Politics

Christmas Tree

1 hour ago, Christmas Tree said:

Rees Mogg is apparently making a big speech tonight which basically says the Government should stick to its manisfesto, Lancaster house, Florence views on Brexit rather than the watered down Brexit that seems to be gathering pace under the likes of Hammond.

Obviously, I agree with JRM and would rather Brexit was cancelled than end up with basically a poorer version of what we already have.

Bottom Line is that May is like a rabbit in the headlights and is trying to ride two horses with one arse. I think it’s time for a new broom or they might as well move over for Jeremy.

BTW, May talking about her own smear test during PMQ’s didn’t half spoil my lunch :(

May is the one holding it altogether. If she finally folds, and I don’t think she will - look at what she has survived already, it could bring down the government. 

The thing that will probably do for her is a collapse in the flimsy DUP coalition then a no confidence vote.  

16 hours ago, Renton said:

Obviously. :razz:

And seemingly wanting Hunt for PM? CT plumbing new depths. 

I think you have to look at my comments as you would comments about Newcastle players. We don’t have Shearer or Ginola etc so we talk up the likes of Mitro, Joselu etc.

No parties currently have any great leaders that I can see but hopefully some will emerge from either party.

15 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

May is the one holding it altogether. If she finally folds, and I don’t think she will - look at what she has survived already, it could bring down the government. 

The thing that will probably do for her is a collapse in the flimsy DUP coalition then a no confidence vote.  

I think we are fast approaching a tipping point and she’ll be gone.

39 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Sound like May's speech in Davos was delivered to a less than full room.

lots of people left during the speech too when it became clear she wasn't going to say anything of interest about brexit, or anything of interest full stop. macron she ain't. 

last year people were interested in her. we'd just triggered article 50, she was an unknown quantity. this year the davos elite know what she's about. who in their right mind would choose to sit through one of her tortuous addresses? 

9 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Another one!!!!!!

It’s one of the reasons I think May will survive. It’s the one thing she’s proved to be good at - clinging on to power when all the odds seem stacked against her. She’s doing a terrible job at pretty much everything else but he’s already survived several disasters and no one else wants lead the party till after she’s taken the heat for negotiating Brexit. And she apparently seems happy to be over and take one for the team.

The DUP/Ireland border question will be the one thing which she might not be able to control. That could be Corbyn’s way in.

8 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Got any idea yet how the proposals put forward in the Lancaster House speech are compatible with the phase one agreement?

Do you have a specific question? Most people agree the phase 1 agreement is a fudge of words to get us to Phase 2.

19 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Do you have a specific question? Most people agree the phase 1 agreement is a fudge of words to get us to Phase 2.

Most people? Can you be more specific? :razz:

Okay, let's break this down further into yes/no questions for you to try to get you to understand the problem. 

Do you agree that because of the GFA there can be no physical border between NI and the republic? Y/N

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0125/935843-davos/

But @Christmas Tree  assured us that nothing is agreed until everything is agreed.

What don’t you understand?

Fudge words were used to get everyone to Phase 2. Within days they were been watered down again to gradual divergence etc.

I honestly have no idea what we’ll end up with as it really depends on who wins the argument within the Tory party. 

Brexiteers have backed May upto a point however lately Brexit seems to be softening which is causing the current unrest. Literally anything could now happen which will determine the firmness of our Brexit. If JRM’s side take over then we’ll be hard brexiting next March.

What was agreed is in black and white. There is no fudging. JRM would have to go back on that agreement which would lead to no deal. Theresa May won’t do that. She cannot follow through with what she promised at Lancaster House.

7 minutes ago, ewerk said:

And there can be no watering down or fudging when it comes to the agreed legal text.

But you do understand that the “fudge” wording that got us to Phase 2 is not automatically going to be the wording that ends up in the legal document?