Politics

Christmas Tree

Capitalism was just a 'phase' to maximize acquisition and concentrate power. It was always to be done away with. Same with democracy (Greek ruling class dreamt that up remember). ;)

The real colour of revolution was always green.

They're running everything down now. New buzzwords are in place. 'Greening', climate change, sustainable growth etc....

You start an interesting debate and then take a bat to it with contradictory claims that the people that accelerated our economy to breaking point, have decided to slow it down by introducing those things as a master plan to retain the power/wealth they have accrued all while then opposing those things and investing millions in fighting a propaganda war to ensure no political action on any of them whatsoever to allow them to keep accelerating growth.

The companies driving this are vast ships that the captains can barely direct in any direction but forward.  Everyone in them is pushed to achieve and to exceed expoectations, sign more contracts, deliver more change, evolve better and faster products, introduce efficiencies that lower costs and drive profits.  None of them are looking to slow any of that down.  Only legislation has any chance of doing that.

You start an interesting debate and then take a bat to it with contradictory claims that the people that accelerated our economy to breaking point, have decided to slow it down by introducing those things as a master plan to retain the power/wealth they have accrued all while then opposing those things and investing millions in fighting a propaganda war to ensure no political action on any of them whatsoever to allow them to keep accelerating growth.

The companies driving this are vast ships that the captains can barely direct in any direction but forward.  Everyone in them is pushed to achieve and to exceed expoectations, sign more contracts, deliver more change, evolve better and faster products, introduce efficiencies that lower costs and drive profits.  None of them are looking to slow any of that down.  Only legislation has any chance of doing that.

Ship hit the rocks a while back. Being artificially sustained see sovereign debt, quantum easing, negative interest rates. This is last gasp stuff. They will pull the plug when it becomes unsustainable (it already is). One big trick up the sleeve not sure which one it will be.

Probably surprise me. But the conditioning of society to dial back Capitalism and move over to 'sustainability' has been in the pipe for quite some time. Lot of folk even believe it. :)

Edited by Park Life

Ship hit the rocks a while back. Being artificially sustained see sovereign debt, quantum easing, negative interest rates. This is last gasp stuff. They will pull the plug when it becomes unsustainable (it already is). One big trick up the sleeve not sure which one it will be.

Probably surprise me. But the conditioning of society to dial back Capitalism and move over to 'sustainability' has been in the pipe for quite some time. Lot of folk even believe it. :)

:lol:

giphy.gif

Quite good debate going on in here like. I think there's a middle ground between Parky and Happy Face though.

There is something going on, there is a definite shift.

Global politics and economics has noticably changed towards slowign down and sustaining what we have, and what we have is , arguably less than 1% of the highest GDP's countries populations (?!?) holding over 90% of its wealth and resources. Bad sentence, but I think it makes sense.

Not necessarily their own countries resources I should add - so say the richest UK guy probably has a fairly big stake in mining, housing, land whatever, in another country.

Offshore,  in the tax havens, there has been a very noticable move towards people having a "green conscience" all of a sudden and I do think its to do with the fact that many of these resources are so finite now, and so owned that no one wants to rock the boat.

That said, the current trend of turning "electricity" into money with Bitcoin mining , is a big concern...

Also Happy face is right on the money too, in most countries (not the UK though ?) - A CEO or Managing Director of a public listed company is MANDATED by law to maximise profit at all costs - being carbon neutral, enviro friendly, socially responsible etc can only be really done with company money if it can be proven its maximising revenues / profits.

If a director wants to "do good" he has to do it with his own earnings, not the companies money, as thats theft, as it belongs to the shareholders and not him.

There's also forward momentum where you just can't stop the ship from ploughing forward.

My 2 cents - The "growth" theory is all bollox and everyone knows it - it's absolutely unfeasible to believe that GDP, or individual company, or individual people can acheive year on year financial growth. Maybe from the 60's to now, but its all going to change (hopefully).

Quite good debate going on in here like. I think there's a middle ground between Parky and Happy Face though.

There is something going on, there is a definite shift.

Global politics and economics has noticably changed towards slowign down and sustaining what we have, and what we have is , arguably less than 1% of the highest GDP's countries populations (?!?) holding over 90% of its wealth and resources. Bad sentence, but I think it makes sense.

Not necessarily their own countries resources I should add - so say the richest UK guy probably has a fairly big stake in mining, housing, land whatever, in another country.

Offshore,  in the tax havens, there has been a very noticable move towards people having a "green conscience" all of a sudden and I do think its to do with the fact that many of these resources are so finite now, and so owned that no one wants to rock the boat.

That said, the current trend of turning "electricity" into money with Bitcoin mining , is a big concern...

Also Happy face is right on the money too, in most countries (not the UK though ?) - A CEO or Managing Director of a public listed company is MANDATED by law to maximise profit at all costs - being carbon neutral, enviro friendly, socially responsible etc can only be really done with company money if it can be proven its maximising revenues / profits.

If a director wants to "do good" he has to do it with his own earnings, not the companies money, as thats theft, as it belongs to the shareholders and not him.

There's also forward momentum where you just can't stop the ship from ploughing forward.

My 2 cents - The "growth" theory is all bollox and everyone knows it - it's absolutely unfeasible to believe that GDP, or individual company, or individual people can acheive year on year financial growth. Maybe from the 60's to now, but its all going to change (hopefully).

Fair enough, but what follows it?

Fair enough, but what follows it?

If I knew that I'd be a billionaire by now. Something to do with bitcoin and renewables, possibly...

RE: Corbyn, there already is a maximum wage cap on (I'd estimate 100%) of executives and directors - its called the "higher rate tax band" -> everyone pays themselves a penny less than that in Salary - and the rest in dividends or hidden benefits in kind.

*disclaimer* I've been out of England for 5 years it may have changed...

True story, when I was a director:

I opted to pay tax , and my accountant at the time asked me to find another as I was being difficult by not paying only 5,500 a year, to trigger NI minimum payments (or something like that). Too much like hard work not to follow the herd of tax dodgers.

Edited by scoobos

If I knew that I'd be a billionaire by now. Something to do with bitcoin and renewables, possibly...

RE: Corbyn, there already is a maximum wage cap on (I'd estimate 100%) of executives and directors - its called the "higher rate tax band" -> everyone pays themselves a penny less than that in Salary - and the rest in dividends or hidden benefits in kind.

*disclaimer* I've been out of England for 5 years it may have changed...

True story, when I was a director:

I opted to pay tax , and my accountant at the time asked me to find another as I was being difficult by not paying only 5,500 a year, to trigger NI minimum payments (or something like that). Too much like hard work not to follow the herd of tax dodgers.

Higher rate tax (40%) kicks in at £43k, sneaks up to 45% at £150k. There's plenty of people who earn way more than that. If you're on £300kpa+ it's probably not worth fiddling it for an extra 5%