Politics

Christmas Tree

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Christopher Hope is a fucking bellend. Everything he writes is in service to Boris Johnson. 

He needs to come back. He nerds to apologise to his MPs, his party and the country. And then he needs to whip his MPs to end the Privileges Committee inquiry and chuck out any that refuse. 

You fucking what mate?! 

No fear. Boris Johnson doesn't know the meaning of a 'sincere apology'. 

4 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I was talking to my Mum yesterday - soft Labour voter, definitely the kind of person that 'the right' Tory leader could win over. She was talking about how Starmer has no conviction, she doesn't think he stands for anything, and then goes on about how Ben Wallace should take over for the Tories and how good he'd be. - the only reason it seems she'd vote Labour at the moment is that the Tories are terrible. But that's the danger - they're two parties in one at the moment and each side has been able to point to the other for blame in order to keep people onside with them, right throughout the Brexit fiasco. My worry is the slate gets wiped clean for whoever comes in and then Starmer is suddenly under a spotlight again in terms of being boring etc.

He wasn't surging against the Tories until Boris started flatlining, Labour did nothing to make that shift happen other than staying the course and letting the Tories implode. If there's no more implosion, does that strategy still work?

The slate isn't going to be wiped clean man. Your mum is a sample of n=1. And maybe it will give Starmer a kick up the arse to up his game if the polls tighten. But he has a better chance against a fellow dull man than Johnson I'd say. 

5 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I was talking to my Mum yesterday - soft Labour voter, definitely the kind of person that 'the right' Tory leader could win over. She was talking about how Starmer has no conviction, she doesn't think he stands for anything, and then goes on about how Ben Wallace should take over for the Tories and how good he'd be. - the only reason it seems she'd vote Labour at the moment is that the Tories are terrible. But that's the danger - they're two parties in one at the moment and each side has been able to point to the other for blame in order to keep people onside with them, right throughout the Brexit fiasco. My worry is the slate gets wiped clean for whoever comes in and then Starmer is suddenly under a spotlight again in terms of being boring etc.

He wasn't surging against the Tories until Boris started flatlining, Labour did nothing to make that shift happen other than staying the course and letting the Tories implode. If there's no more implosion, does that strategy still work?

look at the polls and then spark up a fat one 

image.png.d791442b0b07caf369c76694101043e2.png

• Haha 1

There’s a bit of NUFC supporter syndrome to this. If the polls were anything like the opposite then we wouldn’t give an incumbent Labour government a hope. I accept people are morons and the Tories have the support of large swathes of the media. Hopefully whatever happens just further damages them. And I would have Johnson back in a heartbeat if I believe dozens of Tories would cross the chamber. Not sure they’d have the stones if it came to it though 

• Like 2

Just now, Alex said:

There’s a bit of NUFC supporter syndrome to this. If the polls were anything like the opposite then we wouldn’t give an incumbent Labour government a hope. I accept people are morons and the Tories have the support of large swathes of the media. Hopefully whatever happens just further damages them. And I would have Johnson back in a heartbeat if I believe dozens of Tories would cross the chamber. Not sure they’d have the stones if it came to it though 

Fair enough, but the Tories have been kicking our asses up and down the pitch for 12 years. I'm fully on the nuclear option with this now, whatever it takes.

• Like 1

The one thing Johnson has going for him that could sway Tory MPs is that if he comes back then he has some legitimacy when he claims that there will be no need for a GE as he won a mandate last time out.

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

Fair enough, but the Tories have been kicking our asses up and down the pitch for 12 years. I'm fully on the nuclear option with this now, whatever it takes.

It feels that way because of FPTP and the SNP, but it really isn't the case Labour have never been anywhere near the position the tories now find themselves in. 

Also, while I don’t deny Johnson has a charisma I can’t personally fathom, it’s massively overstated imo. Along with his being a ‘winner’. About 90% of his ‘huge mandate’ equates to Corbyn and people being sick of Brexit. 

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Ben Wallace has ruled himself out and seems to be about to endorse Johnson. :lol: 

There goes Mum's theory about him being any sort of decent person.

"mum"?!

Kill It With Fire GIF

• Like 1

Just now, The Fish said:

"mum"?!

Kill It With Fire GIF

I was raised to use her term for it :lol:  She's not a geordie - probably why she is occasionally tempted to vote for people like Ben Wallace tbh. She is right now telling me how virtuous it is of him to have recognised he is not able to take this role on, and to stand aside - and that his endorsement of Johnson is also understandable on the basis that Johnson supported him on defence and blah blah.

He's a cunt. They're all cunts.

36 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I suspect that was strategy, as Napoleon said "never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake".

Labour have shitloads of ammunition now out of the mouths of the Tories themselves, I think any run up to an election will be significantly different.

• Like 2

Just now, Toonpack said:

I suspect that was strategy, as Napoleon said "never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake".

Labour have shitloads of ammunition now out of the mouths of the Tories themselves, I think any run up to an election will be significantly different.

I have to admit, I did just catch this in the guardian which Labour should bookmark and revisit endlessly in the election campaign:

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Craig said:

Bet she knights Rees-Mong and makes the fat blob a dame.

JRM might decide he’s had enough fun in the Commons and follow in his father’s footsteps and become a Life Peer. That way he can dress up even more and work even less. 

• Like 2

They're openly bickering with one another about who the next leader should be ffs. And now the ERG are split and will meet at 10:30 on Monday to try and land on an agreed candidate. And this will pretty much decide whether Johnson gets to 100 or not - they either decide to go with Braverman who has no chance, or go with Johnson who has a very good chance. 

So the fucking sweaty nonces of the ERG are the potential kingmakers once again. 

30 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I was raised to use her term for it :lol:  She's not a geordie - probably why she is occasionally tempted to vote for people like Ben Wallace tbh. She is right now telling me how virtuous it is of him to have recognised he is not able to take this role on, and to stand aside - and that his endorsement of Johnson is also understandable on the basis that Johnson supported him on defence and blah blah.

He's a cunt. They're all cunts.

Mine insisted on us calling her mum, she also insisted on calling me David. How well is that working out for ya, Judy? Didn't think your darling boy would be such a stone cold rebel, did you? In your face! 

fail martial arts GIF

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

They're openly bickering with one another about who the next leader should be ffs. And now the ERG are split and will meet at 10:30 on Monday to try and land on an agreed candidate. And this will pretty much decide whether Johnson gets to 100 or not - they either decide to go with Braverman who has no chance, or go with Johnson who has a very good chance. 

So the fucking sweaty nonces of the ERG are the potential kingmakers once again. 

That's the ERG voting for oblivion or control. I mean come on. I'm fascinated that it's even a debate tbh, maybe Johnson is simply too much for some people's consciences.

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

Probably no surprise to anyone but obviously another reason why Johnson would be better for Labour than Sunak.

I'm not sure those numbers should reassure you of that. Although it does suggest the country isn't as enamoured currently as the BBC makes out.