The Battle for the Top Half

Happy Face

Marveaux couldnt hold the midfield though, which by earmarking those two players you seem to be suggesting.

Or I'm still getting the wrong end of the stick.

Marveaux and "quality" just don't go for me -> more "good prospect". I even think that guy whos gone Abeid? was better -

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marveaux couldnt hold the midfield though, which by earmarking those two players you seem to be suggesting.

Or I'm still getting the wrong end of the stick.

This

Let's go back to basics.

Assume you have 50% possession of the ball in an average game.

That means, for half of the game, we need to try to get the ball back.

You'd have HBA, Marveaux and Gouffran standing on the half way line, hands on hips, while Sissoko and Cabaye run around like blue arsed flies desperately trying to get the ball back. The opposition would just need to bide their time for an hour or so, before Cabaye and Sissoko's lungs pack in, and destroy us.

A solid defensive shape is as much about managing energy levels to last the 90 minutes.

Started Perch and Tiote and the goals came raining in, kinda shows that if you fuck up the equilibrium of attack and defense you are so fucked. We didn't create anything that match because of that.

It was only 2 nowt at half time when Perch came off. Tiote got dragged off 20 minutes into the second half too. We conceded 4 with Ben Arfa, Goffran, Sissoko, Cabaye and Cisse on.

The problem wasn't personell though, it was the fact that none of them had any clue what the bloke alongside/in front/behind them was up to. That's something to sort out in the summer*. For now we need as settled a starting 11 as we can manage, that can play with each other in a system they're familiar with.

*Pardew really needs to decide on his vision of how we will play, he needs to let his chairman know what he'll need to fulfil it, and he needs to drum it in to each player what their role is in that system. Otherwise it'll be curtains before christmas.

Let's go back to basics.

Assume you have 50% possession of the ball in an average game.

That means, for half of the game, we need to try to get the ball back.

You'd have HBA, Marveaux and Gouffran standing on the half way line, hands on hips, while Sissoko and Cabaye run around like blue arsed flies desperately trying to get the ball back. The opposition would just need to bide their time for an hour or so, before Cabaye and Sissoko's lungs pack in, and destroy us.

A solid defensive shape is as much about managing energy levels to last the 90 minutes.

That last sentence is bollocks. As much about that as what?

That last sentence is bollocks. As much about that as what?

As much about managing energy levels as it is anything else. It's one of the main considerations of the top level game.

There is no point in being brilliant for 65 minutes if you're dead on your arse for the final half an hour and throw away any lead you had.

As much about managing energy levels as it is anything else. It's one of the main considerations of the top level game.

There is no point in being brilliant for 65 minutes if you're dead on your arse for the final half an hour and throw away any lead you had.

The way I've always been taught is that you maintain energy levels by having good defensive shape. If the balance of the side is right and you as an individual pick up your positioning early then you should rarely have to sprint when your team don't have the ball. Clearly it is a factor but it's is more of a product of defensive shape that you conserve energy, the system isn't really designed to conserve it in that sense.

It was only 2 nowt at half time when Perch came off. Tiote got dragged off 20 minutes into the second half too. We conceded 4 with Ben Arfa, Goffran, Sissoko, Cabaye and Cisse on.

This is all bollocks put in a context that you think looks smart. Like we were playing ultra-defensive and it's "ONLY" 2 down already... 0-2 down early and it would put any team out of balance, and the creative forces came on too late and extremely disorganized and panicky.

Ole Solskarr came on for the last 10 minutes of many a Man U match and had an immediate impact.

If your "creative forces" are that creative they aren't disorgansied and panicky.

Look at colo , straight in the team.

They just aren't good enough yet imo.

Ole Solskarr came on for the last 10 minutes of many a Man U match and had an immediate impact.

If your "creative forces" are that creative they aren't disorgansied and panicky.

Look at colo , straight in the team.

They just aren't good enough yet imo.

Scram Mackem-boy

is that your default response to call us a mackem?

What's sadder is looking on my profile page to find that someone pissed us off with that earlier in the day.

I'm not here to have flame wars, but to chat with fans - if i disagree thats it , it isn't personal. Unless you start calling me a mackem and acting like a twat.

:lol:

3 entirely factual sentences. Not even opinion.

Factual, but it doesn't mean shit. But you are the lord of statistical bollocks afterall..

Edited by Aeris

"You can prove anything with facts"

Got a point, but still I don't think you provided enough actual facts to give the whole match an resolute opion.

It's more like you selected a few to make the situation look good. Therefore out of true context.

Edited by Aeris

Got a point, but still I don't think you provided enough actual facts to give the whole match an resolute opion.

It's more like you selected a few to make the situation look good. Therefore out of true context.

Then find the facts or stats which disprove HF's assertions.

Going to be a Chelsea fan for a day on Saturday. A win for them and a win for us and we're safe iirc.

Also a point for us and a loss for Wigan on tuesday.

''Lets relegate the bastards'' Harry will be saying on Sunday...

Also a point for us and a loss for Wigan on tuesday.

''Lets relegate the bastards'' Harry will be saying on Sunday...

On the basis that Redknapp is definitely in charge of QPR next season, who do you think he'd rather be competing with for promotion? Is there a chance he might prefer to come up against Wigan?

On the basis that Redknapp is definitely in charge of QPR next season, who do you think he'd rather be competing with for promotion? Is there a chance he might prefer to come up against Wigan?

oooh!! :scratchchin: