Politics

Christmas Tree

In a way i know what Tutu's getting at in fairness to him, i worked my arse off to get where I am, i earn a good wage.

But If i wanted help with housing or whatever i'd be told to jog on, but i know people who have the same luxury items i have, live with someone and their wages together probably get to around mine... but because they had a kid they couldn't afford after a one nights stand they have a two bedroom house+other allowances i'd have absolutely no mission of getting.

With no irony at all i'll hear them/their mates talking about all this stuff and meeting up with each other+their mates kids who have also headed down the same road for lunch dates like they're outta the kardashians, banging on about buying some sort of hybrid super pram for £700 and when can they have another bairn, get more maternity leave etc etc.

Walking stereotypes sadly with the education/background they all come from, and i know we've had the argument on here about just because your on benefits doesn't mean you shouldn't have nice things/holidays, but when you're on benefits and are buying a 7year old a £600 ps4 which hooks to your hdtv and integrates with your Sky sports package, while bairn #2 is being watched on some video monitor from his pram that costs as much as some feckers run around car... claiming poverty and wanting housing benefits is an utter piss take.

And i don't think it's a stretch to say there is an absolute shed load of people in that sort of setup 

(i know there are plenty of people who do need the help and need more and i'm fine with it, but they + anyone else would receive it if we didn't have so many absolute chancers)

They get maternity leave from their job collecting benefits?

Managed decline..... Wonder where we've heard that before. ;)

It would be interesting in one of these dreary Guardian articles ever finished with "and this is how we put it right......"

If people take their political colours off, most stats change very little when measured over decades. It's a lot of tinkering around the edges.

We can do nothing about big business chasing low production costs. Not a thing.

What we can do as a country is what most of us HAVE to do during hard times which is reign the spending in, target resources better, do without some of the things we'd love to have etc etc

I have little time for those who paint this picture where everything could be rosy.

If you think it's just 'tinkering around the edges' then how come you're so partisan in your political allegiance and views (and yes, you are even if you're completely delusional about being neutral).

I think there's obvious differences between left and right philosophies, and yes, this has a real effect on our society. A clear example would be the GINI coefficient changing so markedly under Thatcher that Rayvin posted and you've chosen to ignore. I'd accept though that presently there is no real left wing alternative in this country. Which is a shame, because ultimately too much inequity is not good for anyone, including the rich.

Edited by Renton

There are a few in India - but there aren't the amount (percentage wise obviously as India has more people) of people comfortably well of ranging to obscenely rich as there are in the UK.

http://m.rediff.com/business/slide-show/slide-show-1-countries-with-most-millionaires/20130607.htm

15th in the world not a bad ranking. Still means lots.

It would be interesting in one of these dreary Guardian articles ever finished with "and this is how we put it right......"

How would you know if they do or not? By your own admission you never get to the end of anything you read. ;)

You prefer to paint the picture where everything already IS rosy.

:lol:

Not at all. I might even be classed as being below "the poverty line"??? Be interesting to have the full calculation and see where I am.

And I haven't once disputed the conditions of poor people, I just think the word is overused as most normal people do which is no doubt why most sensible put the word relative in front of it when talking about rich western countries.

If you think it's just 'tinkering around the edges' then how come you're so partisan in your political allegiance and views (and yes, you are even if you're completely delusional about being neutral).

I think there's obvious differences between left and right philosophies, and yes, this has a real effect on our society. A clear example would be the GINI coefficient changing so markedly under Thatcher that Rayvin posted and you've chosen to ignore. I'd accept though that presently there is no real left wing alternative in this country. Which is a shame, because ultimately too much inequity is not good for anyone, including the rich.

It's tinkering because all politics is middle ground, that's the point.

how come you're so partisan in your political allegiance and views (and yes, you are even if you're completely delusional about being neutral).

:lol:

You must ask me this question once a year and once a year I answer it. Bookmark it ;)

While I mostly prefer the Conservative approach, I understand that politics is about people and all parties at different times produce good people who push through good policies be they labour or conservative.

The coalition linking pensions to the retail price index is good.

The coalition rolling out free school meals for all infants is good.

The coalition taking the poorest workers in the country out of paying tax is good.

Gay marriage etc etc

Labour did lots of decent stuff under Blair.

I met a nice young lady the other week as she was having both of her 3 ft high gardens cut down and all the waste removed for free. This week the lawnmower which was given to her for free has been stolen off her front lawn because it was left there all weekend. This morning she was on the phone to the police explaining to them that they are not doing their job properly and asking where they were when he lawnmower went missing. The council are replacing her first free stolen lawn mower with a second free lawn mower. Will she treat this one any differently?

This is one of many stories I hear every week and do not have the time to tell.

Her house is kitted out like an oil barons palace.

I met a nice young lady the other week as she was having both of her 3 ft high gardens cut down and all the waste removed for free. This week the lawnmower which was given to her for free has been stolen off her front lawn because it was left there all weekend. This morning she was on the phone to the police explaining to them that they are not doing their job properly and asking where they were when he lawnmower went missing. The council are replacing her first free stolen lawn mower with a second free lawn mower. Will she treat this one any differently?

This is one of many stories I hear every week and do not have the time to tell.

Her house is kitted out like an oil barons palace.

Where did you meet this lovely lady?

Aye, right, this is a believable story, the council buying people multiple lawn mowers. What a crock of shit there is written on this thread with fuck all to back it up.

The benefits and tax credits people are entitled to are clearly published online in government web sites, no need for pointless anecdotes. I wouldn't want to live on them and really I bet no one on here would.

Also, CT thinks he may be classed as in poverty (needs to check). :lol:

The brass neck on him considering what he claimed his taxi earnings were (considerably more than an MP earns).