Mike Ashley -- Irrelevant Cunt

Christmas Tree

Do you not think it's more likely that those journalists that aren't getting privaledged access will be more free to criticise the club? Of course it won't be particularly helpful if the national press go too far the other way, but for me the local press has been a lot more representitive of the fans since theyve been on the outside.

Of course I say this as someone who buys no papers local or otherwise.

That's part of my larger point; Those on the outside will be negative or disinterested. The local Journos will poison the well, the national ones will simply make their money reporting on the other clubs in the area instead. No skin off their nose, is it?

I think the local Journos who've lost access have been more honest, but if Ashley's Newcastle United offer them limited access, I can't see them being in a position to turn that down. The Chronicle relies on Newcastle United to fill their back pages and I'd be interested to see how much of their circulation is predominately because of it?

I'd be surprised if the national press loses interest tbh. When are Sunderland or Boro ever on the back pages of the nationals? No one outside of Wearside and Teesside have any more interest in them than they do in Leceister or Wigan. To most of the country they are completely irelevant.

This isn't me saying that we're something special or up there with the Manchester clubs, Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool in the wider football worlds conciousness but we're a hell of a lot more significant than them. Significant enough that on far too many occasions we've been on the front pages never mind the back. We are known around the football world (for things that maybe history now but we are still known) whereas many football fans in France/Spain/Italy/Germany will know very little about Sunderland and a lot won't have even heard of Boro (in the same way as my dad had never heard of the team where Marveaux has went on loan. Tbh I know very little about them and I watch my fair share of european football).

It might be because we are a soap opera of a club rather than because we win anything but the interest is definitely there. And not getting soundbites from Pardew or the players will make very little differnce to that as far as I can see.

I don't doubt that we're more newsworthy, but surely if they're getting no access they can create football stories with the clubs that do provide access?

They can still create stories though. It remains to be seen whether they will be barred from pre and post game press conferences but if they are then they'll still run with quotes in response to others' questions.

They can still re hash whatever bullshit Pardew comes out with to MOTD or Sky. What's in the papers or on television is rarely any different is it? And it may well be that under premier league rules he has to give a press conference anyway.

They can still do match reports (they aren't banned from the ground but even if they were they could see pretty much every match on television one way or the other).

They'll still most likely have their sources to give them bits of inside information on transfers/injuries/falling outs. Ryder still suggests he has.

All they're really likely to lose is the ability to talk to club staff for official confirmation on things or to do shite filler articles.

I just dont' see the issue.

The newspaper pressers often result in more of a grilling for the manager and as a result more telling responses.

Jake humphrey just hasn't got the breadth of knoweldge to challenge Pardew on anything that Caulkin (for example) has.

The newspaper pressers are usually closed shops and no-one revelas what was said as they all want to protect their stories for the morning.

Any journo excluded isn't going to get to ask the searching questions, nor have access to what answers are given.

"Media partner" shills of the club just won't ask those questions either.

It's rare that a Newcastle manager says anything of note in pressers, but it does happen irregularly. This only ensures it's less regular.

The suggestion seems to be that we have to do a press confernce per league rules so if thats the case then they won't miss out on the chance to askk any more difficult questions.

Whether they get answered is would be the issue I suppose. If Pardew will only take questions from the Sun who are our media partner then I wouldn't expect any difficult ones to be asked.

When was the last time anything of significance was learned via a journalist asking hard questions?

Can someone give an example of what they want caulking to uncover?

Is it not better when a manager deals with player issues that arise behind closed doors in a dignified manner?

Basically what has been knocked on the head is the press circus at the training ground where mostly the 5 or 6 local hacks get to do meaningless player interviews. The club are now doing these in house to drive fans to the website / Nufc TV.

The suggestion seems to be that we have to do a press confernce per league rules so if thats the case then they won't miss out on the chance to askk any more difficult questions.

Whether they get answered is would be the issue I suppose. If Pardew will only take questions from the Sun who are our media partner then I wouldn't expect any difficult ones to be asked.

They do have to have a press conference for the league's official broadcast partners but they don't necessarily have to let the papers into it.

Basically what has been knocked on the head is the press circus at the training ground where mostly the 5 or 6 local hacks get to do meaningless player interviews.

What media circus would this be?

When was the last time anything of significance was learned via a journalist asking hard questions?

Can someone give an example of what they want caulking to uncover?

Is it not better when a manager deals with player issues that arise behind closed doors in a dignified manner?

Basically what has been knocked on the head is the press circus at the training ground where mostly the 5 or 6 local hacks get to do meaningless player interviews. The club are now doing these in house to drive fans to the website / Nufc TV.

If someone could give you an example it would have already been uncovered.

On the one hand CT wants us to believe press conferences are valueless.

On the other hand he wants us to believe they're so important that Ashley has stumbled onto a major revenue stream in selling the rights.

He normally takes a few months before doing his 180s. Encapsulating both views at the same time shows his evolution in the field of wummery.

Well done Ashley i say.The staff get paid so why should get get freebies.

Because they do at every other club and always have done. That doesn't make it right, players and staff earn much more than they did in the past, they shouldn't need these perks now, but it's the way it is.

Ashley likes to ruffle feathers and be seen as someone who changes the landscape of whichever industry he's working in though. He'll think no club will provide a player for interview without being paid and no family will get a free ticket in 10 years.

He might be right, but at the moment it's Newcastle staff getting shafted on the eve of the new season. I think a few free tickets in a half empty stadium is a small price to pay for good staff morale.

Not getting a freebie is not being shafted.I wonder how many of the staff will now pay to attend ? Can anyone who is `for' freebies really complain about the price of their tickets ? Ex- players and ex-managers should all pay,like me,to watch games.

They're being shafted if all other clubs and all their international colleagues get taken care of with free tickets from their clubs.

Look at Toure crying about his birthday cake when top players at other clubs get a free Bugatti.

You're supposed to induce players to want to come/stay, not piss them off with petty small change demands.

Can just see Carver on the training pitch whipping out his card scanner after the 5-a-sides and asking who wants to buy tickets.

• Andrew changed the title to Mike Ashley -- Irrelevant Cunt