Politics

Christmas Tree

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jan/13/boris-johnson-cancels-lancashire-visit-family-member-tests-positive-covid

It's hard to read Brandon Lewis saying "the PM doesn't believe he broke any rules" followed by "If you look at what the investigation finds, people will be able to take their own view of that", and not conclude that the fix is already in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

Nope, it's back. Just fixing his typo in the original. 

On the follow up tweet, there is Patel saying she would call the police if she witnessed anyone breaking the rule of 6 (article dated 15th September 2020). Worthwhile remembering that that rule was a stepdown to the rules Johnson broke on May 20th, where Tom rightly points out people were afraid to leave their house twice in one day for exercise. I remember going for a walk with my family, all 4 of us sat on a bench, and the police coming over and literally moving us on. 

8 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jan/13/boris-johnson-cancels-lancashire-visit-family-member-tests-positive-covid

It's hard to read Brandon Lewis saying "the PM doesn't believe he broke any rules" followed by "If you look at what the investigation finds, people will be able to take their own view of that", and not conclude that the fix is already in. 

I don't think it matters, nobody who is open minded will fall for that bullshit. Labour are 10 points ahead in the polls now with the tories sub 30% for the first time I can ever remember. And most probably more shit housery to come. The 1922 committee will act soon enough. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Renton said:

I don't think it matters, nobody who is open minded will fall for that bullshit. Labour are 10 points ahead in the polls now with the tories sub 30% for the first time I can ever remember. And most probably more shit housery to come. The 1922 committee will act soon enough. 

in normal times i'd agree. other PMs have been taken down by far less but i've given up predicting when johnson will go - he seems bulletproof and prepared to lie his way out of any situation until it's no longer front page news. what he has normalised is deeply worrying for our democracy

13 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

in normal times i'd agree. other PMs have been taken down by far less but i've given up predicting when johnson will go - he seems bulletproof and prepared to lie his way out of any situation until it's no longer front page news. what he has normalised is deeply worrying for our democracy

Insofar as he won’t resign, but it gets out of his hands if enough of his own MPs have had enough. 

29 minutes ago, Renton said:

On the follow up tweet, there is Patel saying she would call the police if she witnessed anyone breaking the rule of 6. 

TBF it's pretty likely that one (big-eared midget) member of the cabinet did grass on their neighbour.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Alex said:

Insofar as he won’t resign, but it gets out of his hands if enough of his own MPs have had enough. 

i wonder if the numbers needed will turn on him given the size of the majority he won in the last election and how in awe of his campaigning they seem to be. the flipside is they have to tolerate him shredding whatever was left of the tories' reputation for strength and stability. 

labour will call for his resignation but privately hope that johnson is able to cling on

Edited by Dr Gloom

10 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i wonder if the numbers needed will turn on him given the size of the majority he won in the last election and how in awe of his campaigning they seem to be. the flipside is they have to tolerate him shredding whatever was left of the tories' reputation for strength and stability. 

labour will call for his resignation but privately hope that johnson is able to cling on

Well the polls would indicate absolutely loads of them losing their seats, which is essentially all they care about. I take the point about campaigning but he’s so lacking in actual substance that campaigning is really all he does all the time anyway. I also think that once people realise someone is a habitual liar (quite how it took this long for many is another matter) then it’s difficult to come back from that. 

5 minutes ago, Alex said:

Well the polls would indicate absolutely loads of them losing their seats, which is essentially all they care about. I take the point about campaigning but he’s so lacking in actual substance that campaigning is really all he does all the time anyway. I also think that once people realise someone is a habitual liar (quite how it took this long for many is another matter) then it’s difficult to come back from that. 

i mean yeah, when you look at his charge sheet it's impressive that he's still standing. he has to go, you'd think. and yet he has survived so far so who who the fuck knows whether he'll somehow survive this too? 

5 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i mean yeah, when you look at his charge sheet it's impressive that he's still standing. he has to go, you'd think. and yet he has survived so far so who who the fuck knows whether he'll somehow survive this too? 

Yeah, it’s not like what’s happened in the past is something you can gauge this against because he’d already be a backbencher again if that were the case. 

32 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

The dead cats arrived :lol: 

12359322-2ED0-4A86-8D77-5BA8B942F5A5.jpeg

If they've been paying Barry Gardiner then maybe they're not the evil masterminds the rest of the world thinks they are.

• Haha 2