Politics

Christmas Tree

6 minutes ago, Renton said:

Of course he can, and will. The policy is inhumane, ruinously expensive, will have zero efficacy, and is just totally batshit. 

I read it would be cheaper to send them to a 5* London hotel.  Its fucking heartbreaking.

Also isn't it just 1% of applicants are going to be sent to Rawanda too?  

Easy win for Starmer. 

Just compare the number of boat crossings between the policy going live and the election with the same period last year. It will likely be higher, so he can admonish the Tories for their failed policy and a colossal waste of taxpayers money 

18 minutes ago, NJS said:

Labour policy is to use the money to deport more asylum seekers just not to Rwanda. 

Is it? I thought the plan was to crack down more on criminal smugglers, processcalims much faster so the asylum status can be established, and work with thrid countries such as France to establish ways asylum seekers can make claims without risking the cross channel dinghy route. 

But if you're suggesting they are somehow going to deport asylum seekers without fair assessment, then please provide a reputable link. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Renton said:

Is it? I thought the plan was to crack down more on criminal smugglers, processcalims much faster so the asylum status can be established, and work with thrid countries such as France to establish ways asylum seekers can make claims without risking the cross channel dinghy route. 

But if you're suggesting they are somehow going to deport asylum seekers without fair assessment, then please provide a reputable link. 

If you want to stop the boats starting with the smuggling gangs is the right thing to do 

I really don’t think the tories want to stop them… suggesting that Labour would be worse on this issue is all they’ve got so sorting the issue isn’t in their interests 

• Like 1

Possible ignorance here, but before the Tories started kicking off about this particular issue I assume it was already a thing. Like it didn't just start happening suddenly once the immediate devastation of Brexit was complete.

So before Rwanda and so on, what were we doing about it? And is it actually an issue, or just a more Tory nonsense?

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Regarding the Gideon Falter story, I think the newsagents nailed it as usual. Second half of last nights podcast.

https://www.globalplayer.com/podcasts/episodes/7DriN4T/

I did too, until they tried to link what he did to the mayoral elections - like Falter is some kind of pawn for the right, to undermine Kahn, for the likes of Suella Braverman to exploit. 

Antisemitism isn't a right-left issue, or at least it shouldn't be. It should be treated just as racism or islamophobia is, and yet it feels to a lot of Jewish people like it isn't held to such a high standard, particularly among the progressive left.

All you have to do is look at the comments on Twitter or in the YouTube videos, where I've lost count of the amount of times I've seen people call Falter out for being a typical Jew, always playing the victim. I mean, ffs!

Or to look at some of the things that have been chanted in the marches, or the terrorist flags, or antisemitic signs on display  - without any police intervention or threat of arrest - to see why jewish people are anxious to make this point. I would like to attend these marches to call for a ceasefire too, but I doubt many people there would appreciate it if I chanted for the release of the hostages at the same time. I'd probably get shouted down as "zionist scum". 

The situation Falter presented was massively contrived. It's obvious that he was out to make a point when he turned up with his camera and bodyguards. I think he still made his point, whatever you think about his intentions. 

Depressingly, our few allies at the moment are generally appalling people that you wouldn't want to be associated with. I can't tell you how miserable that it is, as a progressive lefty myself, that it's only right wing nutters or nationalists who seem to have our back. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

12 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Possible ignorance here, but before the Tories started kicking off about this particular issue I assume it was already a thing. Like it didn't just start happening suddenly once the immediate devastation of Brexit was complete.

So before Rwanda and so on, what were we doing about it? And is it actually an issue, or just a more Tory nonsense?

Small boats are relatively new. Prior to this people were smuggled on lorries etc but this has now been effectively stopped, hence people taking more desperate measures.  

It's an issue, but 97% of immigration is legal and directly under our control, so not much of an issue really. I guess if you live in Kent it probably is a real concern though. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

The situation Falter presented was massively contrived. It's obvious that he was out to make a point when he turned up with his camera and bodyguards. I think he still made his point, whatever you think about his intentions.

It was contrived, but he didn't present it this way. And he facilitated a shit storm cluminating in Braverman requesting that Mark Rowley is sacked - again. The policeman he interacted with did nothing wrong in my view, but he also landed him in the shit.

There are unpleasent elements in every protest. The police have a balance in allowing freedom of protest and keeping the peace. I don't think he helped. Also, for your own sake, I'd avoid reading social media on stuff like this, its just an amplifier for bigots on all sides. Just use common sense, avoid potential dangerous situation where you can, rather than try to score political points against the police. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

It was contrived, but he didn't present it this way. And he facilitated a shit storm cluminating in Braverman requesting that Mark Rowley is sacked - again. The policeman he interacted with did nothing wrong in my view, but he also landed him in the shit.

There are unpleasent elements in every protest. The police have a balance in allowing freedom of protest and keeping the peace. I don't think he helped. Also, for your own sake, I'd avoid reading social media on stuff like this, its just an amplifier for bigots on all sides. Just use common sense, avoid potential dangerous situation where you can, rather than try to score political points against the police. 

i don't feel particularly scared myself. like i said i'm a secular jew so i can walk around and people presume i'm just a white bloke. but it's clear lots jewish people who live in central london are scared to be "visibly jewish" and don't feel safe around these rallies, which is really what falter was trying to highlight. i don't think calling for the commissioner's job reflects well on him, but the choice of language by the officer was pretty appalling, and he was right to share it, however contrived the set up might have been. 

my mother is worrying herself sick with this stuff. her grandparents fled to israel (mandate palestine at the time) from ukraine during the pogroms. she keeps saying she's waiting for the cossacks to come and get her. i told her not to worry - i doubt they'd make it to her quiet corner of County Durham. 

11 minutes ago, NJS said:

It's also nicely distracted from the discovery of mass graves at hospitals in Gaza. 

must be nothing in it then - like there was no antisemitism in the labour party under corbyn, i bet. just the right wing using the jewish card to play the victim and distract from the real issues.

Ooooooh, I watched expecting thed worst, expecting to be triggered to fuck. But weirdly, its probably the only time I have agreed with 30p Lee. The massive cunt. 

8 hours ago, Gemmill said:

@Dr Gloom

He could not have been clearer that this clip isn't for you (ignore the Palestinian bit). Sharing for everyone else. 

Has he had some kind of Grandad makeover? 

Looks like the male version of the owld boilers in Fenwicks biddy dept. 

edit; FUCK ME! He’s only 57! :lol:

• Haha 1

Posted mine and the wife's local election postal votes this morning. I never normally bother with local elections, so hopefully there's people like me all over the country voting just purely out of spite and to make things extra uncomfortable for Sunak next Friday. 

I know results locally are Labour whatever happens, but I'm doing my bit for turnout. Others elsewhere can do their bit to boot Tories out. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Posted mine and the wife's local election postal votes this morning. I never normally bother with local elections, so hopefully there's people like me all over the country voting just purely out of spite and to make things extra uncomfortable for Sunak next Friday. 

I know results locally are Labour whatever happens, but I'm doing my bit for turnout. Others elsewhere can do their bit to boot Tories out. 

My area is a Tory area predominantly, but there's Labour flags all over.  

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Boris Johnson missed an opportunity there. 

Nah he impregnated both. The blonde is now the unwed mother of a horrendous looking child. The brunette has a coat hanger in a fancy frame with Johnson's autograph on her mantle piece.

• Haha 3

Something like 160 votes won it for the Lib Dems last time, so I'll definitely be doing my part. Already voted Burnham for Mayor and Lib Dem for council.

Postal vote because I'm not putting any faith in my awareness of what day is voting day.