Politics

Christmas Tree

9 minutes ago, ewerk said:

In my defence, I was at the significant disadvantage of sitting accountancy exams even though I have never worked a day as an accountant and had zero interest in it.

It didn’t stop Gemmill passing 

11 minutes ago, ewerk said:

In my defence, I was at the significant disadvantage of sitting accountancy exams even though I have never worked a day as an accountant and had zero interest in it.

I failed to get a second interview with Arthur Andersen because when the bloke asked "How do you think you'll cope with working full time and having to do exams", my response was "what exams are these?"

I didn't know what I was applying for, it was just the first thing that came into the careers centre at Uni.

I certainly had ZERO desire to be an accountant, but when PW offered me a job at the end of my second year I just accepted it so I didn't have to do any more interviews.

5 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

We're witnessing the moment when Renton flips right wing. He's trying to get us to say that immigrants are lazy.

We're witnesssing our GDP per capita falling by 1% per annum, which is never talked about. Now for the racist bit. When we had FoM in the EU, the large majority of immigrants were young productive people who worked and boosted our GDP. They then either settled here or went back to their respective countrues. Now we have few Europeans coming over (in fact net loss I think), and whoever is coming over is not boosting our GDP. That's clearly not a good thing imo, I'm interested in other viewpoints or whether I am missing something fundamental here. 

17 minutes ago, Renton said:

We're witnesssing our GDP per capita falling by 1% per annum, which is never talked about. Now for the racist bit. When we had FoM in the EU, the large majority of immigrants were young productive people who worked and boosted our GDP. They then either settled here or went back to their respective countrues. Now we have few Europeans coming over (in fact net loss I think), and whoever is coming over is not boosting our GDP. That's clearly not a good thing imo, I'm interested in other viewpoints or whether I am missing something fundamental here. 

They're not allowed to work? 

Just now, RobinRobin said:

They're not allowed to work? 

No, I'm not talking about small boats/refugees, which is comparatively negigible. This 672,000 figure is legal immigration, which the government now has full control over. A mixture of people coming for work, family of people coming for work, and students. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Renton said:

I suppose there's a causation vs. correlation thing insofar as those productive people under FoM were also working in an economy that could trade far more easily with the countries they came from. Today's migrants are entering a more restricted economy in the first place.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Renton said:

No, I'm not talking about small boats/refugees, which is comparatively negigible. This 672,000 figure is legal immigration, which the government now has full control over. A mixture of people coming for work, family of people coming for work, and students. 

Government's fucked it? 

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Thank fuck for Brexit.

A staggring graph, and all within the government's control. Yet the only thing they want to talk about is small boats and sending 200 people to Rwanda. This country is insane. 

My main takeaway from that graph is that we need to be having more pandemics. Lower immigration to keep the gammons happy, plus the gammons are disproportionately more likely to die. Everyone's a winner :good: 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

My main takeaway from that graph is that we need to be having more pandemics. Lower immigration to keep the gammons happy, plus the gammons are disproportionately more likely to die. Everyone's a winner :good: 

I'm on board, I miss government mandated exercise. Plus, more excuses not to see the sisters.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, ewerk said:

So the same as most trainee accountants then, ergo no disadvantage at all :lol:

I think I was a bit of an exception in that I'd worked in finance for a few years before I took my first exam. That said I still have zero interest in it despite being qualified a number of years and have nearly 15 years of experience.

I mean that I wasn't actually employed as an account. During my three years of training I never once saw a TB, never mind prepared an actual set of accounts. It was all a ploy by PWC to pay me a pittance while shipping me over to London at £150 ph.

1 hour ago, RobinRobin said:

Beautifully summed up here

🙂

Half inflation that went through the roof during the reign of and due to the decisions of the conservatives :lol:

"Yeah, we halved inflation"

Aye, that went up five fold during your parties control of parliament, because your daft cunt mate saw fit to give a bunch of fucking idiots a vote where leavers voted based on jingoism (at best), flat out racism (at worst), or because the alt-right convinced them that the EU was the NWO coming to steal the pound coin and butcher the royal family - all despite your party not having a plan in place in the event that those people outweighed those that weren't complete fucking morons. Also, your party's dog shit handling of the pandemic. Thanks for making the 12% inflation, 6% Rishi mate - Don't worry that that figure is still at least double what it had ever been in a decade prior.

Hope the cunt dies me. In a plane crash with Boris and the rest of the Tory party on the way to see an internment camp they built in Rwanda.

• Like 2

Actually, speaking of what a doss accounting appears to be, what's the training situation like for old farts looking for a new career direction? I'm weighing up my options for the fairly likely event of my job ceasing to exist in the not too distant future, and given that I've been translating IFRS and local GAAP financial reports for 20+ years and seem to be able to point out when the people preparing them have made obvious errors, I suppose it'd be a logical avenue to explore. Being officially mid-40s now, though, I'm concerned about old dogs/new tricks syndrome. Mind, that'd be the case for almost anything I do...

5 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I mean that I wasn't actually employed as an account. During my three years of training I never once saw a TB, never mind prepared an actual set of accounts. It was all a ploy by PWC to pay me a pittance while shipping me over to London at £150 ph.

You don't mean one of the big 4 would treat it's staff with contempt and underpay whilst overcharging it's clients, do you? I refuse to believe that a company as esteemed as PWC would ever do such a thing.

I love it when they send an audit manager out to meet you that isn't even qualified yet, who stares at you blankly as you talk about internal accounting policies for three hours, who then doesn't pass that info onto their team meaning I have to answer the same questions several times.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

Actually, speaking of what a doss accounting appears to be, what's the training situation like for old farts looking for a new career direction? I'm weighing up my options for the fairly likely event of my job ceasing to exist in the not too distant future, and given that I've been translating IFRS and local GAAP financial reports for 20+ years and seem to be able to point out when the people preparing them have made obvious errors, I suppose it'd be a logical avenue to explore. Being officially mid-40s now, though, I'm concerned about old dogs/new tricks syndrome. Mind, that'd be the case for almost anything I do...

You can try AAT. It's the level below the professional qualifications (CIMA, ACCA, ACA etc). I think it's been developed a lot since I studied it years and years ago, but it used to be that if you're already knowledgeable of the basics/intermediates you can skip the first level(s) to cut out a lot of wasted time.

I think it's available at most colleges these days, and there are plenty of distance learning options I think.

Or skip that and go straight to the cert level CIMA. This lot do a lot of free study materials (I think all their course books are available to read online for free): Free CIMA Certificate Level Courses - Get Started Now (astranti.com) and it's pretty cheap to buy the extras, I qualified through Astranti and it was infinitely cheaper than places like BPP and Kaplan (my company at the time still paid for it like)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Meenzer said:

If AI can replace a human translator then surely it can eplace a human calculator?

Just saying. :whistle: