Politics

Christmas Tree

1 hour ago, Rayvin said:

OK look, I just went and researched it myself - they're not specific individuals, and the artist claims to have depicted white and Jewish bankers as a criticism of the class system etc etc, but that it wasn't intended to be antisemitic. I rather suspect that it was intended to be antisemitic based on that comment, as I don't see the need to have 'white and jewish'. Why not just 'bankers'.

If there was a single Star of David on there, I would probably concede this point. But to me, they just looked like rich white men running the world and crushing the rest of us. Does it make me anti-semitic that I haven't assumed these men were Jewish?

I wasn't genuinely saying they were specific individuals btw. ;)

It's not an assumption that they're Jewish, several of them are Jewish caricatures.  A rather disproportionate number of the general population, though maybe a fair proportion of the banking community. :lol:   

8 hours ago, Rayvin said:

Ok i had no idea what was wrong with that at first. Wealthy white guys playing monopoly on the backs of the poor and minorities. Sounds about right and is totally standard fare for the current art scene.

• Haha 2

Just now, ewerk said:

Not a word from Corbyn at PMQs about collusion between the leave campaigns or the fact that No.10 outed the whistleblower.

Jesus, it's an open goal ffs :lol:

I think this section from the article I linked sums it up for me:

Now as I say, this whole business has been a nonsense. Even if there were genuine anti-Semitic content in the mural, so what? It was years ago, and it was very clear that Corbyn’s comment was not meant as a defence of anti-Semitism. Now, how is a passing comment that Corbyn made six years ago on a bit of bizarre artwork suddenly so important that it takes priority over the Local Elections, over Conservative laundering of Russian finance, over Tory and pro-Brexitgroups getting potentially-illegal help from Cambridge Analytica, the fantastic fraudulence of Jeremy Hunt’s untrue ‘pay-rise’ for NHS workers, the suspicious-looking miracle of only three people getting exposed to a lethal nerve agent in Salisbury and all of them so slightly that somehow none of them are dead almost a month later, the never-ending Brexit chaos, rampant child poverty… ? Good grief, I reckon even the ball-tampering scandal by the Australian Test Cricket team should rate as more of a priority than this!