95% certainty that humans are the "dominant cause" of climate change

Happy Face

4 minutes ago, strawb said:

We aren’t fucked, all your kids are.

I hate to point out the obvious but knowing the average of this forum members, we are the ones that are truely fucked.

Twenty to thirty years time is when it will all start to turn to shite and the first to go in the apocalypse are the old.

No one is 60+ in Mad Max and there is a reason for that.

4 minutes ago, sammynb said:

I hate to point out the obvious but knowing the average of this forum members, we are the ones that are truely fucked.

Twenty to thirty years time is when it will all start to turn to shite and the first to go in the apocalypse are the old.

30 years from now I'll be 78 and will hopefully have had 18 years of retirement under my belt. I'll be ready for extinction by then. 

Also if it's bad for me in 30 years, you will have long since become a kettle chip. 

Edited by Gemmill

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

Also if it's bad for me in 30 years, you will have long since become a kettle chip. 

I'm not Robin Robin ffs!

I have the distinct advantage that I live in a country that stills grows produce and I can do more than work with spreadsheets, unlike some.

But TBH, once Trump gets back in and your Tories are returned to government next British election, the rock is going to go up in flames a lot quicker than 20-30 years from now.

Plus Putin, once he knows it's terminal will just launch everything Russia's got because he's the sort of cunt that doesn't want anyone to survive.

17 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Excuse me, I'm not stupid enough to have kids. All THEIR kids are fucked. 

Gemmill's lack of basic humanity knows no bounds.

image.png.50917b7319ff49e93bd1b9b3d2486c1e.png

• Haha 3

The dog will want to go out in a blaze of glory with his dad, heading the first nuke back to Putin or just walking up the street on our final walk, as we slowly catch fire and blow away as ashes 100m from the front door. 

The Roomba, I'll submit to an EMP whilst it's in standby mode. Just to spare it the horrors. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, sammynb said:

I'm not Robin Robin ffs!

I have the distinct advantage that I live in a country that stills grows produce and I can do more than work with spreadsheets, unlike some.

But TBH, once Trump gets back in and your Tories are returned to government next British election, the rock is going to go up in flames a lot quicker than 20-30 years from now.

Plus Putin, once he knows it's terminal will just launch everything Russia's got because he's the sort of cunt that doesn't want anyone to survive.

Don't bring me into this! 

I'll be gone in 20 🙂 

Although my dad is 95 🥺 

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

In all seriousness, we're fucked. If some knight in shining armour was going to come to the rescue, they'd have done it by now. More likely the billionaires fuck off and live in some luxury hotel spacestation and we all shrivel up and die in the heat/drown. 

The only knight in shining armour you're likely to see will be @Christmas Tree  enjoying his new hobby. 🙂 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, sammynb said:

I will be nearly 70 then, rather that than in my early 20s

21 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

I saw a graph last week that its the warmest temps the oceans have even been this year so far.  By quite a considerable amount.

Think the empirical evidence is at the upper end of the worst case scenario now. Problem is climate change appears to be a postive feedback system. Once the arctic tundra defrosts and releases several teratons of CO2 and methane the gig's well and truly up. Thirty years tops. Cup of tea anyone?

happy good vibes GIF by Great Big Story

Edited by Renton
  • Haha 3

Having just watched Only Connect, I now know we needn’t worry about climate change. 

If my maths is correct, and growth is consistent, within 20 years the entire planet will  be replaced by Victoria Coren’s tits. 

What a way to go. 

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, Renton said:

Think the empirical evidence is at the upper end of the worst case scenario now. Problem is climate change appears to be a postive feedback system. Once the arctic tundra defrosts and releases several teratons of CO2 and methane the gig's well and truly up. Thirty years tops. Cup of tea anyone?

It's not not just all that stored CO2, it's the billions of variants of bacteria and germs that our immune and ecosystems system haven't faced because they have been locked dormant since the last ice age.

Either way, it's not going to be pretty or quick, the first way of covid will seem like a slight sniffle.

18 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Having just watched Only Connect, I now know we needn’t worry about climate change. 

If my maths is correct, and growth is consistent, within 20 years the entire planet will  be replaced by Victoria Coren’s tits. 

What a way to go. 

Add in her arse and I have no worries whatsoever. 

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, sammynb said:

It's not not just all that stored CO2, it's the billions of variants of bacteria and germs that our immune and ecosystems system haven't faced because they have been locked dormant since the last ice age.

Either way, it's not going to be pretty or quick, the first way of covid will seem like a slight sniffle.

the thing art GIF by haydiroket (Mert Keskin)

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Here it is 

Screenshot_2024-02-09-20-23-26-39_1c337646f29875672b5a61192b9010f9.jpg

Yeah. Given the importance of sea temperature on the climate, that is terrifying. Several reasons. First, this is just unprecedented and extremely suddedn and unexpected. Second, the oceans contain the world's energy, they warm the air and make it humid, potentially causing catastrophic rain and storms. Third, the latent heat of water makes it slower to cool down and very hard to reverse. Finally, and what most people don't realise, is the effect isn't linear. For instance, if you imagine a normal curve (bell shaped) of storm by strength, let's say the 1% tail on the right side is extreme storms. But what happens with global warming is that the whole curve shifts to the right. Doesn't take much movement for 5% of storms to become extreme etc. 

Edited by Renton
  • Like 3

Isn’t there more energy stored in the first metre or so of the Ocean’s surface than in the entire atmosphere? There was a prediction last feb / march about extreme weather in Europe based on the Atlantic surface being about a degree or two warmer than normal. That turned out to be correct with the mental temperatures in the med. Yet you still have most people who think Just Stop Oil and the like are public enemy No. 1 for delaying their journey to work. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Alex said:

Isn’t there more energy stored in the first metre or so of the Ocean’s surface than in the entire atmosphere? There was a prediction last feb / march about extreme weather in Europe based on the Atlantic surface being about a degree or two warmer than normal. That turned out to be correct with the mental temperatures in the med. Yet you still have most people who think Just Stop Oil and the like are public enemy No. 1 for delaying their journey to work. 

I have read that.  Look at the weather we are having now in the UK alone.  People just think 'Oh its winter'  But its getting more extreme and unpredictable.

We need to stop thinking we are a mini version of the USA re cars.  We need a proper functioning mass transit system. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Renton said:

Thirty years tops

This is from Sabine Hoffender, she's a German physicist, Isegrim might know about her but I think she's like a German Brian Cox, but funnier. This isn't that funny though - she not only explains how much temperature will go up but what the consequences will be to western society. A few billion deaths and a century or more of regression.

Anyway, there is some research that suggest the upper estimates for climate change are going to happen, in fact higher than anything so far extrapolated. We've got 20 years before armageddon. 

Joe Biden Oops GIF by The Democrats