Statues

Howmanheyman

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe Harvey is the only one (to repeat myself) won stuff as a manager and player/captain

Stan Seymore won stuff as a player, manager and director/chairman didn't he? Manager/Director all rolled into one at one point if I'm not mistaken. Mind you, we don't want to remind Ashley and Lambias of that!

Stan Seymore won stuff as a player, manager and director/chairman didn't he? Manager/Director all rolled into one at one point if I'm not mistaken. Mind you, we don't want to remind Ashley and Lambias of that!

Was gonna suggest Seymour like.

I agree with Keegan (both as player & manager), but with Ashley in charge there is more chance of a Souness statue going up!

I'd like us to name the East Stand, have done for years.

Aye, but Harvey was synonymous with the team for years, he's the only one who should have a statue IMO (which is what I meant above, he should have had one ahead of SBR and Milburn even)

Edited by Toonpack

I still don't believe Bobby should have a statue. Yes he did do a cracking job for us but he gets more adulation due to him being a local and with his personality being what it was.

Always said there have been a few that are more deserving than him.

I'd have this as the model for any Harvey statue.

image-4-nufc-player-and-manager-joe-harvey-down-the-years-797259298.jpg

Can't remember who funded the SBR statue, I think it was the Fatman though.

Wonder if he'd go halfers on one for Joe, if the fans could raise the other half for it?

If even half the match day fans put a quid in we'd not be far off raising enough I reckon.

The sad thing is,if we did put up a statue of Harvey, I reckon there'd be a significant proportion of fans who wouldn't have a clue who he was.

That's the sad (criminal) thing about it, he should have had one first IMO

The sad thing is,if we did put up a statue of Harvey, I reckon there'd be a significant proportion of fans who wouldn't have a clue who he was.

That is really the thing, normally the people who pay for these things do it for a reason (PR).

If they can put a statue up that 90% of people know or one that 40% know they are always going to pick the former.

al the more reason to get a statue up of him then really, to educate the youngsters that there was football before Sky ;)

(As I'm suffering from insomnia and bored)

Imagine you get this phone call from the club;

"Awight Geordie?

It's Dewick Lame-arse ere, You've been wandomly selected by Noocarsull United FC to pick free (3) statues to go outside each cornah of St. James' Park, (name courtesy of yer old 'Wonga'), As you know we've alweady got old man Sir Bobby dahn by the Milburn/Gallowgate cornah, we'd like you to nominate free (3) other ex-Noocarsull legends to go in the west of the cornahs of the stadium. So let me know your choices and why you fink we should choose your choices.

Cheers."

So, who do you pick and why? :D

I've been suffering from insomnia too, for a few weeks. It's making me young eyes look like Dev Alahan am fuckin sick of it. 237am every morning "du du DU DU I got you babe, du du DU DU I got you babe" without the sound, every fuckin day for 2 weeks till a few nights ago and it was 4am.

Anyway. The ground should be named after Peter Beardsley that's how much I love him. He gets a load of shit you know people saying he's a cunt, I've met him one on one 6 or 7 times, always an absolute gentleman with all the time in the world for you, greatest player I've ever seen.

I'd choose Keegan but those cockney bastards wouldn't have it, so me second choice would be Hughie Gallagher. Reading the history books, he more or less single handedly won us our last title, 5ft5 captained the club, left us for a world record fee, a legend by any measure.

The last one would be Alan Shearer. I'll be honest, I don't like him as a bloke, he comes across as a dour arrogant nobhead. At the same time, imo he is the greatest centre forward in the history of English football, he's a geordie and he gave his best years to Newcastle United, can't say fairer than that.

As amazing a bloke as SBR was, how anyone can rank what he did for the club compared with Keegan baffles me. Keegan took us from being the lowest of the low, to being WITHOUT DOUBT one of the best sides in world football for a while. He did it with an almost god like presence the likes of which I doubt English football will see again. SBR, aye he did a canny job, but that team he took over we were too good to go down imo, the second season was a disaster and it wasn't until we signed Bellamy and Robert for money all bar 4 other clubs could afford that we actually kicked on, and a lot of that was to do with Chelsea and Liverpool underachieving. People rewrite history, but I can think of a good few better Newcastle managers than SBR imo. People are fickle, half the crowd wanted him gone when we finished 5th in 2004, that is a FACT that frequently gets swept under the carpet.

Edited by McFaul