The good things about England.

Park Life

people who don't move up the middle of the carriage when it's packed at the ends and people still trying to get on.

also filed under 'shit things about the english' (and probably everyone else).

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That weird mix of Pride and Self Awareness.

That we pack so much variety into a comparatively small country.

That we're still at the forefront of music, culture, movies and a lot of sports

Our freedoms

Pasties

I've had a couple of pasties or here, (Cyprus), that have been on a par or better than back home. There's a spinach and feta one they do, (don't know it's local name), but it was the dogs nuts and was big enough to share with the missus for luncheon. (well maybe not for CT).

Really miss the Sunday papers.

You're passing time in Germany aren't you Parky ?

BBC are doing some German-themed progs this week. There was one on the car industry the other day which was pretty interesting and tonight Rick Stein did a foody angle gig.

From the fucking muck that was served up I can't say I envy that side of things .

I've had a couple of pasties or here, (Cyprus), that have been on a par or better than back home. There's a spinach and feta one they do, (don't know it's local name), but it was the dogs nuts and was big enough to share with the missus for luncheon. (well maybe not for CT).

Spanokapita (sp.) I think you mean. Made with filo pastry?

Not sure, Gem, on the name but it was filo pastry. Not to dissimilar to a cheese and onion pastie back home just better. Also got a kebab last night from a place we know from previous visits. Absolutely hammers any kebab you'll get back home. Changing the subject, the air conditioning spat out the biggest spider I've ever seen in any place I've stayed, was like a half sized tarantula. Thank Christ it was half battered by the AC unit already. :)

You're passing time in Germany aren't you Parky ?

BBC are doing some German-themed progs this week. There was one on the car industry the other day which was pretty interesting and tonight Rick Stein did a foody angle gig.

From the fucking muck that was served up I can't say I envy that side of things .

:lol:

Traditional German food is dire. I cook at home a lot and if we go out it's either Thai or Italian nosh. The kebabs here are much better mind. ;)

Edited by Park Life

It's the quality of the meat to an extent (not that "foreign" kebab meat is anything other than the usual mish-mash of lips and balls, but at least it's nicely spiced and vaguely resembles Actual Meat Product) - but more than that, it's the way the meat is cut. At some point in British immigrant history, it was decided that the best way to serve kebab meat was the long thin greasy sliver. The battle was already lost. :(

You couldn't do much worse than a kebab from this country to be honest. That shit is surely only edible to the inebriated.

HMHM definitely sounds like spanokapita. Canny easy to make by all accounts.

"Brattys" and "Bockys" - which, erm, OK then :lol: - are Bratwurst and Bockwurst, i.e. Teutonic sausage heaven. Jägerschnitzel is a Wiener schnitzel covered in creamy mushroom sauce. A bit like the sauce you get on chicken chasseur and things like that. It's good stuff, but it's also the kind of thing that makes every German man turn thoroughly portly by the age of 40 at the latest, so I can see why Parky avoids a steady diet of it.

What's German for "how's your kipper, sausage ?"

Direct translation officially impossible. Suggest "Schatzi, ist dein Würstchen zum Grillen gut?" as a viable, moderately camp alternative.

Kebabs tend to be better everywhere in the world. Even France does a better kebab and they don't do 'foreign food'.

Except in Finland, where they are absolutely shit.