Politics

Christmas Tree

And UKIP wins historic election in the UK, first time in modern history that neither Labour or Conservatives have won. Double ouch. 28% of the UK vote went to racist fuckwits, only 25% of France's vote went the same way.

You could go for triple and quadruple ouch in Denmark and Austria too.

I read that a German neo-Nazi party got a seat in their parliament too.

And UKIP wins historic election in the UK, first time in modern history that neither Labour or Conservatives have won. Double ouch. 28% of the UK vote went to racist fuckwits, only 25% of France's vote went the same way.

You could go for triple and quadruple ouch in Denmark and Austria too.

What's racist about UKIP?

Their members? There is isnt a week goes by without reading about one of them saying something profoundly wrong.

Some of their members. Just like the Tories...

I'm tired of everything getting reduced to this. Racism is vile but it gets thrown around now about far too much.

I'm not saying I agree with UKIP or that I'd vote for them but to discuss immigration is a legitimate thing to do, as is the fact that Europe has gone from a trading arrangement to the most monstrous and expensive government outside of America.

I wasn't entitled to holiday pay for a couple of years in the nineties till 'Europe' forced it on the then Conservative government who were dead against it. People have been migrating for thousands of years, it's a fact of life, there's approx 2.2M British ex-pats, (immigrants) living in Europe at the minute I read the other day. There has to be something about being in Europe that benefits this country as even the Tories won't back out of it despite a lot of their members being against the EU.

Not sure that the Tory leadership have been saying recently, i dont really pay that much attention to the detail.

However, a cursory examination of the British press on a daily basis has given me the impression that UKIP's leaders keep come out with racist, homophobic shite.

So i googled 'ukip racist' and was offered 'quotes' 'tweets' 'posters' 'policies'. I chose quotes and read enough to confirm that the impression picked up by my eyes was in fact true.

I'd also agree with you that discussing immigration is an important thing for us to do. I would exclude any contribution from UKIP on the basis that they are thicker than Stephen Taylor.

UKIP are a party based in exploiting the electorate's ignorance and fears. They aren't a progressive party offering solutions for the country, they're a backward looking party looking to scare people into voting for them.

I wasn't entitled to holiday pay for a couple of years in the nineties till 'Europe' forced it on the then Conservative government who were dead against it. People have been migrating for thousands of years, it's a fact of life, there's approx 2.2M British ex-pats, (immigrants) living in Europe at the minute I read the other day. There has to be something about being in Europe that benefits this country as even the Tories won't back out of it despite a lot of their members being against the EU.

There are loads of benefits of being in Europe for everyone. Primarily the main one being that if Texas was a country, there is no way it would be the most powerful nation on earth. If it was, they'd have fuck all chance of stopping the Chinese replacing them.

There are loads of benefits of being in Europe for everyone. Primarily the main one being that if Texas was a country, there is no way it would be the most powerful nation on earth. If it was, they'd have fuck all chance of stopping the Chinese replacing them.

I tend to to agree with you, Chez. (About the benefits that is, if the Texas/China analogy was any further over my head than it is now it'd be in Earth orbit). :)

:lol: It wasnt that clear to be fair. I just mean that if the US states were countries (like the states of Europe) then there is no way in conjunction or individually they would be the most powerful economic force on the planet. The US states are stronger together, the power of their consumer numbers giving huge capital investment capability to domestic US companies. The same is applying to China.

The point being that the welfare of people in Europe depends on the EU economy as we (e.g. the UK) export the most shit to the EU. Like all other EU states, we sell to other EU states. Just like big US corporations growing strong by selling to US consumers. If we want to remain strong we need to compete with China, Russia, emerging markets and the US.

This will only be possible as part of Europe. UKIP, the SNP and the decentralising forces of Europe dont want the political implications of economic integration. I can understand that but its a trade off we all need to accept.

Gove is such a moron. reckons that school kids should stop being taught the likes of of mice and men in favour of Dickens.

Edited by Dr Gloom

Some of their members. Just like the Tories...

I'm tired of everything getting reduced to this. Racism is vile but it gets thrown around now about far too much.

I'm not saying I agree with UKIP or that I'd vote for them but to discuss immigration is a legitimate thing to do, as is the fact that Europe has gone from a trading arrangement to the most monstrous and expensive government outside of America.

Farage was asked about racism again today in a press conference and this was his reaction

A-punk-gestures-005.jpg

I'm not slagging Dickens but banning modern American classics is going to put off loads of potential readers. The man is a cretin.

I did Oliver Twist for O level and have no problem whatsoever slagging off Dickens - it was fucking torture

You don't have to have a political union with someone to trade with them though.

We don't have anything in common with China politically but we buy an awful lot of their stuff. It's ridiculous to think that Europe would suddenly stop selling to us if we broke away.

The fact that we aren't in the Euro has proved to be a good thing. Our countries are far more different than American states too.

It's too easy to call someone a racist. What does it even mean anyway? Does David Cameron hang out with mostly white people? Does he have a good spread of ethnicity in his cabinet? Are his voters mostly white and middle class? Does that make him a racist?

There are a lot of communities that have been completely changed by immigration and the people who live there are called racist if they say anything about it. I think they have a right to mind.

I did Oliver Twist for O level and have no problem whatsoever slagging off Dickens - it was fucking torture

Agreed. Good stories but fuck me does he take his time telling them! :lol:

Problem is we've all been forced down roads too quickly. Few years back you could quite happily talk about nig nogs on the bbc and vice versa etc.

Very quickly it's gone full circle and we're all meant to be indifferent.

It's PC bollocks and only long periods of time will change mindsets, not laws. Unfortunately the law makers tend to frequent london and not the outer reaches.

As for the EU, a few good ideas but what a waste of money gravy train.

If the mainstream parties didn't ignore public opinion there would be no need for the ukips of this world.

Problem is we've all been forced down roads too quickly. Few years back you could quite happily talk about nig nogs on the bbc and vice versa etc.

Very quickly it's gone full circle and we're all meant to be indifferent.

It's PC bollocks and only long periods of time will change mindsets, not laws. Unfortunately the law makers tend to frequent london and not the outer reaches.

As for the EU, a few good ideas but what a waste of money gravy train.

If the mainstream parties didn't ignore public opinion there would be no need for the ukips of this world.

I rue the day the PC brigade ended all the happy talk of nig nogs.

I've given up worrying about where this'll all end up really. Selfishness wins out in the end: if Britain is daft enough to withdraw from the EU I'll just get a Swedish passport through my mother and move back to Germany and suckle at the teat of Mutti Merkel some more. :good:

UKIP are a party based in exploiting the electorate's ignorance and fears. They aren't a progressive party offering solutions for the country, they're a backward looking party looking to scare people into voting for them.

Nah.

ukip_poster_racist_eu-471861.jpg

I've given up worrying about where this'll all end up really. Selfishness wins out in the end: if Britain is daft enough to withdraw from the EU I'll just get a Swedish passport through my mother and move back to Germany and suckle at the teat of Mutti Merkel some more. :good:

There is a part of me which thinks the morons in this country actually deserve a UKIP government - it would be a car crash but probably entertaining.

For starters I'd love to see the first twist of whether he'd deport his wife.

To be called a racist for anti-immigration views is I think the lowest common denominator. An easy brand to follow if you are on the left, and it's first year uni stuff. There is no hope for fair discussion with that kind of view.

That's why I don't involve myself in EU discussions. I don't know enough about it. But the manifesto of these parties don't come across as offensive to me. There are fuckwits everywhere and in all factions. Left or Right.