Politics

Christmas Tree

11 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

First I've heard of this but the News Agents lot seem to think Sunak is now being advised by Cummins.

Surely the Superdry Gollum hasn’t inveigled himself back into power. Although it’s no more batshit crazy than everything else going on with this government I suppose. Also given he literally just torches things and fucks off he’s probably just what the Tory government in its death throes thinks it needs 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

What is the game for these cunts in charge?  Some of the decisions are fucking baffling.

Siphon off what they can before losing the next election. Put policies in place that’ll be difficult to reverse. Plus more gross incompetence 

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Rayvin said:

I support the principle behind it but it does sound unworkable.

really? i thought you were liberal

i would legalise all drugs. people are always going to smoke just as they're going to take other drugs. better that money goes to the exchequer rather than the black market

Smoking is a significant drain in the NHS though and we've fucked the country to the point where soon enough the people who have lung cancer because of it will need to be paying tens of thousands for treatment.

Better spare them now than bankrupt them later.

17 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

really? i thought you were liberal

i would legalise all drugs. people are always going to smoke just as they're going to take other drugs. better that money goes to the exchequer rather than the black market

If you asked me, say 5 years back I was well against drugs.  But having listened to a few podcasts, read some books, I think the only way to 'win the war on drugs' is to legalise it. This way, they tax it, they regulate it and its made safer. This gives resources back to the government, which has such a massive knock on effect.  

All you do with banning something is it pushes it 'underground' and look what happened with prohibition in the US.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Smoking is a significant drain in the NHS though and we've fucked the country to the point where soon enough the people who have lung cancer because of it will need to be paying tens of thousands for treatment.

Better spare them now than bankrupt them later.

More of a drain if you flood the black market with tabs no one pays duty on too though. I agree with it in principle too but tend to also think it’s unworkable 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

If you asked me, say 5 years back I was well against drugs.  But having listened to a few podcasts, read some books, I think the only way to 'win the war on drugs' is to legalise it. This way, they tax it, they regulate it and its made safer. This gives resources back to the government, which has such a massive knock on effect.  

All you do with banning something is it pushes it 'underground' and look what happened with prohibition in the US.

Prohibition has never worked. The problem with the debate is lumping all legal and illegal drugs together. There’s very little nuance 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Alex said:

Prohibition has never worked. The problem with the debate is lumping all legal and illegal drugs together. There’s very little nuance 

One book I read (i'll ref it later when I get home and check it), states that the UK had one of the lowest Heroin usages in Europe in the mid 70s.  This was due to it's classification and the lack of hard stance on it and other stuff.  Then the US basically forced us to have a 'war on drugs' because its how their economy works, being in a perpetual state of war on something.  We owed them from WW2 still and basically had no choice but to join in.  Now we have places like Glasgow that have the highest death rate in Europe from heroin.  Obvs there's other factors involved like.

The UK is also the largest grower of LEGAL heroin in the world which the government doesn't like to shout about.  We are also the largest exporter of cannabis, illegally, in Europe.

• Like 1

I know it’s fiction but the Sherlock Holmes novels casually mention his injecting cocaine and heroin when he’s bored due to not working on an investigation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex said:

I know it’s fiction but the Sherlock Holmes novels casually mention his injecting cocaine and heroin when he’s bored due to not working on an investigation. 

Isn't a major part of his character that he has a major opium addiction? That said I think huffing the old poppy seeds was as common as having a few pints back in Victorian Britain. Us commoners steal everything from the posh wankers - smack, toot, designer clothes and gout.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dazzler said:

Isn't a major part of his character that he has a major opium addiction? That said I think huffing the old poppy seeds was as common as having a few pints back in Victorian Britain. Us commoners steal everything from the posh wankers - smack, toot, designer clothes and gout.

There’s loads of short stories, which I’ve read a fair few of plus the four novels I think (by Conan-Doyle anyway) but I think he only uses drugs when he’s not got the mental stimulation of a case to solve. But aye, opium use was fairly common place I think 

Edited by Alex