Politics

Christmas Tree

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Biden can’t, and won’t, call for a ceasefire.

What he can do is call for restraint. But I don’t see him doing this unless Israel pulls some mad Syrian/Russian style war crimes and levels the place entirely or drops chemical weapons or some shit. 

Fair enough, then Biden and I have no issue.

I implore everyone to listen to this episode of the newsagents from around 20:50 in.

Lewis G presents a good flavour of how informed people on the pro Palestine marches are.

from his privileged position in the “Jewish media” 

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-news-agents/id1640878689?i=1000634797809

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Biden can’t, and won’t, call for a ceasefire.

What he can do is call for restraint. But I don’t see him doing this unless Israel pulls some mad Syrian/Russian style war crimes and levels the place entirely or drops chemical weapons or some shit. 

He's repeatedly asked for restraint. And the US did not block the latest UN resolution. 

https://apnews.com/article/israel-hamas-un-security-council-humanitarian-gaza-7b6d3057f0f754160bd9dbd9d5a88a0a

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

He's repeatedly asked for restraint. And the US did not block the latest UN resolution. 

https://apnews.com/article/israel-hamas-un-security-council-humanitarian-gaza-7b6d3057f0f754160bd9dbd9d5a88a0a

I meant he won’t do anything to force Israel’s hand unless Israel turns Gaza into Aleppo. Or starts dropping chemical weapons 

This lot man, fucking scum. Country is on its knees, record taxation, high inflation, public services beyond fucked. Yet Hunt thinks a tax cut for the richest 4% is needed.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/nov/17/jeremy-hunt-weighing-up-inheritance-tax-cut-autumn-statement

Think I reas that would benefit Sunak's children some £300,000,000. What I want to know, is WHY THE FUCK would any normal person be in favour of cutting inheritance tax so this is a vote winner. Not only is it, imo, the most fair tax (as you have done nothing to earn it), it is one of the few levers to stop wealth trickling upwards generationally. Yet somehow, the British thick as fuck public has been brainwashed to think we should scrap it, even though it will not beneift them at all. 

Funny old World. 

• Like 2

I get this, but I think its more the misplaced notion its the dead person being unfairly taxed twice. Which is transparently bull shit, because:

1) Dead people are dead, they don't pay taxes. Its the inheritor.

2) Everything in life is double, triple, or quadruple taxed. My salalry is taxed and NIed. I but virtually anything and I buy or use I pay VAT and/or duty, etc.

Surely to fuck if it were explained to them most people would prefer less tax on their PAYE? 

Edited by Renton

Most people being left something from a dead relative wouldn't pay tax anyway as the house and/or saving will fall below the £325k threshold. It's only people with a bucket load of dosh that benefit, but the average British voter are far too mentally deficient to realise that. 

"Hey you there, common scum. Would you like to pay less inheritance tax when your grandma kicks the bucket?"

"Who me? Who comes from an entire family of people on low income jobs, who live in social housing, and who own absolutely fuck all, and have absolutely no savings because the cost of living is so ridiculous we're all living hand to mouth? Why yes we would like to pay less inheritance tax?"

"Excellent. Vote Tory."

"Will do"

• Like 4

Often £650k if the bequeathers* are married, too, since the spouse who dies first can pass on their inheritance tax allowance to the living partner.

I'm aware that the insane house price inflation in this country over the last 15 years means a lot of people with quite ordinary houses, especially in the south-east, will now find their estates exceeding this amount when they die - but it's not like you're taxed on the full amount, just the excess above the threshold, so ffs, really.

*bequestors? bequest-givers? :dunno: 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

Most people being left something from a dead relative wouldn't pay tax anyway as the house and/or saving will fall below the £325k threshold. It's only people with a bucket load of dosh that benefit, but the average British voter are far too mentally deficient to realise that. 

"Hey you there, common scum. Would you like to pay less inheritance tax when your grandma kicks the bucket?"

"Who me? Who comes from an entire family of people on low income jobs, who live in social housing, and who own absolutely fuck all, and have absolutely no savings because the cost of living is so ridiculous we're all living hand to mouth? Why yes we would like to pay less inheritance tax?"

"Excellent. Vote Tory."

"Will do"

Wifes uncle had two cousins.  They didn't have any kids.  First cousin died, left his estate to his brother. Cash, land, property all came to about £1.9m.  My wife tried speaking to her uncle about it.  Shes a financial planner.  Trying to help them out.  nah, didn't want to know.  Other brother snuffed it earlier this year.  He's left similar amount on top of that of his brother to her uncle.  Imagine the tax that fucker will pay :lol: 

I'm glad my parents had fuck all when they went and enjoyed themselves when they were alive. 

1 hour ago, Renton said:

This lot man, fucking scum. Country is on its knees, record taxation, high inflation, public services beyond fucked. Yet Hunt thinks a tax cut for the richest 4% is needed.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/nov/17/jeremy-hunt-weighing-up-inheritance-tax-cut-autumn-statement

Think I reas that would benefit Sunak's children some £300,000,000. What I want to know, is WHY THE FUCK would any normal person be in favour of cutting inheritance tax so this is a vote winner. Not only is it, imo, the most fair tax (as you have done nothing to earn it), it is one of the few levers to stop wealth trickling upwards generationally. Yet somehow, the British thick as fuck public has been brainwashed to think we should scrap it, even though it will not beneift them at all. 

Funny old World. 

I don't think public do think it's a good idea do they? I suspect we'll see some polling on it over the coming days. This lot don't care anymore - they're not doing this as a vote winner, it's just the last opportunity they'll have in a while to enrich themselves and their friends.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I don't think public do think it's a good idea do they? I suspect we'll see some polling on it over the coming days. This lot don't care anymore - they're not doing this as a vote winner, it's just the last opportunity they'll have in a while to enrich themselves and their friends.

It's consistently viewed as the least popular tax iirc. Hey, what do you think about this tax you'll probably never pay compared to this tax on your salary, your food, your energy, the plumber you just used, etc. 

Another example where Labour have to be brave and frame this correctly, rather than shuffle in their shoes mumbling and say they'll keep this policy. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spongebob toonpants said:

People are idiots

They are but the tax system and also anything to do with finances / investment/ borrowing is overly complicated. And that’s not for the benefit of the general public either 

• Like 2

Guardian posted a link to this PDF from IPSOS which, as I've been saying for years now, is why the tories are utterly fucked whatever thry do now  (aka it's the economy stupid). I'm printing this and putting it in a plastic folder:

https://www.ipsos.com/sites/default/files/ct/news/documents/2023-11/Ipsos Nov 2023 Political Monitor Charts_171123_PUBLIC.pdf

2 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

How dare you , sir! 

Bootlicking our “superiors” is a fine British tradition. 
Do you hate Britain? 

IMG_1834.thumb.jpeg.7d52eefb32da1e99db4225dbd3811657.jpeg

The absolute state of that cunt 

• Haha 1