Politics

Christmas Tree

Two men and a woman (a "mystery blonde" no less …) stretch out their arms, a mobile phone clasped in their hands, and smile as they take a picture.

Sound familiar?

Oh come on … you must have done it … especially when you have been lucky enough to attend a special event?

The Olympics? The Queen's jubilee concert? The X-factor tour?

So surely we can handle Barack Obama, David Cameron and that woman (Helle Thorning-Schmidt - the Danish Prime Minister – for crying out loud!) taking a snap of themselves at the Nelson Mandela memorial?

Ermm no, apparently we can't.

"IDIOTIC!" screamed one front page, warning that the image had sparked "firestorm of criticism". (@toxicsayonara told her 54 followers that the world leaders had shown "zero class or decorum". Another zoomed in on a Michelle Obama looking "VERY unamused".)

Eh? What? You cannot be serious.

The only thing that picture made me feel was that for a moment they did not look like the THREE world leaders (did I mention, she is the Danish Prime Minister?) that they are. They looked human; excited; in awe of their surroundings.

And who wouldn't be? It was a memorial for the world's most loved and respected statesman. A political giant – who might himself have been amused to watch the US President and two prime ministers smile for the camera.

Go Ms Thorning-Schmidt for instigating the snap. (She is fantastically uninhibited. Earlier this year she was captured excitedly getting out of her car to introduce herself to the actress Sarah Jessica Parker and ask for an autograph.)

A Danish newspaper editor is amused by the British reaction. Maybe they are seeing it as a sense of humour failure?

The look on Michelle Obama's face is a peach.

And I think they look like 12 year old schoolboys with yheir first semi over a nice blonde with no regard for how much they look like cunts.

To be fair - I think CT is going through his ''WUM cunt'' stage, possibly brought on by a chemical imbalance bordering on bipolar - which he has admitted.

I don't think he could possibly be that stupid and be able to work a computer unaided.

they weren't at xfactor, or the olympics or a jubliee party, they were at a service for someone who had died

http://www.ctvnews.ca/photo-galleries/the-world-pays-tribute-to-modern-father-of-south-africa-1.1582437 how many of the pictures in that slideshow scream "fuck me party time, here lets take a selfie and break out the vuvuzelas"

It's funny how virtually most western papers, including the times, Guardian etc etc all see it as harmless at a joyous memorial yet a few on here align with The Scum newspaper.

Bit sad.

To be fair - I think CT is going through his ''WUM cunt'' stage, possibly brought on by a chemical imbalance bordering on bipolar - which he has admitted.

I don't think he could possibly be that stupid and be able to work a computer unaided.

Run along silly boy.

i wouldn't know i didn't buy a paper i seen it on the bbc news this morning and thought all by myself "fuck me that's inappropiate"

would you consider breaking out the camera at a funeral/memorial service for a smiling selfie regardless of who it was for? i'd treat a strangers with more respect let alone someone with mandelas stature frankly, and i'd like to think politicans with an armada of pr advisors and supposedly a bit of gumption would think "hmm possibly this isn't the best look for a world leader... maybe if Boris or Sarah Palin were to do it instead"

It's funny how as per normal most people see how it is and you have taken the other side of it, and it's tory related which is no shock either.

:CT:

Most people don't though, that's the issue.

Bbc, guardian, Washington post etc etc v's The Sun.

Most people don't though, that's the issue.

Bbc, guardian, Washington post etc etc v's The Sun.

Decent people vs cunts.

Have you ever been to a funeral or a memorial CT? - do you really think its okay to smile, laugh and otherwise act like a knob?

For once, I'm with CT here.

If the service had been held at a cathedral or more formal setting, then I could see the gripe.

It was in a football stadium, with the crowd dancing, cheering and booing.

Better things to get upset about.