The En-ger-land Thread

Christmas Tree

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair I think Belgium are just another horse now, so am expecting a spectacular failure....bit like when Pele and dozens of others tipped Colombia in 94 after a brilliant qualifying campaign but were fuckin hopeless at the finals :lol:

Am pleased for Bosnia-Herzogovina, first time theyve qulaified :good:

Pleased for Hodgson too, he's a good egg really and I've also seen his tadger in the toilets at Schipol Airport (ftao Stevie: nowt to be shy about our Roy ;) )

I'm not interested in Roy's cock :lol:

Spot on about Belgium though, they've got a load of really good individual players, but at the end of the day they're Belgium, and that's even worse than being England or Holland.

Here we go. ;) We've been here before Stevie. You'll be cursing yourself next year for daring to dream, when we drop out with a whimper.

I'm just pleased Hodgson is doing well.

I'm getting better, we were going to win in 2006 and 2010, ffs we were going to win in 2008 and we weren't even there. I don't think we'll win, I just think we could go to the last eight, there's not many outstanding international teams now.

Do England have any genuinely world class players? Obviously there's Rooney but given his general form over the last year I'm not sure he currently sits at that level.

Though it isn't necessarily a prerequisite for a successful team but it has been a long time since England have had a side that is greater than the sum of its parts.

Do England have any genuinely world class players? Obviously there's Rooney but given his general form over the last year I'm not sure he currently sits at that level.

Though it isn't necessarily a prerequisite for a successful team but it has been a long time since England have had a side that is greater than the sum of its parts.

Gerrard was world class, I think Ashley Cole is as good a left back as you can get in world football in a defensive sense. In my view player for player England in 2006 were better on paper than Italy, even Australia should've put them out, and definitely Greece in 2004. Football is a team game, maybe one of England's problems in the past is we've had top players, but been unable to mold it in to a top team.

I tell you one thing I don't understand about the World Cup next year, in 1994 it cos the yanks £30m to host it, yet it's costing these £14billion. That's 500 times more. I appreciate the yanks had the stadiums sorted, but the difference is mental.

Edited by McFaul

English players are over rated, over hyped and play under the weight of expectation and fear of reproducing another failure, as evidenced by the continual mental capitulation when faced with a penalty shoutout.

I'm optimistic but not confident that there will be less hype and less pressure on them than the (ahem) "golden generation" so they might surprise us by not conforming to type, but it's a fairly ordinary and inexperienced side. And they still don't keep the ball well enough to be considered a truly top side.

Credit to Hodgson. Nice to see 'Arry looking a tit - he may well have struggled to top the group.

I tell you one thing I don't understand about the World Cup next year, in 1994 it cos the yanks £30m to host it, yet it's costing these £14billion. That's 500 times more. I appreciate the yanks had the stadiums sorted, but the difference is mental.

That's 13 billion in FIFA bungs.

You got a source for the £30m figure? It seems incredibly low, even for 1994.

Edit: Unless you meant £300m which wouldn't be far off the mark.

Edited by ewerk

Whenever England play well peoples expectations are raised, but I'll give you a few stats, we've lost 2 games in 3 years (TWO), both friendlies. In that time we've played Brazil, Spain, Holland, Italy etc etc... I'm not saying we can win it, I think Germany are far better than we are for one, but there's only two sides head and shoulders better and no more than four who you can say are probably better.

When will you learn? :lol:

me="Tooj" post="1233687" timestamp="1381912352"]

When will you learn? :lol:

Well it's better than being a cynical miserable fucka, and at no point have I said we can win it, I think that's quite balanced by my standards.

I think there's quite a bit to enjoy about England at the moment. I've certainly drifted away from any real interest in England over the last 5 years but I've certainly enjoyed the last two matches.

We have a decent fella in charge who you can see is living every kick.

And a team with some old heads, some solid players and some very exciting young'uns.

No reason at all why we can't have an exciting tournament.

I think there's quite a bit to enjoy about England at the moment. I've certainly drifted away from any real interest in England over the last 5 years but I've certainly enjoyed the last two matches.

We have a decent fella in charge who you can see is living every kick.

And a team with some old heads, some solid players and some very exciting young'uns.

No reason at all why we can't have an exciting tournament.

if by exciting you mean scrape through the group then get knocked out on penalties in the next round or two, then sure - why not?