Excuses, excuses, excuses...

Scottish Mag

Graeme Souness believes long-term injuries to key players are starting to take their toll on Newcastle United.

The Magpies slumped to their ninth Premiership defeat of the season following a 1-0 loss to Fulham on Saturday.

Souness was without the likes of Michael Owen, Kieron Dyer, Emre and Scott Parker for the clash and the Scot wishes the quartet were still at his disposal.

"We realise the difficult situation we're in," he stated. "It's especially difficult when you're missing the players we're missing.

"We have long-term injuries to key players. We've got 10 out at this time."

Newcastle battled hard at Craven Cottage with only a late Steed Malbranque goal settling the contest, a strike Souness felt was hard on his side.

"I think it was hard on us. It was a scrappy affair in the first half," he added.

"We tried to put them under pressure and then they got their goal against the run of play.

"I felt in the second half we were better than Fulham. We're just missing the difference at this level."

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I felt it was hard on my players, who are the most honest group of players I've ever had. I'd go to war with them, they are proper men. Fulham were like a wounded animal, but we were the better side in the second half, it was a proper battle out there. Lady Luck wasn't shining on us today, on another day we would have won this, but we were missing our door-openers. We know the state we are in, we know there is pressure, but that's the price on the ticket here. With a bit more luck and a little help from the referee, the fans wouldn't have been singing those songs. But that's the price on the ticket here, it's a proper challenge and I have never shirked a fight in my whole life.

I felt it was hard on my players, who are the most honest group of players I've ever had. I'd go to war with them, they are proper men. Fulham were like a wounded animal, but we were the better side in the second half, it was a proper battle out there. Lady Luck wasn't shining on us today, on another day we would have won this, but we were missing our door-openers. We know the state we are in, we know there is pressure, but that's the price on the ticket here. With a bit more luck and a little help from the referee,  the fans wouldn't have been singing those songs. But that's the price on the ticket here, it's a proper challenge and I have never shirked a fight in my whole life.

79200[/snapback]

Where's that from?

I felt it was hard on my players, who are the most honest group of players I've ever had. I'd go to war with them, they are proper men. Fulham were like a wounded animal, but we were the better side in the second half, it was a proper battle out there. Lady Luck wasn't shining on us today, on another day we would have won this, but we were missing our door-openers. We know the state we are in, we know there is pressure, but that's the price on the ticket here. With a bit more luck and a little help from the referee,  the fans wouldn't have been singing those songs. But that's the price on the ticket here, it's a proper challenge and I have never shirked a fight in my whole life.

79200[/snapback]

You forgot Alan Shearer is a warrior, a knight, a caped crusader etc.

79200[/snapback]

You forgot Alan Shearer is a warrior, a knight, a caped crusader, a proper player etc.

79221[/snapback]

Graeme Souness believes long-term injuries to key players are starting to take their toll on Newcastle United.

"I felt in the second half we were better than Fulham. We're just missing the difference at this level."

79194[/snapback]

1) ONLY JUST FUCKING STARTING?????

2) YOU FUCKING WHAT GRAHAME? :yesB):P THAT MAKES ME FEEL SO MUCH BETTER YOU SAY WE AREN'T A TOP-LEVEL SIDE!!!

Argh.

Thing is though, injuries are taking their toll.  And we were the better side in the second half.  Excuses or just telling it like it is?

79295[/snapback]

That happening for a year and a half?? No chance.

The one thing he's done in his time here is proven himself a whinger.

Thing is though, injuries are taking their toll.  And we were the better side in the second half.  Excuses or just telling it like it is?

79295[/snapback]

79300[/snapback]

Eh? No, the injuries are taking their toll now and we were the better side yesterday. FACT.

79295[/snapback]

79300[/snapback]

Eh? No, the injuries are taking their toll now and we were the better side yesterday. FACT.

79301[/snapback]

well we had better give him more time then eh ?

79295[/snapback]

79300[/snapback]

79301[/snapback]

well we had better give him more time then eh ?

79302[/snapback]

You sure you want to?

79295[/snapback]

Would you not agree that the reason injuries are taking their toll is down to us having no strength in depth?

One man is to blame for this - Souness.

He has had a 50 million spending spree in which he has let go of more players than have been brought in to a squad in which in his own words he stated "Was not big enough".

That is telling it like it is... :yes

79295[/snapback]

Would you not agree that the reason injuries are taking their toll is down to us having no strength in depth?

One man is to blame for this - Souness.

He has had a 50 million spending spree in which he has let go of more players than have been brought in to a squad in which in his own words he stated "Was not big enough".

That is telling it like it is... :yes

79306[/snapback]

I totally agree with what you're saying. But I also think that any club in the Premiership would be suffering badly with an injury list as long as ours.

The thing is that of course injuries are taking their toll. But Souness can't cope with a situation like this. From the names Souness was still able to send out a good squad yesterday.

But the tactical ignorance of Souness is taking its toll, too. Again he attempted to frustrate the oposition in the first half with a ultra-negative 4-5-1 formation with Luque on the wing.

During the first half yesterday (when I was absolutel bored) I stumbled about a thread on a Blackburn forum...

http://www.brfcs.co.uk/mb/index.php?showtopic=5958

Edited by Isegrim

To be fair though we are only 4 starting 11 players down..other teams have suffered this.  Missing the likes of Moore, Bramble and Ameobi is no great loss IMO and just an excuse for the poor squad that the manager has left us with.

79315[/snapback]

When you're missing your first choice, missing your second choice as well is very important, I would have said. I'm not saying the squad isn't poor - I was saying before Robson left that the squad was nowhere near as people though it was.

Souness.
"My job is to get the best out of the players I am working with and I believe I am doing that."

:yes

79325[/snapback]

That statement defies belief!!!

And every game he comes out with the same boring, predictable shite, its like a broken record.

Why does he bother when he could just give the press a bit of paper that goes thus:

Injuries...ref...injuries...best team...injuries...luck...proper...team spirit...injuries...unlucky...proper...injuries...i'm a talentless twat who is killing this club...bad luck...ref...injuries

I may have added one thing in there he'd never say!

Souness.
"My job is to get the best out of the players I am working with and I believe I am doing that."

79325[/snapback]

And every game he comes out with the same boring, predictable shite, its like a broken record.

Why does he bother when he could just give the press a bit of paper that goes thus:

Injuries...ref...injuries...best team...injuries...luck...proper...team spirit...injuries...unlucky...proper...injuries...i'm a talentless twat who is killing this club...bad luck...ref...injuries

79379[/snapback]

Bad luck?

Souness.

79325[/snapback]

79379[/snapback]

Bad luck?

79381[/snapback]

Yes, thats the one he'd never say! B)

79295[/snapback]

The other side of the coin is that we were lucky to get in at half time 0-0.

Although you're right Gemmill, the second half performance warrented at least a draw. When things are against you these sort of things seem to happen.