Newcastle v Stoke

Happy Face

Good substitutions from Pardew that won us the game. Do feel we need to bring in a very good attacking coach though, one that won't just toe the party line but will bring some good fresh ideas to the table and will put Pardew in his place if he feels he needs to. We looked very disjointed again going forward and it's something that we must address longer term.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good substitutions from Pardew that won us the game. Do feel we need to bring in a very good attacking coach though, one that won't just toe the party line but will bring some good fresh ideas to the table and will put Pardew in his place if he feels he needs to. We looked very disjointed again going forward and it's something that we must address longer term.

Could do with Ben Arfa in there too. Agreed about another coach, maybe they'll makes backroom changes in the summer as is quite normal.

2 home games against mid-table oppo, 1 away game at the Champions and 1 away game at Wigan. 7pts from 12 would be decent.

Having a browse of the Stoke match thread on http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com and at one point they were genuinely discussing rugby. You couldn't make it up

Edited by The Fish

I get what he's saying about Sissoko to an extent, in that his surging runs where he takes the ball past several players tends to lack an end ball. But saying he has 'no consistency' is a bit much.

Sissoko has not many options when he's to deliver the ball, Cisse never there and Jonas and Gouffran are to wide and never able to carry the ball with them very far. We could do better with more narrow 4312, with two strikers Cisse & Ben-Arfa, Cisse & Gouffran, or even Gouffran & Ben-Arfa, using Marveaux to his strength behind them, and just forget about wingers...

Sissoko has not many options when he's to deliver the ball, Cisse never there and Jonas and Gouffran are to wide and never able to carry the ball with them very far. We could do better with more narrow 4312, with two strikers Cisse & Ben-Arfa, Cisse & Gouffran, or even Gouffran & Ben-Arfa, using Marveaux to his strength behind them, and just forget about wingers...

That's a decent idea. Debuchy and Santon/Haidara are basically wingbacks anyway.

Campbell was quite good on the last touch of the match, found space on the right side and looked quick. Excited to see more of him in the last 10 minutes, especially against a team not as robust as Stoke!

8544637691_fa541128db_o.gif

So casually taken, brilliant goal. With Cisse's reputation, I immediately suspected him to be offside but great play all round and a deserved win. Shame we had to needlessly give away that pen otherwise a 2 goal win would have taken us to 11th.

Very different approaches to free kick taking though! :D

Yup. Robert usually just lashed at them but I can remember a few times when he went for placement too.

The way Cabaye just takes a step and sidefoots them in is brilliant. Some technique. Today's was all about placement but he can get great power in there too when he wents without taking anything of a run up.

Over the moon with this result.

Predictably Stoke stopped us playing and the ref was worse than useless. Whether results indicate it or not Stoke make it very hard for teams via legitimate techniques or being dirty cheating bastards,

They packed the final third & played on the break with a couple of pacey playes, Walters & Jerome broke well against us. Though it was tight in the final 3rd I was that we could have had a speculative pop a couple of times rather than messing about outside the box.

Sadly as I posted before - they broke up the play, dived, cheated & smashed us & the ref let them do it - he played it perfectly into their hands but the sunday crowd didn't help oh and it was fucking freezing which also didn't help.

The january signings have worked a wonder & saved Pardew's skin - as many people said - including myself - back him or sack him - because the tools he had to do the job weren't enough for the competitions we had to play in. Gouffran wasn't brilliant today, he missed a decent chance but he's at least an intelligent player & a real asset. Debuchy looked solid & dangerous, Yanga-Mbiwa was brilliant, Haidara was a great substitute & he'll make a better player of Santon - who he may just end up better than. Sissoko is one of the most solid players I can remember for United, he really looks the real deal - at 23 - the sheer athleticism is frightening.

Tiote played really, really well today & looked like the player he was a couple of years back but that tackle for the penalty was mad as fuck. He could have left the man & just stood off & we were unlikely to concede.

If we can keep Cabaye he's a natural captain - as he was at Lille - sad about Coloccini if he doesn't want to stay here but we've got enough heroes to move on.

It's difficult all round to play against teams like Stoke & it's hard to judge how our more cultured players can get by against spoilers but Pardew's subs today were excellent & perfectly timed - Marv was very important - though at times a little lazy. Three times in a row we've come from behind to win at home now & I think we are mentally very strong - which is so important & think the January additions have helped Pardew forge this mentalilty - particularly Sissoko.

Stoke are a nice time to beat, time wasting, fouling, diving, cheating bastards. They seldom concede many goals & there's often only one goal in it - I'm glad we were the benefactors today - great crowd too.

Haidara looked lively in his cameo. Good to have a left sided player who is left footed for once. His heavy right footedness limits and makes Santon predictable when getting forward.