Politics

Christmas Tree

The solution is obvious, let people claim asylum before passaging the channel. But there's no facility to do this. So instead they have to risk their lives and are deemed "illegal". It's ridiculous this is hardly ever discussed, at least Sarah Vine has a go here I suppose.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rayvin said:

How long until the next GE? It feels like we've had an eternity under Johnson now and while I did at one point believe he'd bottom out on lunacy and "populist" trash, I now suspect that what I think the basement level floor of human decency is, is already something he's looking upwards at.

The fixed term Parliament act was repealed so it could be sooner but it could be as far away as January 2025. 

11 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

His feeble arms couldn't carry her. 

Was waiting for something like that when I posted it. :lol: Couldn’t think of another removal firm though  

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, KingKev1984 said:

It has one of the highest standards of living in Africa 

Was wondering when the next one would turn up. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, The Fish said:

What? With his little arms?

That's twice in one day in this very thread that you've repeated someone else's joke.

Sort your fucking life out, mate.

• Haha 6

55 minutes ago, Alex said:

The fixed term Parliament act was repealed so it could be sooner but it could be as far away as January 2025. 

And to think that I was passionately opposed to this , as I felt it allowed the "ruling" party to pick the best time for them, based on public opinion. Seems in BJ's case, its the further away the better - but he's got a trail as long as the equator behind him of shit already - it's clearly his modus operandi to create a web of lies and say one thing and do another.

1 hour ago, Renton said:

The solution is obvious, let people claim asylum before passaging the channel. But there's no facility to do this. So instead they have to risk their lives and are deemed "illegal". It's ridiculous this is hardly ever discussed, at least Sarah Vine has a go here I suppose.

Well that's total bollocks on so many fronts. This "first safe country" is total bollocks not in the convention.  We are supposed to be working to take a fair share based on quota of refugees, not immigrants, not economic or social migrants, but refugees. 

The tories very cleverly started calling refugees - migrants, years ago and its stuck .

I personally think, if the country feels this way and we are going to act this way - then we need to be honest about it and leave the Geneva Convention for Refugees and own the shame that comes with that.

Being a member , and sending a message to the world that we are here to help genuine refugees, then not giving them any legal entry point other than "sling them back" (aussie term) - is just some kind of evil imo.

Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees - Wikipedia

Germany shames us AGAIN..  There's some surprising info in the countries that genuinelly do take "more than their fair share" and we arent one of them.

We do it all the time too, get involved in wars, or arm the aggressor (modern equivalent is Yemen, but Afghanistan 5 years ago is the same)  - then it takes refugees months to travel here and we turn them away after leafletting them to leave and that we will help. A large number of these refugees are a result of our economic, military policy, its a harsh truth , but it is a truth.

UNHCR - Refugee Statistics

Edited by scoobos
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, ewerk said:

That's twice in one day in this very thread that you've repeated someone else's joke.

I'm a busy man. I soar over most of these threads like an eagle, I'm only wasting my altitude if it's worth my time.

Which this wasn't.

take off fly GIF by BBC Earth

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

Comedy Dave Chegwin

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, scoobos said:

Well that's total bollocks on so many fronts. This "first safe country" is total bollocks not in the convention.  We are supposed to be working to take a fair share based on quota of refugees, not immigrants, not economic or social migrants, but refugees. 

The tories very cleverly started calling refugees - migrants, years ago and its stuck .

I personally think, if the country feels this way and we are going to act this way - then we need to be honest about it and leave the Geneva Convention for Refugees and own the shame that comes with that.

Being a member , and sending a message to the world that we are here to help genuine refugees, then not giving them any legal entry point other than "sling them back" (aussie term) - is just some kind of evil imo.

Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees - Wikipedia

Germany shames us AGAIN..  There's some surprising info in the countries that genuinelly do take "more than their fair share" and we arent one of them.

We do it all the time too, get involved in wars, or arm the aggressor (modern equivalent is Yemen, but Afghanistan 5 years ago is the same)  - then it takes refugees months to travel here and we turn them away after leafletting them to leave and that we will help. A large number of these refugees are a result of our economic, military policy, its a harsh truth , but it is a truth.

UNHCR - Refugee Statistics

Agree totally. Avoid listening to Johnson's speech today if you can for the sake of your sanity/blood pressure. The lies and hypocrisy are something else.  It's obvious the Rwanda bollocks isn't possible under the framework of the current international conventions. Which means he is either planning ultimately to take us out, or he is sabre rattling with a view to the next election, where he will again blame lefty lawyers (which he did repeatedly today). We're being gaslit to a very dangerous place. With the cost of living crisis in full swing, blame will shift more from the EU to immigrants and refugees as a handy scape goat. 

Edited by Renton
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

I'm a busy man. I soar over most of these threads like an eagle, I'm only wasting my altitude if it's worth my time.

Which this wasn't.

take off fly GIF by BBC Earth

GIF by joerocco

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Boris has 3 more fines coming apparently. And all for bigger transgressions than his last fine. We've also got Sue Gray's report to be published. Boris might not see the Summer yet 

Well, if he keeps up with these racist distraction stunts, he'll be opening a new  Auschwitz by the time the Sue Gray report comes out. 

Also, if he does get these other fines, I take it they will increase in cost because he's a repeat offender? There's students in Newcastle who got 10k fines. 

Edited by Renton
  • Thanks 1