Politics

Christmas Tree

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

Fucking hell, the Tories now want to bring back national service. Talk about grasping at straws.

Just been on the news. Mandatory national service? Preching to the converted loons at most, suicide note imo. 

• Like 2

The people they're appealing to are dying in their droves, and their last gasp attempt to save some seats in this SINGLE election, is to turn generations of future adults even further against them. 

It's like they're pissed. 

• Like 2

Actually, when you write it down, what's clear is that they must believe that this single election could be an extinction event for them. So saving as many seats as possible, no matter how crazy the offering required to do so, actually makes sense to them. 

9 hours ago, Renton said:

Just been on the news. Mandatory national service? Preching to the converted loons at most, suicide note imo. 

No doubt very popular amongst that older generation who weren’t old enough to have to do it 

• Like 2

I haven't and I'm inclined not to because being preached at by the Guardian is one of the surefire ways to guarantee that I don't vote Labour.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Anyone near national service age is now alienated if they weren't already, any parents or grandparents of that age group who might've voted for them will surely fuck them off as well.

Well done, Tories, well done.

Star Trek Applause GIF

Edited by Howmanheyman
  • Like 2

Clearly just desperation at this point. I bet this was never in the agenda but it’s going so badly they’re just making it up as they go along 

• Like 3

One mate with a 6th former doing A levels & one doing GCSEs 

Another mate with twin boys in 6th form at the local grammar school 

both fuckin TERRORISING their children this morning, I  suggested sending them this :D 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, PaddockLad said:

One mate with a 6th former doing A levels & one doing GCSEs 

Another mate with twin boys in 6th form at the local grammar school 

both fuckin TERRORISING their children this morning, I  suggested sending them this :D 

My youngest is 18. I think she's going to vote and it would've been labour. It'll be labour on steroids now and the joys of soshey meeds will mean their friends will do the same if they weren't going to bother voting originally.

• Haha 2

Gammon Overlord Farage says the national service idea is a joke. 

There goes those votes they hoped to steal back from Reform. 

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Decent article that. I actually come into contact with a lot of these people through work. My role, amongst other things, involves liaising with trade unions. The biggest one is split into 3 factions, all ‘leftist’ with the most moderate one still being pretty left wing. They’re fucking obsessed with stuff like Gaza, encouraging members to get involved with stuff that probably breeches the civil service code. I’m not against the right to protest etc m, as you know, but I do wonder where their priorities are. This particular union represents literally tens of thousands of members who are working on the national minimum wage. Surely if you get involved with things like this and politics more generally on the left then improving people’s lives and making them better off is way more important than anything else. Especially above things you can’t influence. To give another example, their latest campaign is about trying to get a four day week trialled. I’ve got no idea where this has even come from but they’ve got zero chance of bringing it about and people don’t even want it. The civil service must have about as good a set of flexible working arrangements as you can get. 
Then more broadly speaking you have cunts like Owen Jones trying to divert Labour votes to independents and greens. At this time with this fucking Tory government? Also being totally disingenuous because the fptp system just means it’s only helping more Tory MPs retain their seats. 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I bet it was a toss up between national service or the death penalty btw. 

The latter is probably coming later in the campaign. Wasn’t they’d talk a year or so ago they were going to bring it in purely to mean they’d no longer be signed up to the European Convention on Human Rights? 

• Like 3