Overseas revenue is not broken down within commercial and there is no analysis of this sub-stream of income over time anywhere that i am aware of so thats made up. We get the cash at the end of this year, not the start. Its arguably an asset already but since we dont run an overdraft, i dont think we have access to it yet.

However, i agree with the sentiment and wanted to share a couple of additional thoughts. There was a narrative within the football finances discussion one or two seasons ago that the money required to break into the top 4 was so astronomical that the risk was hardly worth it. The argument ran that if you want to spend your way there, you either have to lay out 100's of millions or face a strong possibility that additional expenditure will not even affect your league position. It was quite a dominant narrative, exemplified by the astronomical quantity of money spent by Man City to buy a place in the CL places. It was also given credence through the expenditure at clubs like Villa which got them nowhere.

Within this narrative was Spurs and Everton. Spurs were attempting to build towards the CL places financially as they had a solid framework within which to grow. Everton were '

financially challenged' but through 'good management' were able to hover just beneath the top spots, challenging, probing, hoping.

This season has cemented my view that all of that narrative was biased by the one major factor driving success at those clubs; the manager. City had an arsehole in charge throughout their time of riches, Hughes is a cunt, Mancini is a cunt, neither of whom are for me great managers. No wonder it took hundreds of millions for them to buy their way there. O'Neill is as we now all know a shite manager, no wonder Lerner's millions got them nowhere. Spurs had Happy Harry, the fucking knobhead but he got them up there with a set of players that were good but not amazing.

For me, this league is more than open to any club that does 2 things; puts the best manager and coaching staff their budget and talent acquisition skills afford and invest in key areas of the team. Southampton are a good example and in a way so are we, as if we had put 20m down on another attacker, another midfielder (or wherever else you think), you can see that we might have sneaked a few more points already this season.

Then again, without the right mix at the club, you could be Cardiff spending 30m, Norwich wasting 12m on Von Wolfswinkel, 12m for Bony at Swansea etc etc. Only Southamptom have out spent and out performed us and i think they are being subsidised heavily. If they are, it wont be forever.

Good points Chez, but are we likely to invest in the right staff, the right manager etc? Are we likely to get someone like Freddie Fletcher who could tap into opportunities for the club that maybe/probably getting overlooked? (That's if you believe the ludicrous claim that the sportsdirect/firetrap stuff is only being showcased because nobody wanted the advertising space).

Also spot on about Mark Hughes the dirty, muckle-heeded, absolute twat. :good:

No doubt he'll end up at Roma with Rudi Garcia.

I think it's more likely he'll go to Manchester United. With the lack of creative quality they have in midfield they'll jump at a player with Premier League experience who can provide that.

I think some of that is incorrect. Its commercial income from sponsorship, hospitality boxes etc that are down. When i used to go to the Metro radio box around a decade ago, i couldnt believe the sorts of companies that had boxes at SJP. Those companies are long gone since the crash and perhaps before. I think matchday income from ticket sales has been steady, there are clubs who have hiked the prices to show some big growth but we freeze ours. Overseas revenue is not broken down within commercial and there is no analysis of this sub-stream of income over time anywhere that i am aware of so thats made up. We get the cash at the end of this year, not the start. Its arguably an asset already but since we dont run an overdraft, i dont think we have access to it yet.

However, i agree with the sentiment and wanted to share a couple of additional thoughts. There was a narrative within the football finances discussion one or two seasons ago that the money required to break into the top 4 was so astronomical that the risk was hardly worth it. The argument ran that if you want to spend your way there, you either have to lay out 100's of millions or face a strong possibility that additional expenditure will not even affect your league position. It was quite a dominant narrative, exemplified by the astronomical quantity of money spent by Man City to buy a place in the CL places. It was also given credence through the expenditure at clubs like Villa which got them nowhere.

Within this narrative was Spurs and Everton. Spurs were attempting to build towards the CL places financially as they had a solid framework within which to grow. Everton were '

financially challenged' but through 'good management' were able to hover just beneath the top spots, challenging, probing, hoping.

This season has cemented my view that all of that narrative was biased by the one major factor driving success at those clubs; the manager. City had an arsehole in charge throughout their time of riches, Hughes is a cunt, Mancini is a cunt, neither of whom are for me great managers. No wonder it took hundreds of millions for them to buy their way there. O'Neill is as we now all know a shite manager, no wonder Lerner's millions got them nowhere. Spurs had Happy Harry, the fucking knobhead but he got them up there with a set of players that were good but not amazing.

For me, this league is more than open to any club that does 2 things; puts the best manager and coaching staff their budget and talent acquisition skills afford and invest in key areas of the team. Southampton are a good example and in a way so are we, as if we had put 20m down on another attacker, another midfielder (or wherever else you think), you can see that we might have sneaked a few more points already this season.

Then again, without the right mix at the club, you could be Cardiff spending 30m, Norwich wasting 12m on Von Wolfswinkel, 12m for Bony at Swansea etc etc. Only Southamptom have out spent and out performed us and i think they are being subsidised heavily. If they are, it wont be forever.

Really good post Chez..

The only meaningful comparison of commercial income is against other teams in the league/country, and it should include historical data so that growth or decline can be tracked and compared. Anecdotal evidence can be emotive but is ultimately useless.

He is under contract with us and of course, that is where his future lies until such time as we say his future does not lie here.

“So in some ways, it is not cut and dried. But I don't want that to appear as a negative for Yohan because it is a World Cup year for him. I think we are all aware there will be a lot of eyes on him between now and the end of June. A lot of big clubs, who would be interested in him, I'm sure.

Cheerio, Yohan.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/newcastle-united/10482498/Alan-Pardew-struggling-to-keep-Yohan-Cabaye-at-Newcastle-United.html

Indeed, was a cert he'd be moving on and it was purely on whether we could get 15-20m for him no doubt being the reason in the summer that he didn't.

Think we all knew he was using us as a stepping stone like, but he can fuck off after the shite during the summer.

Will we replace him with someone as good? no, will losing him stop us achieving our boards lofty ambitions of winning fuck all and finishing mid table, no.

if we were looking to compete for things it'd be a loss, but i honestly couldn't give a flying fuck these days when we're aiming for mediocrity who cares if we're losing one of the better players, we're not building on having them anyway.

I think he was probably Tiote's replacement but no-one ended up putting an offer in for him. As good a player as Cabaye is, Sissoko, Tiote, Anita, Bigi and a new face would be decent enough cover if we got a big offer for him

I think he was probably Tiote's replacement but no-one ended up putting an offer in for him. As good a player as Cabaye is, Sissoko, Tiote, Anita, Bigi and a new face would be decent enough cover if we got a big offer for him

I don't think any of that lot can replace him. He's head and shoulders more influencial than any of them, he controls matches for us.

Both Tiote and Cabaye look much more saleable assets this season than last, so we've got to expect better offers in the next two windows.

None of these are anywhere near Cabaye's level though. Anita has shown promise and I think Sissoko has the ability but they're miles off at the moment.

The only meaningful comparison of commercial income is against other teams in the league/country, and it should include historical data so that growth or decline can be tracked and compared. Anecdotal evidence can be emotive but is ultimately useless.

161l5ao.jpg

No other club has seen a drop in Ashley's time. Not even the Mackems, so the regional economy excuse doesn't hold water either.

161l5ao.jpg

No other club has seen a drop in Ashley's time. Not even the Mackems, so the regional economy excuse doesn't hold water either.

Indeed, there are no excuses for that.

super, another pointless chart and all of the colours look the same.

cant you just go for coffee with everyone else at lunch??

If you can't work out which purple, red, yellow or blue is which club, you're thicker than I gave you credit for.

super, another pointless chart and all of the colours look the same.

cant you just go for coffee with everyone else at lunch??

Might be pointless to you but some people enjoy detailed analysis.

If you can't work out which purple, red, yellow or blue is which club, you're thicker than I gave you credit for.

To be honest some of the blue/purplish shades are rather tricky to differentiate :P

To be honest some of the blue/purplish shades are rather tricky to differentiate :P

From the context could you discern which was NUFC? Given it's the only descending line? :finger: