Politics

Christmas Tree

1 hour ago, Renton said:

The timing from Ursula von der Leyen isn't helpful given the sensitivities. If they'd left it til after the GE I think it would have been adopted. I agree it's the type of policy that we need to enact to start healing the damage caused by Brexit. And an economic no brainer. Hopefully there will be more to follow after we get rid of these shit bags. 

And btw, let's not forget Corbyn's part in this. 

You're blaming Corbyn for Labour rejecting this, we are through the looking glass here

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Renton said:

The timing from Ursula von der Leyen isn't helpful given the sensitivities. If they'd left it til after the GE I think it would have been adopted. I agree it's the type of policy that we need to enact to start healing the damage caused by Brexit. And an economic no brainer. Hopefully there will be more to follow after we get rid of these shit bags. 

And btw, let's not forget Corbyn's part in this. 

And of course, the genocide 

27 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

You're blaming Corbyn for Labour rejecting this, we are through the looking glass here

No. Corbyn is irrelevant now. I'm pointing out that Corbyn helped us get here in the first place, he helped  facilitate Brexit. Aimed at those who won't now vote for Starmer because of his current Brexit stance (which I personally think is a facade) but happily voted for Corbyn, an actual Brexiter (behind a facade). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

Well he can bloody well bugger off and live there then. Oh, shit! No, he can’t 

• Haha 7

38 minutes ago, Alex said:

Well he can bloody well bugger off and live there then. Oh, shit! No, he can’t 

Funny as this is, it's Brexit in a nutshell.

• Like 4

Must admit like, between us still having January’s weather while we’re deep into April and the absolute collapse of the country as a whole, fucking off to the first decent country that will have me is looking mightily appealing 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Must admit like, between us still having January’s weather while we’re deep into April and the absolute collapse of the country as a whole, fucking off to the first decent country that will have me is looking mightily appealing 

Rwanda's nice with plenty of new accommodation, I hear. 🙂 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

Rwanda's nice with plenty of new accommodation, I hear. 🙂 

Could you not put him up in NZ? 

• Haha 2

On 19/04/2024 at 23:30, Renton said:

No. Corbyn is irrelevant now. I'm pointing out that Corbyn helped us get here in the first place, he helped  facilitate Brexit. Aimed at those who won't now vote for Starmer because of his current Brexit stance (which I personally think is a facade) but happily voted for Corbyn, an actual Brexiter (behind a facade). 

I resigned party membership once Corbyn's Labour took a second referendum off their manifesto, and only went back when they took it forward as a policy again in the 2019 election.

I was fucking consistent on this believe it or not.

3 hours ago, Rayvin said:

I resigned party membership once Corbyn's Labour took a second referendum off their manifesto, and only went back when they took it forward as a policy again in the 2019 election.

I was fucking consistent on this believe it or not.

Fair enough. 

Can I just ask a purely pragmatic question? If Labour were pro rejoining, and won at the GE, do you think we could simply rejoin?

Im sure you know I am as pro-EU as they come - if you look back into deep history on here you'll see I was positive about the EU long before UKIP even existed. I had the EU flag as part of my profile. But I recognise its gone for 10, more likely 20 or 30 more years. The EU will not countenance us rejoining until the eurosceptic movement is utterly vanquished. May well not happen in my lifetime. 

But closer alignment with the EU is definitely going to happen under Labour, the process of reconciliation will begin the day after the GE. Apart from anything else, it's the lowest hanging economic fruit available. But it's not a manifesto issue for this GE for any party, including reform and the LDs. So basing your vote on it makes little sense to me. Being pragmatic again, Labour is simply your best option and on this issue you have no representation. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

Fair enough. 

Can I just ask a purely pragmatic question? If Labour were pro rejoining, and won at the GE, do you think we could simply rejoin?

Im sure you know I am as pro-EU as they come - if you look back into deep history on here you'll see I was positive about the EU long before UKIP even existed. I had the EU flag as part of my profile. But I recognise its gone for 10, more likely 20 or 30 more years. The EU will not countenance us rejoining until the eurosceptic movement is utterly vanquished. May well not happen in my lifetime. 

But closer alignment with the EU is definitely going to happen under Labour, the process of reconciliation will begin the day after the GE. Apart from anything else, it's the lowest hanging economic fruit available. But it's not a manifesto issue for this GE for any party, including reform and the LDs. So basing your vote on it makes little sense to me. Being pragmatic again, Labour is simply your best option and on this issue you have no representation. 

