Politics

Christmas Tree

It sounds like it's going to be pretty tight tbf.

It's incredible that we're even talking about labour struggling to defend seats at a time when they should be on the front foot with the Brexit debacle and the nhs crisis.

Even on the NHS issue, his pet subject and one Labour should be owning, Corbyn was lost today in PMQs. Fumbled his way through statistics, which May was able to deflect, much to the delight of the Tory benches. Depressing.

Whatever you think of Blair, he would have had her in pieces over this. Corbyn is as useless on the dispatch box as he is leading the party. The NHS is in a mess. Labour should be winning this argument convincingly.

He is principled though

Nice to see Labour have given up completely on Scotland.

It's a strange one looking from the outside as 55% did vote for the union Corbyn is talking about.

I know siding with the tories at the ref and being generally shit for years cost them but is there really any mileage in trying to appeal to nationalists?

It's a strange one looking from the outside as 55% did vote for the union Corbyn is talking about.

I know siding with the tories at the ref and being generally shit for years cost them but is there really any mileage in trying to appeal to nationalists?

You could try not calling them all racists and bigots, that wiouldn't be appealing to them just not libellous. Everybody who voted No will have family members or friends who voted Yes. They will get annoyed by Sadiq and his race card.

Also out and out siding with the Tories (they have advised supporters to vote Tory in some places) will piss off true Labour voters because as much as they didn't vote Yes they will be definite anti Tory people.

Besides a lot has changed since 2014, at the beginning of that referendum the Yes vote was polled at 28% I think currently it is sitting at 49%.

Edited by Kevin Carr's Gloves

You could try not calling them all racists and bigots, that wiouldn't be appealing to them just not libellous. Everybody who voted No will have family members or friends who voted Yes. They will get annoyed by Sadiq and his race card.

Also out and out siding with the Tories (they have advised supporters to vote Tory in some places) will piss off true Labour voters because as much as they didn't vote Yes they will be definite anti Tory people.

Besides a lot has changed since 2014, at the beginning of that referendum the Yes vote was polled at 28% I think currently it is sitting at 49%.

Khan went a bit far but he has a point about Nationalism - I respect the scots sense of identity and the desire for self-determination but that form of "mild" nationalism isn't always the case - its only twenty or so years since a desire for the same kind of independence led to genocide in the Balkans - admittedly that was underscored by religion as well.

Khan went a bit far but he has a point about Nationalism - I respect the scots sense of identity and the desire for self-determination but that form of "mild" nationalism isn't always the case - its only twenty or so years since a desire for the same kind of independence led to genocide in the Balkans - admittedly that was underscored by religion as well.

The independence movement in Scotland is far less nationalistic than the Brexit movement in England which the Labour party is now supporting.

Really interesting article here that I think probably is describing my position in the whole current political landscape. And possibly HF. Unsure about Parky, I still think he might be an anarchist.

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/03/why-the-alt-left-is-a-problem

We are the Alt Left, apparently. I basically agree, but would stress that this new characterisation has been established across multiple 'Ctrl Left' (for want of a better term) outlets. None credible of course, but it's an interesting assessment nonetheless - just opinion at the end of the day. One I probably agree with, at least in terms of the characterisation.

Much of the media spotlight has been on the “alt-right.” But the “alt-left” provides a mirror image distortion: the same loathing of Clinton, rejection of “identity politics,” and itch for a reckoning.

Disillusionment with Obama’s presidency, loathing of Hillary Clinton, disgust with “identity politics,” and a craving for a climactic reckoning that will clear the stage for a bold tomorrow have created a kinship between the “alt-right” and an alt-left.

She's fucking revolting. I see George Osborne is now picking up £650k per year for 48 days worth of work per year for Blackrock.

Just in case anyone was thinking that we weren't still all in this together.