Politics

Christmas Tree

I'd be a bit sceptical of this European referendum, mind. Not only whether it'll happen but how it'll be worded. The Conservatives have been split for years about staying in or going out of Europe and it wouldn't surprise me at all if it keeps getting delayed with excuses about wording on the referendum question for example.

They really won't like. This was their best chance and they won ONE seat. They don't have the political infrastructure to better this.

First past the post doesn't allow instant success. But given their share of the vote (14%) and their 2nd place finish in over 100 seats, they are well placed to do better next time.

Not only have they taken over from the Liberals as a protest party, they are also getting a lot of working class voters who would normally have voted Labour.

Anyway, it's not something we are going to prove tonight, one way or the other.

I'd be a bit sceptical of this European referendum, mind. Not only whether it'll happen but how it'll be worded. The Conservatives have been split for years about staying in or going out of Europe and it wouldn't surprise me at all if it keeps getting delayed with excuses about wording on the referendum question for example.

Why would he keep this promise, when he's kept none of his many others?

Eh? What would UKIP even be standing for in 2020? Do you not think there will have been an EU referendum before then? That is after all the only reason the party exists in the first place, if it's not just a vehicle for the racist protest vote.

We will still be in the Euro in 2020. Look what happened to the SNP after they lost the referendum.

And I think a lot of people support UKIP because they think it's an anti Westminster party.

We will still be in the Euro in 2020. Look what happened to the SNP after they lost the referendum.

And I think a lot of people support UKIP because they think it's an anti Westminster party.

The SNP comparison is a good one, but that only worked because they had something meaningful to offer people across a broad swathe of political areas, and had proven this by being in power in for some time up until that point. And even then, I think this is a flash in the pan - they'll be burned in the same way that the Lib Dems were this time around once they have to take responsibility for policy decisions that go wrong instead of just pointing at Westminster.

At least this way WE get to decide and it's no stitch up as it could have been when Labour were keen on joining the Euro.

The good thing is we have a chance of getting a better deal, hopefully.

I think it's fair after all this time that the public get a voice.

The SNP comparison is a good one, but that only worked because they had something meaningful to offer people across a broad swathe of political areas, and had proven this by being in power in for some time up until that point. And even then, I think this is a flash in the pan - they'll be burned in the same way that the Lib Dems were this time around once they have to take responsibility for policy decisions that go wrong instead of just pointing at Westminster.

I agree with the last bit but they (SNP) are already backtracking on the possibility of moving to full fiscal. It would totally fuck their anti austerity line.

UKIP however are a growing force, not just because of Europe, and the death of Liberals and decline of Labour will only aid them further.

At least this way WE get to decide and it's no stitch up as it could have been when Labour were keen on joining the Euro.

I'd be a bit worried about being out of the EU with these bastards in charge, on the other hand, a lot of their business support will put pressure on them as they won't want to be out of the EU in my opinion. We'll see how it pans out. I still doubt it will happen personally, (the vote).

UKIP are dead and buried as far as electoral maths is concerned, and that's the only thing that counts. The only reason Farage suggested he will stand for the leadership again even though he's just 'resigned', is that he's probably worked out what everyone else has - that their popularity was largely driven by his ordinary bloke image. The only other person I know who is associated with UKIP's upper echelon is the woman who regularly appears on This Week, and she's patently a fucking idiot, with barely half the ability of Farage to bat away difficult questions about why their policies are so insane/inane, and none of the appeal. She clearly wouldn't even come close to generating the same level of popular support amongst the sort of brain dead moron who voted for them. Whenever I've seen a UKIP MEP speaking, they come across as much the same, if not worse.

Personally I think the Conservatives will reign back on a lot of the tougher stuff they said they were going to do.

Scrapping the Human Rights act and reintroducing May's snooper's charters which makes recording of all phone call details, browsing and download histories mandatory for ISPs with unfettered GCHQ access have already been mooted.

Get your lubricant ready.

Scrapping the Human Rights act and reintroducing May's snooper's charters which makes recording of all phone call details, browsing and download histories mandatory for ISPs with unfettered GCHQ access have already been mooted.

Get your lubricant ready.

I'm basically in the camp ..... "If you have nothing to hide..... Etc".

If it also means we get to deport terrorists and the like without having to fight through European courts for 9 years then great.

We managed perfectly well without the humans right act (which came under Blair iirc).

They idea of Europe was a trading partner not a political overseer.

Fucking hell man CT, we had 13 years of a Labour government yet we never got close to joining the Euro, primarily because of Brown. What the Fuck is this stitch up you allude to? :lol:

I Fucking hate the idea of referendums on any matter. It puts the issue into the hands of the great British public (via the right wing press) . People like you, who are quite frankly morons.

But because they have made it part of their manifesto (to sway potential UKip voters) it's going to happen now. Virtually every major company in the country is now going to be worried about this, Nissan could conceivably leave Wearside on less than a decade. Hope it's worth it for you and the Bullingdon boys... 👍

Fucking hell man CT, we had 13 years of a Labour government yet we never got close to joining the Euro, primarily because of Brown. What the Fuck is this stitch up you allude to? :lol:

I Fucking hate the idea of referendums on any matter. It puts the issue into the hands of the great British public (via the right wing press) . People like you, who are quite frankly morons.

But because they have made it part of their manifesto (to sway potential UKip voters) it's going to happen now. Virtually every major company in the country is now going to be worried about this, Nissan could conceivably leave Wearside on less than a decade. Hope it's worth it for you and the Bullingdon boys...

:lol:

But because they have made it part of their manifesto (to sway potential UKip voters) it's going to happen now. Virtually every major company in the country is now going to be worried about this, Nissan could conceivably leave Wearside on less than a decade. Hope it's worth it for you and the Bullingdon boys... [emoji106]

The stitch up was, it was going to be their choice rather than ours.

You don't want referendum and you don't want democracy :lol: maybe you should give North Korea a go ;)

I'm basically in the camp ..... "If you have nothing to hide..... Etc".

If it also means we get to deport terrorists and the like without having to fight through European courts for 9 years then great.

We managed perfectly well without the humans right act (which came under Blair iirc).

They idea of Europe was a trading partner not a political overseer.

Where are you going to deport UK terrorists to?

Do you think Blair is responsible for the human rights act? Without consulting the mail, whats the problem with it? How did we manage before it? Can you give examples before and after?

Won't get through the house will it...Along with half the Tories, all of Labour and all of SNP voting against it.

Where are you going to deport UK terrorists to?

Do you think Blair is responsible for the human rights act? Without consulting the mail, whats the problem with it? How did we manage before it? Can you give examples before and after?

:lol: howay man, your just getting me to type for the sake of it.

The HRA became law in the UK in 1998 by Blair.

Examples.

A right to life

Think we managed ok on this prior to 1998.