My point is that someone needs to be flying the flag for rejoining and holding back their vote on this basis. No issue is as important to me as this one, and I won't endorse any party that doesn't support rejoining. Even if rejoining took years, I'd vote for a party with the balls to tell the truth on the need to go back.

My plan is to spoil my ballot remember, I don't need any of them to endorse my view. My view is meaningless to them, but while that remains the case, they are meaningless to me.

5 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

I find myself in an unusual situation - agreeing with Julie Burchill

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-met-doesnt-care-about-anti-semitism/

It was one copper who was trying to keep the peace and inadvertently said something stupid. I've seen people calling for the chief of Met police to resign over this ffs. The bloke wasn't just crossing the road. He was stood in a yarmulke, flanked by a security guard in the middle of a Palestinian protest. 

And that article is a shit show btw. The first paragraph suggests left wing luvvies are marching in support of Hamas. Are they fuck. They're marching in support of 45k dead Palestinians.

Edited by Kid Dynamite
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Renton said:

Fair enough. 

They won't countenance closer alignment with the EU as long as their focus groups of cunts tell them they don't want it. 

11 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

It was one copper who was trying to keep the peace and inadvertently said something stupid. I've seen people calling for the chief of Met police to resign over this ffs. The bloke wasn't just crossing the road. He was stood in a yarmulke, flanked by a security guard in the middle of a Palestinian protest. 

And that article is a shit show btw. The first paragraph suggests left wing luvvies are marching in support of Hamas. Are they fuck. They're marching in support of 45k dead Palestinians.

I’m sure lots of people are marching in support of innocent civilians and those marching in solidarity with terrorists aren’t the majority.

However, the article is entirely accurate on many levels. You don’t have to spend long looking at the footage from the marches to find images of people waving Hamas and hezbollah flags, or carrying flags with swastikas on them ffs. Or to see clips of people chanting “intafada” or “from the river to sea” - which call for violent revolution and the destruction of the state of of Israel respectively. 

None of this is apparently unacceptable but it is a crime to be “openly Jewish” - can’t you see how appalling that is? 

Edited by Dr Gloom

She’s preaching to the choir somewhat in The Spectator though. And while I agree with the points in the latter half she undermines her own argument (and will cause many people to dismiss it) by being wilfully disingenuous at the beginning. The anecdotes about her life of having to defend herself for not being Jewish but caring about antisemitism smacks of bullshit too. And bringing JK Rowling into is her trying to be controversial for the sake of it. Which also diminishes her point imo. But that’s what she’s about. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rayvin said:

My point is that someone needs to be flying the flag for rejoining and holding back their vote on this basis. No issue is as important to me as this one, and I won't endorse any party that doesn't support rejoining. Even if rejoining took years, I'd vote for a party with the balls to tell the truth on the need to go back.

My plan is to spoil my ballot remember, I don't need any of them to endorse my view. My view is meaningless to them, but while that remains the case, they are meaningless to me.

I wholeheartedly agree about rejoining. But it just isn’t politically possible in this election cycle. I can see how you must feel politically homeless however as every major party has come to this conclusion, other than the SNP. 

I agree with Renton too though. As soon as they win power Labour will start unilaterally aligning regulation in certain key areas - whether it’s cars, chemicals, food and drink etc. 

But it’s not as simple as just rejoining. The EU wouldn’t have us back anytime soon. We have to prove to them that the headbangers aren’t in charge anymore. And that’s going to talk time and patience 

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

I wholeheartedly agree about rejoining. But it just isn’t politically possible in this election cycle. I can see how you must feel politically homeless however as every major party has come to this conclusion, other than the SNP. 

I agree with Renton too though. As soon as they win power Labour will start unilaterally aligning regulation in certain key areas - whether it’s cars, chemicals, food and drink etc. 

But it’s not as simple as just rejoining. The EU wouldn’t have us back anytime soon. We have to prove to them that the headbangers aren’t in charge anymore. And that’s going to talk time and patience 

Honestly I do feel like you think I'm a simpleton in all of this and that I think we can just flick a switch and go back to how things were. I reckon we're 20 or 30 years off rejoining if we ever do.

That's not going to change my voting choices though. This country is beyond saving until we go back to it, and so I won't pretend that any meaningful change can come about otherwise. You have faith that Labour can rearrange some deckchairs as the ship sinks and that this will change something for the better, but I don't. So I would argue that there is simply nothing for me to vote for that I believe in. Not after all of Labour's lies and all the principles they've trampled to win.

Labour is getting nothing from me until they demonstrate that they are worth me giving them my vote on the basis of the things I care about. They consistently give me the finger with everything they say on this, so that's what I'm giving them back.