Politics

Christmas Tree

56 minutes ago, Renton said:

Latest electoral calculus has Labour at 99% chance of winning a majority. Christ, this is with Starmer, imagine what Blair would have done?

image.thumb.png.e42c85ddc33d4dea7a1b1b82422d0285.png

Do some headers with Keegan and commit war crimes. I don't think he's changed that much tbh :lol:

• Haha 3

So the question I have here, is that given Labour doesn't need a 236 seat majority to form a government, how much more left wing and progressive could they be while still having a majority? I'd rather they had a few more useful policies than 200 seats they don't need.

Anyway clearly my vote isn't going to be missed :lol: 

52 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

So the question I have here, is that given Labour doesn't need a 236 seat majority to form a government, how much more left wing and progressive could they be while still having a majority? I'd rather they had a few more useful policies than 200 seats they don't need.

Anyway clearly my vote isn't going to be missed :lol: 

It’s depressing, mate. But strategically, why would you do anything different? I’m not advocating/justifying it. And I agree with you. But the strategists close to Starmer will be telling him to sit on his hands. I think a lot of these types (whilst preferable to those who’ve worked for the current lot) just see winning the election with a huge majority as success. That’s it 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Renton said:

Latest electoral calculus has Labour at 99% chance of winning a majority. Christ, this is with Starmer, imagine what Blair would have done?

image.thumb.png.e42c85ddc33d4dea7a1b1b82422d0285.png

Not much different. It’s all about the government and their shitshow. I do follow that site a bit. And while it’s not quite the level of the Truss / Kwarteng nadir for the Tories, that’s a worse showing than the collated polls for the previous month. Barring something incredible it’s an absolute done deal. I’d personally like a pact with the Lib Dems that almost wipes the shitehawks off the map. But I think they’re too far apart on PR. 

Edited by Alex

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

It’s depressing, mate. But strategically, why would you do anything different? I’m not advocating/justifying it. And I agree with you. But the strategists close to Starmer will be telling him to sit on his hands. I think a lot of these types (whilst preferable to those who’ve worked for the current lot) just see winning the election with a huge majority as success. That’s it 

I think they could push their advantage here, they could be proposing some really strong stuff and still get a landslide IMO. But they're so traumatised by recent history that apparently we're going to get the safest of safe.

I would do it differently yes but then I'm not a politician.

• Like 2

Just now, Rayvin said:

I think they could push their advantage here, they could be proposing some really strong stuff and still get a landslide IMO. But they're so traumatised by recent history that apparently we're going to get the safest of safe.

I would do it differently yes but then I'm not a politician.

I think you’re spot on. It feels like a lot longer with everything that has happened. But really it’s only the last election where they suffered a chastening defeat. They’ll also recall how Corbyn (I’m not trying to reopen that debate) wouldn’t play the game in terms of saying the right things and the press ripped into him with devastating effect. So they’re being very cautious. I wouldn’t want them to be complacent but I also feel it’s an opportunity that’s being missed. You can’t really see them becoming more brave once they’re in

• Like 1

We’ve gone so far to the right that a pack of centrists will feel like Che Guevara has strolled in to Downing St. 

I’ll be happy with a PM that doesn’t make my fucking skin crawl , to start with. 

• Like 4

Reeves is the problem for me. I think Starmer does have some decent leanings on a few things despite being willing to deny it to ensure power but he's put all his faith in someone as chancellor who I've never heard or read say  anything remotely in line with public investment or anything else "Labour". 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, NJS said:

Reeves is the problem for me. I think Starmer does have some decent leanings on a few things despite being willing to deny it to ensure power but he's put all his faith in someone as chancellor who I've never heard or read say  anything remotely in line with public investment or anything else "Labour". 

As with Starmer I’ve no idea what Reeves actually believes in as she’s given us no indication. As far as I can see Labour have identified three areas where they are weak from the last 15 years: the EU, the economy and being too revolutionary. They have chosen a path of being as deliberately bland and inoffensive. They can’t announce any major spending plans as the first question will be ‘where is the money coming from?’ and because of the reasons just mentioned they can’t say tax rises or borrowing.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Isn’t Doreen Norris a published fiction author? 

Aye but it's only erotic fan fiction about Bojo blowing his balls on her face.