Newcastle v Stoke

Happy Face

I've not started a match thread in donkeys, so here goes.....

Newcastle United have conceded two goals in each of their last four home league games, losing twice.

The same fixture last season resulted in a comfortable 3-0 win for the Toon and saw them climb into the top four above Tottenham.

Over the past two seasons, whichever side emerged victorious in the first fixture between the two sides has gone on to win the second. Stoke City won the previous fixture 2-1 at the Britannia Stadium.

Stoke City's only away win in the league this season came at the start of December when Dean Whitehead scored the only goal of the game against West Brom.

The Potters have failed to score a single goal in five of their last six away games, which incidentally, is a run that immediately follows the victory at the Hawthorns.

Pulis' side have scored the fewest goals away from home (eight) than any other side, yet also have the best defensive record than any other team in the bottom half of the league when on their travels.

This fixture brings back bad memories for Stoke striker Peter Crouch, who saw three of his teeth knocked out by Fabricio Coloccini during the 2-1 victory over Newcastle earlier in the season.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first 45 minutes in the corresponding fixture to this last season were arguably the best we have played under Pardew. I remember Palacios actually rugby tackling Ben Arfa as he could get nowhere near him. :lol:

The first 45 minutes in the corresponding fixture to this last season were arguably the best we have played under Pardew. I remember Palacios actually rugby tackling Ben Arfa as he could get nowhere near him. :lol:

Just as bad days trigger recollections of previous onfield misadventures, then so do memorable matches conjure up memories of happy times. Although this victory made it six games unbeaten, today was the day when we genuinely strutted for the first time in that run and oozed class right across the park - those who dusted off the 'Entertainers' tag afterwards were on the button.

Scoring goals that were in equal parts brilliant and inspired, Newcastle seemed possessed with an unstoppable momentum and there was something majestic about their play from front to back.

The multi-faceted attack today showcased Cabaye, who has provided multiple assists during this run but today took on the goalscoring mantle and also found time to unfurl an incredible slide-rule pass through for Cisse to score. Never seen before say some; Beardsley to Cole, say I. Yes, that good.

The mood of the support was unsurprisingly buoyant, with the sight of a winning and entertaining side in black and white duly savoured. The manager was quick to acknowledge one massive chorus of "Pardew Wonderland", while such was the air of positivity that even the East Stand made some noise - possibly for the first time since Frank Clark scored against Doncaster.

In truth, it took a while for the Magpie bandwagon to get off the hard shoulder today and Stoke missed a glorious chance to go ahead, but given what soon unfolded it's tempting to say that our defence conceding at that point would have just made us angry.

Ahead through Cabaye, a supernatural finish from Cisse then moved the focus on to Demba Ba - both colleagues and supporters looking to encourage him into breaking his scoring duck. And although he again failed to do so, there was no lack of effort from him and visible appreciation of the support devoted to him from the stands.

Within 24 hours, results elsewhere had confirmed our participation in one or other of the European competitions next season for the first time since 2007, regardless of what happens in our remaining four games. Having hit such a rich vein of form, having to 'settle' for the Europa League might seem like a slight letdown, but from a club who began their last UEFA campaign in the Interoto Cup we're overjoyed to be in at all.

(By the way, in addition to planning for the additional fixtures in terms of playing staff, the club need to retain their praiseworthy mentality of filling St.James' Park this season by reducing prices when they decide the pricing structure for European home games - with the inevitable live TV coverage, some realistic tariffs need to be applied to fill as many seats as possible).

The popular "going to Italy" refrain was in evidence again today, but for a sample of the other overseas delights on offer, then look no further than the Potters, who managed ten games in Europe this season and made it to Croatia, Switzerland, Ukraine, Turkey and Spain.

That City have managed back to back league wins just once in 2012 and posted a succession of thoroughly ordinary domestic displays and results though cannot be wholly explained away by their Europa League participation however.

Seeing over-priced show ponies Jerome, Jones, Upson and Pennant languishing on the subs bench tells its own story of an unbalanced, underachieving and ageing squad, while eggs in one basket signing Crouch seems now to be unwisely incorporating his robotic goal celebrations into general play.

Two goals in five first half minutes settled the destiny of the points and there could have been more; Demba Ba almost ending his barren spell and Davide Santon trying his luck. Cisse had an effort disallowed after the interval when Ba's shot was spilled and Fabricio Coloccini headed narrowly wide before Cheick Tiote answered crowd urgings and served up two stinging efforts in quick succession.

3-0 it stayed though, with scorers Cabaye and Cisse were substituted to standing ovations, job done (the former had signalled to the bench just before scoring his second that he had a problem with his foot. It didn't affect his shooting....)

Substitute James Perch then added to his growing reputation, blocking a goalbound Crouch effort with his first touch. Shola Ameobi made a nuisance of himself up front as the frustrated visitors threatened less and less.

There had been some talk of Tim Krul missing out on this game due to a back spasm, but in fairness putting his boots on was almost the most testing part of his shift today. Leon Best meanwhile made a low-key return from injury as an unused substitute.

Four to go then, with three of them against sides with everything still to play for, but all of them now rightly regarding the task of playing a Toon side in rude health with some caution.

To be playing at this level at this point of the season is almost unprecedented and never mind European qualification, the top six finish can rightly be claimed as payback for those fans who stuck with the club in their gradual decline over a decade.

There really been some bloody awful nights since, with perhaps the pick of them the league loss at Scunthorpe in October 2009. From there to here is a pretty remarkable trek, comparable to going from defeat at Roots Hall on New Years Day 1992 to dancing in the streets of Antwerp and Bilbao just two years later. Entertainers? Miracle workers. Merci, Gracias, Grazie, Dank u....

http://nufc.com/html/2011-12html/2012-04-21stoke-h.html

He trapped a floated pass under no pressure. :lol:

It's nice but not out of this world.

he totally killed the ball on the spot with one touch. no movement on it whatsoever. not an easy skill

A lot of the stuff that gets on that showboat reel is showy but in reality a lot less skillful than that. It's not something I would excited about but you have to appreciate the level of technique that it requires.

Over the weekend when Cisse scored his belter against Southampton MOTD2 were discussing which goal was best, his or Berbatov or some Man U bell-end.

They agreed Berba was best because he watched the ball for an age as it fell from a height and timed his volley perfect, great technique.

It's the same here, except Ben Arfa doesn't just have to time it right for wellying it full pelt, but for trapping it and keeping it under control. Even more skillful if you ask me.

I wet myself when I saw it at the stadium. Hadn't seen it since, so thanks for posting Tooj. Liquid football.

It's the same here, except Ben Arfa doesn't just have to time it right for wellying it full pelt, but for trapping it and keeping it under control. Even more skillful if you ask me.

Surely it's much harder to time and execute an accurate volley than to just bring a ball under control. It is btw. I will not entertain any further discussion about this.

The football was flowing so well last season, we really did play like a top 4 team for most of the campaign.

We've looked like a totally different team this year, having said that I think we will win by a couple of goals on Sunday.

Stoke have been pretty dismal lately. Expect them to be overtly physical as per usual but i think we'll be too much for them at home.

Definitely need 3 points given how unpredictable the other teams' results are.