Wimbledon 2013

Meenzer

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It always tickles me when professional sportsmen in non team sports events get cheered by crowds because of their nationality. He wasn't representing anyone bar himself and good luck to him.

I suppose that goes some way to explaining the occasional plummy Home Counties voice shouting "Come on, Knowvak!" from the Centre Court stands today (that and the desperate need to be different, obviously). Still, though, I don't feel like Murray is any less "mine" than 11 footballing mercenaries effectively representing themselves, even if they happen to be wearing the same national team shirt while doing so.

There's the reason then fair enough!

Jesus people need to wind their necks in on here a bit, if it's this bad for some shitey sport and a scottish lad winning something in it, what's it going be like in the footy section when we sign fuck all and Kinnear has force fed Hatem a sausage roll

You'll jump straight in without knowing anything about it then too? ;)

Mind the whole thing is doubly ridiculous given he hasn't actually donated the money (this time). :D

Apparently he's donating some of it from this win and he donated all of his Queens winnings a few weeks ago which was £70k

The Royal Marsden are treating/have treated his best mate Ross Hutchins for Hodgkin's lymphoma recently and he had his last chemotherapy 2 weeks ago.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/412604/My-friend-Andy-Murray-helped-me-fight-cancer-says-Ross-Hutchins

Whatever, I'd say Murray is a top bloke getting that particular monkey of our backs. ;)

Ant, funding in clinical trials is massively complex, not something I could discuss here. I don't agree with your strange assertion that large charities are less worthy of donations than small ones though, infact quite the opposite.

i'll echo renton's sentiments.

murray's win rounded off a feel good weekend for me. my sister in law got hitched on friday, the whole weekend was spent drenched drinking fine wine, catching up with friends and family all the while drenched in sunshine.

murray's win rounded it all off. a superb performance and one of those sporting events that you'll remember where you were when watching it. still buzzing today from it, and reading all the post match commentary.

how can anyone not enjoy such a momentous achievement? i think i'd be buzzing for him even if i wasn't british.

Aye, that's the thing. As much as anything it felt like a relief, like when Ivanisevic won in 2001 - someone getting their reward for years of hard slog. Obviously if you don't like the sport in the first place then that'll mean nothing to you, but if you do...

It was a class weekend of sport. The Lions winning on Saturday (not usually a rugby fan but have watched and enjoyed this series), Froome knacking the field in the TdF later that day and then Murray yesterday. The weather being brilliant helped it all along too.

You'd never need to leave this country if we got more weekends like this one.

And the ashes to come this week.

He won 7 matches in a tournament which is seeded and played on home turf,A grand slam win doesn't compare with winning a golf major where you have to be better than every other competitor.To all you Murray/tennis fans,without checking,where is your hero playing his next tournament ? G....O....O....G...L...E...............If i had to spray with acid any sporting crowd at an event of my choice it would be Wimbledon Centre Court on mens final day.

He won 7 matches in a tournament which is seeded and played on home turf,A grand slam win doesn't compare with winning a golf major where you have to be better than every other competitor.To all you Murray/tennis fans,without checking,where is your hero playing his next tournament ? G....O....O....G...L...E...............If i had to spray with acid any sporting crowd at an event of my choice it would be Wimbledon Centre Court on mens final day.

Fuck me some people are miserable twats

Bandwaggon jumpers.You've had your two weeks of acting like knakkas,you've drank your Pimms,now get yourself down to Sports Direct for your tennis racket and tennis balls ,which you'll be sick of in a fortnight,and get it out your system for another year. `Go go Murray,Go Go'. Get a grip you knakkas.

:lol:

Obviously wouldn't spray the crowd with acid, like, but, err........I see where he's coming from regarding the crowd......... :outahere:

Whatever, I'd say Murray is a top bloke getting that particular monkey of our backs. ;)

Ant, funding in clinical trials is massively complex, not something I could discuss here. I don't agree with your strange assertion that large charities are less worthy of donations than small ones though, infact quite the opposite.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/

what do you reckon to that? I wish they had something more euro-centric.

I've been to centre court a few times. It's bloody brilliant. Obviously not a game of football is it? Still a mint day out. Tennis, champers, pimms, strawberries and cream. What's not to like?

He almost certainly won't have decided yet, but Hamburg usually isn't long after Wimbledon, so maybe that? (It used to be in May, which is why I was able to go and see several days of it on my university year abroad.)

I do take your point about gloryhunters and toffs, but I love the game. Off work today with the deadly man-flu so I've been reading all about the wacky world of Bruno Rebeuh - as well as YouTube surfing for clips like this, which might put a few people's minds at ease when it comes to goalline technology in football. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edlWAOZTBnQ

Paul Lawrie won the open in 1999 by beating every other competitor.If i'm not mistaken,Murray beat one top 20 seed to win Wimbledon.Lets put this `Sir Andrew Murray' crap to bed .

You are, but it's only the third worst mistake in your post. The second is dismissing knockout formats as a valid sporting construct, and the first is thinking golf is a sport.